MIL Thinking about joining Navy

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CDQ109, Jul 23, 2008.

1. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

I have about 50 credits towards college right now. 20 yrs old. Received an 88 on that initial test.

I'm trying to decide what training I would like to go into before I reach the counselor.

I was thinking some sort of advanced electronics or cryptologic field. I think I'd really like to be taught a second language and become an interpreter. Also nursing route sounds interesting and seems like it would give some really good civilian options if I decide to get out.

Anyone have any advice that could help me be a little more decisive?

2. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

do more research...there is a ton of resources out there in the end it's up to what you want to AND the needs of the Navy...good luck

3. Terror Squad

Terror Squad New Member

Where u from?

4. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

There's really no "nursing" field. You can become an HM (if it's open) and either go the FMF route and work with the marines or just a normal corpsman and be on a ship giving shots and stuff.

Cryptologic fields, CTN is the new craze if you're in to network defense. CTT have pretty good advancement %, they are the new EW's (electronic warfare) so you do that kind of stuff (jamming, which you never do since it's an act of war). CTR is boring, CTM is fine if you don't mind vacuming out shit for the rest of your career. CTI for the linguist side of things.

Since you said "advanced electronics"... you have ET, some of the NEC's for them are giving a $75,000 reenlistment bonus right now, but advancement generally sucks.

5. ggr12

ggr12 . OT Supporter

i say go for a linguist position, given you score well on the dlab(think that's right). i wish i wouldve known/read about linguist jobs before i joined.

6. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

.....Which can also lead to advanced schools as a HM or even a commission in the Medical Service Corps once he makes E5 via the Medical Service Corps In-Service Procurement Program. If he wants to become a Nurse, that's the best route to go.

7. Naygrow

Naygrow .

do not mention drug usage if you want the linguist route. 97 asvab, 142 gt, 110 dlab and i get shot down because of a drug usage waiver =(

8. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Those ETs are the Nuke ETs. They have the worst life out of anyone I've seen in the Navy. They own everything electric on the boat, and never get to sleep because everyone is always breaking their shit.
    Also, like you said, their advancement sucks. was 2 cycles ago i believe that the E-4 to E-5 advancement average advanced guy had 22 PNA points.

9. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

Riverside. :wavey:

So do you get an option as an HM to NOT go out on the field as a field medic? Or is there no gaurantee that you won't have to? Also the recruiter told me that when people become an HM after there 5 or 6 years is up they are an RN. Is that accurate?

What are the advancements for the interperters and HMs like?

10. Sharkticon

You won't be a field medic (aka FMF 8404) unless you request the training to get that NEC

NEC (Navy Enlisted Classifications). NECs are like specialties in your job field. So if you are a HM, you could have a NEC for let's say XRay Technician or as I already stated, NEC 8404 Fleet Marine Force.

I believe your recruiter lied to you. You don't automatically become a RN after 5 or 6 years. As a general HM, you will do a lot of duties that RNs do but, it's not like you can get out of the Navy after 5 years, apply for a RN position and expect to be hired.

11. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

HM is one of the rates that carries over well in to the civilian world due to the schooling you get. Obviously you can have pretty shitty luck and get almost nothing after A-school, or you can be blessed with a dozen schools and have every cert under your belt. It's just the luck of the draw how schools are done in the Navy.

CTI advancement is based on the language you speak. Obviously something like Spanish has a pretty shitty %. Languages are split in to 3 tiers, you have to qualify for the next tier up via a higher DLAB score. The top tier (like arabic & mandarin) have a near 100% advancement rate up to and including 1st class (E6).

HM have pretty low advancement % from what I've seen.

12. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

What do HM's count as in the civilian world after they finish their first 5 or 6 years? LVN, RN?

And I don't speak any languages other than English. Does that drastically hurt my chances of qualifying for that rate?

13. Terror Squad

Terror Squad New Member

He is correct. You wont advance in rank. It's too overmanned.

14. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

You're really not expected to speak the language when you apply for it. You take the DLAB which is a fake language test.. it is supposed to measure your ability to pick apart mostly the grammar of an unfamiliar language based on knowing certain rules and seeing patterns. Depending on how you score is what you can attempt to learn.

You'll spend quite awhile at school in CA learning your language. Not sure what they do with you if you fail to meet the standards, I've never heard of any one NOT becoming a CTI after they start it.

And more than just nuke ET's get the $75k, we have two that just reenlisted on board, all I know is they work on the radio comms equipment I don't know which specific NEC. Tomahawk FC's are also getting $75k right now.

15. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

keep in mind with the ET field, that the military considers its 30-40 year old equipment to be 'advanced'...there is some new stuff that we have but its not a huge chance that youll get lucky enough to work on it....

16. Sharkticon

There more to getting advanced these days than just the exam.

17. Terror Squad

Terror Squad New Member

Yeah but dont rely on getting capped. I'm shit hot and never was capped lol

18. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Right, and you can be the most shit hot sailor in the navy with EP's, some NAM's going in to an E4 or E5 test, etc and that doesn't change the fact that if it is only a 3% advancement with 1000 people going up only 30 are making it. You can pretty much assume those 30 are going to get near perfect on the exam.

Until you make chief it's all about points, you can do all the community service in the world and unless that gets you a cap it doesn't mean jack shit in the end.

Study study study, get an EP, hope you make it. About all you can do.

19. Sharkticon

My bad. I've been thinking like a E6 up for Chief. :)

20. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

thought you retired?

21. Sharkticon

Extended 25 months.

22. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

holy shieza i hope i dont trip and do that before feb :noes:

23. Sharkticon

I did it because I wanted my CPO exam reinstated since I made board. Plus if I don't pick up this time, I have 2 more opps now. ;)

24. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

damn dude. couldnt have lied? its not like they will know if you say no to drugs. :x:

25. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

all that for a hundred or so more per retirement check?