Thinking about leasing a 2010 RX-8.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deusexaethera, Oct 5, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

$3434 due at signing, $339/mo, 36mos. $12,xxx.00 buyout or trade-in at the end of the lease. Seems like a pretty good way to get a car that I've always wanted, but I don't know if it will still be practical to drive it 3 years from now. I mean, I'll be 27 in November, so who knows where I'll be or what I'll be doing with myself at that point -- not to mention gas could be $20 a gallon by then. :big grin: :eek3: :wtc:

Disregarding personal opinions about the car (since I won't actually be buying it anyway), whaddya think? Does it sound like a plan? More importantly, does it sound like a good plan?

2. Mercennarius

Mercennarius Ultra Member OT Supporter

The RX-8s been on sale since 04...its due for a major refreshening or replacement soon enough...i'd wait a year and see what Mazda does...

3. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

Since it is a lease you will get to experience all the unreliability issues without feeling it in your pocketbook. Only way I'd do a rotary!

4. deusexaethera

On nopistons.com there are virtually no complaints about the RX-8. The unreliability of the older engines was due mainly to the turbocharging. You can still find the first and second generation ones running around on the original apex seals, as long as the owner made sure the oil injectors were working properly.

5. deusexaethera

That's one of the reasons I want to lease one -- they might update it, or they might shitcan it, but either way I know I can get one now, and I have really well and had it with my Volkswagen.

6. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

so do it.

7. jim1234664

jim1234664 New Member

horrible gas milage but otherwise sounds like a decent deal, you seem like a pretty picky guy so check out the few things that bothered me about the interior: the center console seems cheap and the seatbacks seemed too thin and flexy/ seats seemed cheap

8. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Also they eat oil, but thats how its suppose to work. The oil gets squired into the engine but its the way its suppose to be so if you don't have an issue with that then you'll be all set.

9. deusexaethera

Yeah, I think I've pretty much talked myself into it. Now to swallow the $3434 initial payment...

10. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

Lease a fast car?

11. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

got one, love it, u can pick up a used one for cheap nowadays tho, resale for it went down the drain, theres alot of decent ones for like 10-15k ish

im actually toying with the idea of selling mine and getting a 240z haha

^rx8 may not be fast on the street, but its decent around the track and probably one of the best handling cars i've driven to date

12. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

why lease though?

13. Havsie

Havsie When I die, bury me inside the Pepsi 1893 store OT Supporter

lease a 370z

14. Mercennarius

Mercennarius Ultra Member OT Supporter

This.

15. deusexaethera

So if it turns out I hate it or I can't afford the gas or they come out with a better one in a few years, I can hand over the keys and walk away, no questions asked.

16. deusexaethera

Not too keen on the 370. It looks better than the 350, but if I were going to own a Z it would be a 300. Problem is, those have all been beat to hell by now.

I thought about getting a used RX-8 since they did depreciate so fast, but I've owned two used cars in a row now, and while the first one was plenty reliable, the second one is a huge money pit and both of them were worn-out when I got them. I want a new car; something I don't have to worry about for the next few years, but won't put me to sleep like a Camry would.

Besides, I think I owe it to myself to get the car I've wanted since I first got my license.

17. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

What? :rofl:

18. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

404 - Fast not found. :rofl:

19. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

My point...he should actually lease a fast car

20. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

I miss mine. Will get another one once I graduate from nursing and only if they put that 16X Renesis in it.

21. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Leasing is for idiots, don't do it, just get a loan for it. I leased a car I wanted to keep, and while I sill have the car, it was a horrible mistake.

22. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

RX8 was a let down when I test drove it, the sad part was the dealer broke the engine going hard in 2 second gear. So when I got to drive it, the dealer claimed the reason it was lacking in power was because the compression was bad and that they could have it fixed by tomorrow.

I drove the 370z and damn that car left me with a huge smile on my face. It loved to go fast and it hugged the road tight.

23. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

:werd:

The difference between OWNING and LEASING my Civic was $20/mo for 4 years. So about $1,000 extra so I could own the car? Sounded good to me.

24. deusexaethera

When was this?

25. deusexaethera

Definitely sounds good, but I don't know if I'll still want the car in a few years. The point of leasing it is so I can walk away at the end if it turns out to be a bad idea.