thinking about picking up a kettlebell

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by xSteveO, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

I need something to do, getting bored around the house and actual cardio is getting pretty boring. what's a good size to start and a good cardiovascular workout?

I'd say I'm a good bit above average strength wise

2. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

youtube will probably have some good shit

3. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

a guy at my gym trains with them.

He has told me a great deal about them. For one, if you're looking to pick one up they go in Kg's and I think he said to get the 20lb to get accustomed to the lift. THen work your way up.

a good cardio would be the leg swing, or thats what I call it, but you get in a semi-squat position and swing the weight between your legs for 10 minutes each hand.

4. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Thinking of picking one up too...if I do, and only buy one, I'd probably get a 30 or 40lbs one.

5. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Aren't they like $3/lb?
    Why not just get a dumbell and hold it by one side?

6. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

They are very expensive when considering the shipping costs

and a DB as I'm told just isn't the same in weight to body positioning and you get more momentum with the DB than you do with the KB

7. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

without going into incredible detail, I've trained tons of clients on the use of kettlebells, from 50 year old women to 13 year old athletes. My suggestion would be to only do through www.dragondoor.com for your kettlebells. Yes, they are way more expensive then the knock off brands, but the quality is worth it long term.

I would also suggest looking up somebody in your area who has extensive experience in kettlebell training and going to them for a few beginners lessons, as the technique is something far removed from almost anything you may have tried in the past. Very ballistic, dangerous stuff.

A 20lb bell is a good learner bell, but for real work you'll need at least a 35lb, a 44lb, and after you really get good, you'll need to step it up to a 53lb. All dragon door bells are measured in Kg, but you'll find what you need with some searching.

8. iCEgECKO

iCEgECKO Ballin' at 5'2''

9. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

10. Helios

Helios New Member

Quality meaning what? They look like any other generic steel or iron kettlebell. :dunno:

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  11. NUDES

NUDES New Member

I'd get a kettlebell too.

If I was a huge fag.

12. 4cd-Air

:rolleyes:

13. 4cd-Air

smooth handles with a big grip. easy to notice if you have a few different brands side by side.

14. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Thankfully I don't suck cock.

Else I'd definitely have an assortment of bells.

I'd use a half pood for my pozhole.

15. Abomb

Abomb New Member

why did steve get banned

16. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

What is the benefit of using kettlebells? Why do people use them?

17. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Protip: Take at least 1 class and learn correct form. Otherwise, most people use their back too much when they swing. It's not supposed to be a deadlift.

I would recommend starting with 26lb and moving up to 35lb and 44lb. Unless you're trying to power lift with them, then it's easier to jump right to higher weights. Depends on your goals with your kettlebell training.

18. 4cd-Air

posterior chain development and cardiovacular endurance, increased coordination, increased shoulder stability and mobility, imporved balance and overall mind-body connection improvement

shall I go on?

19. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Can you not develop the same things with a dumbell? Or is the assertion that becuse of the secret special handle placement developed by secret super Russian soldiers that are engineered for optimal performance in defense of the homeland that it magically develops all of the above much better?

20. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

:dunno:

21. 4cd-Air

you may be able to approximate some of the same work with a dumbbell, but a kettlebell is a live weight, with a dynamic center of gravity. All the trolling you do over kettlebells only shows that you've never been put through a kettlebell workout by somebody who knows how to teach. Don't worry, ignorance is not your fault. One day when you put on your big boy pants you'll look back and see the err of your ways.

and before you even try it, no I'm not a kettlebell kult member. I haven't even touched my bells in 2 months (god that sounds bad)

22. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

live weight?

23. 4cd-Air

the best way to explain is to think about doing a side lateral raise

with a dumbbell, the weight is centered in the palm of your hand, and distributed evenly on both heads of the DB. As you perform the side raise the weight is static relative to your grip.

with a kettlebell down by your side, before performing the rep, the weight is below your knuckle. As you begin the raise, the center of weight STAYS below your hand, due to the handle turning in your palm. At the top position, the handle is still in your palm, but the weight is now below your palm instead of your knuckles, meaning the weight is dynamic. It moves seperate of your grip, requiring increased neuromuscular stabilization, due to it's dynamic output of stress on your body.

of course, a lateral raise is one of the last things I would have clients using a KB for, but for this example I hope it makes sense.

24. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Actually I've trained with RKC certified individuals. Even they've told me that they don't think that they are some magical shit, one of them even told us to make our own and don't buy overpriced BS. This was when there was a Strongman contest (nationals) that had a kettlebell press event. This caused an uproari n the SM community because nobody liked kettlebells. They were used because the kettlebell company paid for them to be used in the contest.

So what happened was was lots of Strongmen groups bought or made kettlebells for one stupidest contest and then literally threw them away.

And before you start acting all tough nipplehead, remember that I can bench your max deadlift and overhead press your max squat. Do not forget that I am your daddy, your fat pale daddy. But your daddy nonetheless. I'm certified in whole foods too faggot.

I think that kettlebells are like anything else, a regular old training tool that is easily replicated. Useful but not some magical tool. The cults are what get me. People pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a training tool that was "reintroduced" by the great Pavel as a means to increase his income. Some of the advertisements for Kettlebells are fucking hilarious.

25. 4cd-Air

agreed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.