MIL Thinking about joining....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WaWaMKIVDub, Jul 11, 2008.

1. WaWaMKIVDub

WaWaMKIVDub New Member

I'm 22 in a month, live at home with mom, don't have a job currently (got termed last month) and feel like I'm not doing anything with my life. I am currently going through the process of becoming a Baltimore City Police Officer though, I have 3 more steps to go (poly, psych visit and doc physical). I have always wanted to be a cop, my dad is bmore city and 2 uncles are troopers. The police academy isn't going to start until September, and I'm not even guaranteed in that one yet because I'm not done everything. So lately Ive been thinking about joining the military. I'm not sure of what branch exactly, probably army or air force, but then again I'm not really sure. I don't have a girlfriend or anything, my family is ok with it and I could use a sign on bonus to pay off some debt. I don't really plan on going to college, its just not for me. So law enforcement or military seemed like a logical choice. I know that there is some schooling in both, but its not like a 4 year bs college degree that I will be paying for until I die lol. So I'm wondering what you all have to say about it. What branch your in, if you would have chosen something else, if you wish you wouldn't have joined, etc. Ive been thinking about trying to go in as a MP and then maybe after 4 years or whatever trying to get into law enforcement but on a government level. I need help with all of this, thank for your time :bigthumb:

2. J

J Active Member

See if you can get into academy first, because it sounds like to me you just want to enlist because you're bored. I completely encourage school if you can find a way to pay for it. I used to hate it and think it wasn't for me, but I sucked it up and I'm glad I did.

Do whatever you really want to do, but don't be MP.

3. Cheerio

Cheerio New Member

If you want to join, know why and make sure it is the right reasons. You are sacrificing years of your life and if you make a mistake you may regret it if not for the right reasons. I still want to be a police officer and I have a BS in law enforcement prior to joining the ILNG. I then joined the NG because of the sign on bonus and job opportunities were not coming in like I though with the degree. Just after signing my contract I was offered a job and could not take it do to the contract and ship date. Then after I got back from BCT and AIT I was offered another job. Well 6 weeks after getting out of AIT I was off to Iraq and here I am now. I have been told by other civilian police and MPs not to become MPs if you want to be a police officer. You should look at a second occupation to have a back up plan in case being a police officers does not work out the way you want it to and you have something to fall back on. That is if the military is right for you.

4. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

realize this:

If you don't like the police academy, you can walk away from it
    If you don't like the military, there is no walking away from it

5. WaWaMKIVDub

WaWaMKIVDub New Member

This is true. I wasn't going to do anything until I find out whats going on with the police academy. I know I want to be a cop 100%, but if something wasn't going to work out then I wanted to still pursue something like law enforcement. Your right though, I am bored and I need a career. I understand that I would be sacrificing some of my life, and I could live with that. With the police academy, you actually cant just walk away. I was told during one of my tests that if you leave during the police academy, or before your 2 year prob. period you owe baltimore city something between 10-20k (dont remember the exact figure).

6. WaWaMKIVDub

WaWaMKIVDub New Member

I may not owe them anything if I dont make it through the academy, but they do have a two year probationary period that you have to stay on the force. After two years then your able to leave and go somewhere else if you want, but if you do that before then, you owe some cash money.

7. bassjunky

bassjunky I'm baaaaa-ack!

All the cops I talked to said join the infantry, because being a MP teaches you 'bad habits' that civilian law enforcement agencies do not like...besides you go Infantry you can get sniper school and ranger school and stuff like that so you can go SWAT when you get out....food for thought. :shrug:

8. Jackal23

Jackal23 New Member

You can get sniper school in alot more than just infantry, and you can definately go Ranger with alot of things too. I suggest something dealing with combat arms. (11 Series, 13 Series)

I myself am a 13F. :p (Look it up if your not sure what it is :rofl:)

9. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

yea I understand that, they don't want to invest money on you and then you leave.

But you can quit the academy at anytime.

10. Mitsukillinsi

Mitsukillinsi Active Member

You do not need to join any branch of the military on a whim. It would be a bad idea. Like others have said Police academy you can bail out of if its not what you like. Military you have to screw up pretty bad to get out and its not like OK you screwed the pooch goodbye its a long drawn out process.

11. bassjunky

bassjunky I'm baaaaa-ack!

Okay maybe Cav scouts too, but sniper school and ranger you can't get in alot of different MOSs unless you go to Ranger Batt. Your chances of getting all these schools are alot higher if you are Infantry BTW 11series is Infantry...don't see too many sniper and ranger qualified 13 series (Artillery)...

12. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

You're 22, you have no degree. You still live w/ your parents. You're in some sort of financial debt. You have no job. Termed? I assume you mean fired? On what grounds?

Have you held any kind of responsibility to a standard which is good for law enforcement? Ie, why law enforcement like military.

I assume you've already passed your written exam, physical fitness test, and an interview panel? How'd you fare?

13. WaWaMKIVDub

WaWaMKIVDub New Member

If I were to join the military, honestly I wanted to try sniper school. I have very good vision, I can judge distance and wind direction, and Im very good with weapons. That leads to the next thing, SWAT. Another thing Ive always wanted to do, that or narcotics.

I was fired from my previous job for violating their code of business conduct. Honestly it was something stupid, and even my district manager said he tried to put me on final written but corporate wouldnt let him. I have passed my written, physical, psych eval and interview. I have my polygraph remaining, then my visit with the psych and finally a doctor exam. I have done just fine with everything thus far, and I feel that I will continue to do so.

14. WaWaMKIVDub

WaWaMKIVDub New Member

A little update on this thread. Yesterday was my psych evaluation with the doc, and I just got a call saying I didnt pass. My investigator cant tell me on what terms because its confidential, but I can re-apply in 10 months meaning that I scored a D on the eval. Tomorrow Im going to talk to a recruiter, and try to set up a time to do my ASVAB so I can see what jobs I would qualify for. Im starting to think I would want to go with something in Infantry or maybe even become a MP. It would be an incredible opportunity and challenge to try to get into special forces, so I would also want to consider that.

Any suggestions? Im shooting towards Army or Marines by the way.

15. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

do not go mp.. or infantry..:o find a job you can do on the outside world and stick to it.. then once you get to your first base sign up for classes to get a degree in your career field. There is nothing wrong infantry.. you just have to go in to it knowing you will shot people and you might be shot.. you will be shit on.. and you will be deployed for a long ass time and see some of your buddies die. If you can not handle that mentaly then you do not need to be in infantry.. it sounds like if you cant pass the psych evaluation then you should not have a gun in the infantry.

16. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Many people join to get the veteran points for LEO test :)

17. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

:wtf:

18. J

J Active Member

So what kind of crazy fucked up shit did you say to fail the psych exam?

19. WaWaMKIVDub

WaWaMKIVDub New Member

lol see its not even like that. The pysch exam was a few basic questions (why do you want to be a cop, who do you live with, what was school like for you, when did you last get fired, etc) It was all very basic, and only lasted like 10 minutes. My written psych exam was fine, I passed that no problem.

I violated their code of business conduct by looking up my personal cell phone account. I just looked it up, nothing was changed, its a very commen thing that happens with cell phone companies. So dont go thinking Im some crazy nut job lol. Im completely sane, and all I want to do is become a cop. Its all Ive wanted since I was in high school.

20. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

they barred you because you looked up your cell phone account?

21. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

you are not telling us everything...

22. drivenfaster

drivenfaster New Member

Hey man,

you dont want to be an MP.

/discussion

IF you want Infantry, and you don't want to hate life, look for any special operation community. If you think it is for you anyways. You truly can do what you have your mind set to, so if your head isn't in the game, then you won't make it any special operations community.

My experience was Army 18X program. I love it, and am VERY glad i took it. I am also getting a four year degree out of the program i am in. You can look u p the program online. Great sign on bonus too, as I noticed you said you had some debt. There are 3 guys here with me that were former cops. They love it as well.

good luck

23. WaWaMKIVDub

WaWaMKIVDub New Member

I am telling you everything. With at&t corporate (who I worked for), if you look up your own personal cell phone account apparently it triggers some kind of alert. So if you just look up your account you can get canned for it. My district manager said that he tried to get me put on final written warning, but corporate wouldnt allow him to do it. I was one of their top sales rep, I was there for like a year and a half, never called out or was ever late. My friend actually just got fired for the same exact thing this past week, so it definitely happens a lot with them.

My head is on straight though. Im one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I dont like to chop up small animals/babies lol. I dont hit women. Ive never thought about suicide, and so on. I know joining the military would be a great thing to do as I love the US and would be honored to fight for them. So it seems like a lot of people are telling me to not become a MP lol. I guess Ill just throw that idea out the window then. DRIVEN FASTER, what do you mean by special operations? Like special forces, or is this different? Thanks :wavey:

24. drivenfaster

drivenfaster New Member

Special forces, rangers, hell even psychological operations (i believe psy ops wants you to have a degree though). that is just army, then you have marines who have their force recon and who ever else... Navy has SEAL, SWCC... Airforce i think is PJs...