MIL thinking about joining natl guard...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by radfad88, Jun 17, 2008.

1. radfad88

radfad88 The Batman-O-Lantern

I'm 20 y/o and in sort of a rut trying to pay for/finish college... seems like I work my ass off at school and work only to just barely get by or not get by at all and it's forced me to take off 2 out of the 4 semesters i've been out of high school. Someone suggested I check out the National Guard since after basic training and tech school you are only obligated 1 wkend/month + 2 weeks during summer.

I spoke with a recruiter on the phone earlier today and the prospects look pretty good. I wanted to get some of OT's opinions about the real oppertunities this might give me. It's the recruiters job to make the program sound like every student's answer to college and life, what do you think? Is anyone here affiliated with NG? Could you give me a little more insight on how well it actually pays off to join?

PS: I'm a girl, if any of you on here are girls in the NG it would be a big help to get to talk to you a bit...

2. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

in for answer.

3. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

depends on the job you get. deployment isn't as regular as they said, you might be heading out to iraq/afghanistan or you might be sent to the border.

4. c019552

c019552 New Member

Well I am in the Reserves and almost done with college, so can't help you out there. I have heard about a program in the NG where you do all your training and then afterwards its like a 2year non deployment agreement. Might want to check in on that. My only advice is just find a MOS you think you would enjoy, don't settle for anything, stick to your guns and the recruiters will get you whatever job you want.

Also, i think you will find better info here
    http://www.armybasic.org/portal/index.php

5. shiba

shiba Active Member

ROTC. scholarship will pay for school and if you're going to be in the army and hold a bachelors degree, you might as well go officer.

6. 80Special

80Special New Member

The Guard might seem great at first, but once you get your civilian life going it can definitely be more of a problem than benefit. Those weekends are occasionally 3-4 days instead of 2, you have random stateside deployments for weather related emergencies, etc. I'm in year 5 of 6 with the Guard and if I could go back and do it all over again, I would've joined active; would rather have done one full-time enlistment and been completely done with better benefits than one enlistment with the Guard that continues to interfere with civilian life/job.

7. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

Does your university have a ROTC program?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  8. Cheerio

Cheerio New Member

Your unit must suck bad. I am NG currently deployed in Kuwait as 88M running long haul into Iraq. I think it is awesome for all the benefits you get. I have yet to have a weekend drill be more than 2 days. Our 2 weeks a month we usually go somewhere nice. We have been to Germany on one and the previous one did suck at Ft McCoy. We have never been activated for any emergencies stateside because out state has not had any until this last month with the flood and we can not answer that call since we are currentl deployed. It seems that our state is set up on a 4-5 year cycle with depoyments to the Middle East. Once you get back you may go in 4-5 years later. The NG paid off my BS degree and they are going to pay for my master as I go back to ROTC. Plus I got a $20k bonus for signing. When I go back to school I get the GI bill and the kicker on top of free tution to a state school. So its like getting free tuition, plus about $500 a month in pocket cash, plus weekend drill and I think I get paid mothly for ROTC like $400 or $500. Got to love the state of Illinois. States vary in their benefits they offer for the NG.

9. radfad88

my state is Ga. I'm going Tuesday to meet with the recruiter in person to discuss things, it might be something I do early next summer so that I don't miss a whole semester for training. I'll let you guys know EXACTLY what he says so I can get your input.

thanks,

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

:bigthumb:

11. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Ask your recruiter about the "College First" option.

12. Eugene Wildwood

Eugene Wildwood Foxbody for life!

Defiantly. I enjoy the guard, wouldn't do it any other way.

13. radfad88

this is exactly what we (my parents + recruiter) have been discussing.

14. Cheerio

Cheerio New Member

If youare thinking about going to college ask about College First. In my sate if you get college first in your contract you are "suppose" to be non-deployable for 2 years while you get an Associates degree while you are in the National Guard

15. radfad88

i've already completed my first year of college, do you guys know if it's ONLY your 1st 2 years they'll do the non deploy thing, or will it work in my situation (obviously ill ask the recruiter this).

16. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I'm in the Air Guard, well not for long, getting released early to go back to active duty Marine Corps. The guard is great if you have a great paying job that you love. And retirement in the guard takes a long time to kick in once you retire. You have to wait till you're 65 to start collecting retirement. Fuck That!

17. shiba

shiba Active Member

Again I have to say ROTC. you will get a scholarship that will pay for tuition. A monthly stipend, and you will be nondeployable for the duration you are in the program. On top of that you will come out an officer.

18. radfad88

no ROTC for me :hs:

19. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

I've been in for 4 years now, I don't have any regrets.

I made my E-5 when I was 20 (joined at 17), I will graduate college this Fall, and don't have to worry about student loans, etc. Plus, getting paid $500 when I'm in college a month, plus drill pay as an E-5 for a 20 year old is FTW.

My unit is just NOW finally going to Iraq next summer. :o

Also, get ready for the old ass senior NCO's to flirt with you nonstop.

20. shiba

shiba Active Member

there is no school around you with the program? my ROTC program was one hour away from my school, which was not easy at all.

21. RibeyeAndScotch

RibeyeAndScotch OT Supporter

damn e5 in 3 years as a guard, nice.

22. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

23. radfad88

no no i'm sure there probably is... i'm just saying ROTC is not for me.

24. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

what do you wanna do then.

25. radfad88

dunno. my major is mass media. i know i don't want to do ROTC though.