Thinking about major upgrades to my car, need some ideas/advice

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Laserbeak, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

I'm strongly considering doing something for my car. I love it for what it is right now, but I'm really starting to feel the limitations of the car's near 20 year-old technology.

I don't want to get rid of it at all because I like it more than any other car out there, and I guess it has more sentimental value to me than anything else, since I've driven it for so many years, and I don't want to see it go away. I can easily call it my most prized material possession; almost like a member of my family. :wtc:

[​IMG]
    The car, as it sits in the driveway collecting dust. :(

I really want to believe I can make it a "good" car again, so I'm trying to think of ideas with what limited knowledge of cars that I have, and with what scarce time I have on top of that, which doesn't help matters. :sad2: :(

So with that in mind, I did some research. Not real heavy-duty research, but just enough to start getting some ideas about what's out there, and I found that people have removed their old engines and put in things like LT1s, LS1s, and even LS6s.

I'd love to do something like this, but I sincerely doubt I'll have the ability, know-how, or tools to pull something this major off. I may just have a pro shop take care of everything, since there's one not too far away, and I should have enough money to have it all professionally done.

So I come to you guys for advice. If I were to change the engine (and likely transmission), what kinds of equipment (in general) would I need in order to pull something like this off? I've tried looking at thirdgen.org, and I don't understand a thing they're saying; it's all Greek to me. :(

If anyone could point me in the right direction or give me ideas as to what they think would be good ideas, please don't hesitate to reply to this thread. I don't want to have to get rid of my car and buy a new car just to take advantage of the latest technology unless I absolutely have no choice. :wtc:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  2. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

you know my thoughts already :o

3. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

well if your goin with an engine swap.. then its just gonna come down on what you have for money and what your lookin for..

im not a GM person but i can ask hardcore chevy people what they would do.. but based on my limited knowledge of GM i would prolly through in a LT1 out of the mid 90's f-body mainly because of the price is alot cheaper then the new LS's.. but if you are gonna modify the car.. it is just gonna depend on what your goin for... track car i think i would go with the LT since its a heavir motor while i think the ls1 is an aluminum block .. so you can mod it for road coarses better since it is lighter

4. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

I'd like something that can do well on a road course, and is real fun to drive, but also practical enough to be used as a daily driver.

5. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

You could get a shop to put a built LT-1 or LT-4 with the LT-4 intake on it for around $6-$10K depending on exactly what you optioned for and you would be extremely happy.

Have you considered just getting a stereo and maybe some wheels and tires. That might be enough to make it seem different to you, even though it wouldn't be a performance increase.

You can get a shop to build you another L98 engine for a few thousand and drop it in, $4-$6K would get that done.

6. Moloko

Moloko New Member

First off, what engine is in it? Im guessing a 305 or a 350. Is it TPI? Auto or manual? If It has a 350 I see no reason to swap the engine, you wont gain anything other than having to now buy more expensive parts.