MIL thinking about joining

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by morphine, Jan 12, 2009.

1. morphine

morphine New Member

i've reached a decision point in my life where i'm really debating about joining the military and would appreciate a little bit of insight..

background:
    23 years old(24 next month)
    6'0 150lbs
    can probably do a mile in 8..9 minutes
    not much upper body strength, wouldn't do well on pushups or situps
    in college...a year and a half down into degree

my apprehensions with joining:
    main one is a bit of nervousness about basic...i've lived away from home since i was 18, that doesn't really bother me. i am really close to family but think that wouldn't bother me. no gf or kids
    another apprehension which is really stupid but important to me is i'm a terrible sleeper and i picture myself having sleepless nights every night, which would suck obviously. would the military allow me to get sleep meds?

also, no idea what branch i want to join...i have a 3.8 GPA in college and consider myself pretty intelligent, i know computers pretty well and would also strongly consider medical(maybe nursing?)

thanks in advance guys, looking for any input...

2. morphine

morphine New Member

also, i have bad eyes(contacts). does that exclude me from eligibility for the AF?

edit1: one more question, im in school like i said and am currently under student loans, i'm assuming these are deferred for a while or..?

3. Ninja

Ninja OT Supporter

Finish school, get your degree, if you still want to join then go in as an officer. If you really want to do it smart, then join ROTC in college.

Bad vision wont exclude you from the AF but you probably won't get a flight slot (not that you would anyways with perfect vision). Since you're not looking to be physical you'd probably want to go with the Chairforce or Navy.

Student loans can be deferred (or payed off with SLRP).

4. morphine

morphine New Member

thanks for the quick response. even though i'm only a year in you still think i should wait? the only reason why i'm wanting to join now is because i'm working a dead end job and getting sick of tired of it...

5. Ninja

Ninja OT Supporter

Stick with it.. Look into ROTC while in College.

6. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

7. morphine

morphine New Member

hrmm...not the answer i was wanting to hear :( but i do understand....obviously it's my decision to make, so just have to weigh it out.

8. morphine

morphine New Member

gotcha.

as for the sleep, i thought that was probably the case...just dependent upon sleep meds, if i decide to join i'll just ween myself off of them i guess.

9. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

If you really want to get in and go enlisted, keep in mind that you can still finish off your degree after you get in and still get a commission later.

That said, if officer is the route you ultimately want to go, I'd suggest sticking out your dead end job until you get your degree.

10. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Eh we got 8 hours of mando sleep every night, unless you were on watch, which maybe happened a couple times a week at most. The only time we got woken up in the middle of the night was... like the... well I don't want to spoil it, but it only happened once near the end.

11. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

We'd get in trouble for fooling around at night even. They could keep us up after taps but it required permission and a reason from higher up.

12. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

We'd get in trouble for fooling around at night even. They could keep us up after taps but it required permission and a reason from higher up.

13. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

As far as sleep is concerned... basic training isn't so bad, it's very rare that you get less than eight hours of sleep after the first couple of nights.

It's tech school that sucks. I think I averaged about four hours a night the entire time I was there. If your time management skills are better than mine were at that point, which they probably are, you can find eight hours a night... but literally all you'll do is sleep, go to class, exercise, study, then sleep again.

14. Off

Off Memento Mori

lol, if you dont fall flat on your face every night at lights out in basic you aren't working hard enough

15. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

what branch are you in ?

16. SSG Schwartz

SSG Schwartz New Member

morphine,

Justas a suggestion, don't look to the Military as though it is something you want to be DQ'd from. I understand that you have sleep issues and you may not have much upper body strength. You will be trained and given the opportunity to improve your upper body strength if that is what you need. Sleep meds may not be needed in Basic Training, but either way, your Recruiter may send you out for a Medical consult to get you re-evaluated for sleep meds.

My suggestion, go in Enlisted. You can get you student loans paid off if you have any. If not, you may get a good enlistment bonus. You will have the opportunity to learn a skill and get leadership experience. Also, you will be able to take college classes while you are serving full time.

PM me if you have any questions about the enlistment process or the Army in general.

SSG Schwartz

17. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Air Force

18. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

I'm enlisted in the Air Force and like it. If you get a good job, and you lay your cards right, it can set you up for great success. If you are like me you didn't/don't have the $$$ for college, so I joined. I turn 21 next month, I almost have my associates and I've never taken a formal college course. I also have a TS/SCI clearance, which alone can get you a great job making 60K+ easy. You get the SGLI, which helps pay for lots of college, and even your spouses. You get to travel, meet lots of people, and learn a lot. Now if you don't get a good job, a lot of this may be different. But as long as you have a job you like that is all that matters. Right now I'm deployed, making around 3k a month tax free, and am banking most of it. Show me anyother 20 yearold doing that without any degrees, show me someone else that is responsible for national security, and millions in equipment. Most 20 year olds are partying it up, smoking pot, and cramming for test.

lol, that came out to a lot. Oh and i'm obviously bias :mamoru:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  19. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

The nicest thing about the TS/SCI is that some civilian employers won't care if you have absolutely no training or experience in whatever job they need you to fill. If they need somebody with the clearance bad enough they'll train you.

20. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

:werd:

It's like instant job. clerancejobs.com has some too.

21. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Bah, for some reason at home last night It was double posting everything I typed :wtc::wtc: thought I deleted this one.

22. morphine

morphine New Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses, seriously much appreciated. Will be pming a couple of you.