MIL Thinking about joining the Navy

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Stiletto Princess, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Stiletto Princess

Stiletto Princess New Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm 25 years old, I graduated with a BA in History in December and I have no no clue what to do with the rest of my life. I thought about joining the Navy before I started college, and now that I'm done I'm thinking about it again.

Everyone says that if you have a Bachelors you can go in as an Officer, but the recruiter I spoke to briefly over the phone the other day said that it was competitive. My GPA wasn't great (a 2.92) and since it's competitive I'm curious about my chances.

Also, if I enlist, how feasible is it to become an officer later on down the road? I was thinking about this because I'm interested in working in Public Affairs and she said you typically have to have served before doing that.

I also have some questions about the physical aspects of enlisting in the military. I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm working towards being in excellent shape. I went on a Navy website and printed off their fitness training plans to work on. I know this is a stupid question, but the requirements for how many sit-ups/push-ups you can do... is there a time limit? I know that sounds kind of ridiculous, but I hate assumptions. Also, I'm not the strongest swimmer. I'm starting lessons next month, and I was curious as to how that would affect me.

Any help anyone can give me would be so appreciated.

2. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

Yes there are officer programs that you can get into after you enlist and it does make it somewhat easier seeing as you have your degree...as far as getting into specifics as to public affairs, I don't know where that would fall into play, because the only thing that will you get you on that side of the house as enlisted is going into Mass Communications rate.

As far as the Navy Physical Fitness stuff here's a decent link it's not 'navy official' but it is the latest and greatest standards..
    you can also google it yourself just google "Navy PFA Standards"

http://www.navy-prt.com/

Yes there are time limits for sit ups and push ups...2 minutes for each of those exercises and as far as the run/swim...you can choose to either run or swim. (1.5mi run or 450M swim) and those times are based on your age...

3. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

You can enlist as a MC (mass communications) which is a somewhat recently merge of a few different rates including photographers, journalists and draftsman. That is basically the enlisted side of Public Affairs. You can do anything from while on a ship working on a daily newsletter, to taking photos... to being at a shore command and being a news anchor.

Not sure how shore commands work with their PAO's if they are an actual designator, but the public affairs officer on most small ships is just a collateral duty of some random swo officer. On the big deck i was on it was a MCCS (senior chief MC).. so if you're looking at the "travel" aspect of the navy (which is generally ships) then i think you're out of luck for a specific guaranteed PAO job as an officer.

As far as going enlisted vs officer. both sides you're gonna take shit. both are as mentally demanding in terms of stress put on you. i'd say a good half the time im glad im enlisted and not officer because the senior officers fuck with the junior officers way more than we're fucked with as junior enlisted. only big thing is enlisted do a lot more "demeaning" tasks... but if cleaning doesnt bother you, or physical work from time to time, then enlisted really isnt bad.

4. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

also remember if you're looking to go OCS you have better chances of picking it up as an enlisted than you do as a civilian.

5. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Where are you getting this 10% from? Lets just step back and think about it for a second. More and more people are joining the military, including those with college degrees. An influx in enlistments also means an influx in people trying to go OCS. Now you have a pool of way more civilian applications than you need, and you have your pool of enlisted. They don't know shit about you as a civilian other than you worked here, and got a degree there. As an enlisted, they have your evals, where you've worked, who you've worked for, and they know whether or not you are material they want for an officer. It's not hard to pick up officer as enlisted, most people just become lazy or think that other people are going to do all the work for them so they never finish their packages... hell half the people you hear about that dont get "accepted" probably never finished their degree and instead of admitting they were lazy just put out there that they were not picked up.

6. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

i would not advise enlisting and going for the programs if you werent going to be happy with just being enlisted if it didnt work out, i know alot of people who i thought were shoe ins for OCS who just never got picked up...not sure if someone covered it but the PT test for regular commands is usually 2 minute time limit each for pushups and situps.

7. Stiletto Princess

Stiletto Princess New Member

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I appreciate it. As for "demeaning" & physical work that an enlisted does, I don't have a problem with that, I just think I would do better as an officer because from what the recruiter said it's more managerial.

Now another question about the PRT stuff... I've never done a push up in my life. I'm going to start the training program on Monday, but if I'm not able to do a satisfactory amount of push ups, but I have a very good running time and can do a lot of sit ups, how will that reflect?

8. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

MOST officers are managerial. There are some that are not.

9. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

If you're looking for a managerial type job and have a degree then definitely go officer. You'll be definitely setting yourself up for a nice job when you get out, companies love to see that officer thing on the resume if you're applying to anything that is a "senior exec" type position.

I'll stick to the running the equipment side of things :)