Thinking about going from a 97 lude to a 99 LS1

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Konowl, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Konowl

Konowl New Member

Thinking of going from my 1997 Prelude to a 1999 Camaro SS or preferably WS6/Firehawk (Firehawk = :yum:). I don't care about the interior, I've heard it sucks on the Fbodies... big deal. I miss the low end grunt! Preludes ain't bad, but raw torque :naughty:.

Anybody else made this switch? I'm worried about how the handling on the fbodies stack up. Straight line is good and all, but I like doing the 90 degree corners... :)

2. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Find a used 1LE. Double adjustable shocks on all fours corners + other stock suspension upgrades and they handle great.

http://www.1le.net/

3. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

i think you will be just fine :)

4. Konowl

Konowl New Member

:rofl:

Sounds like it'll handle good, but fat chance finding one in Ontario Canada.... :wiggle:

5. Konowl

Konowl New Member

How do you like yours? :)

6. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

well...

mine has had a few problems with stupid shit like brakelights and whatnot (1994)

but when it works like it should, when everything comes together and does what it is supposed to....

heaven :angel:

edit - LS1>LT1 so you should be way better off than me:)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2003
  7. stonesfan

stonesfan Guest

I bet that an SS will kill your qualude on a road course. Hondas aren't all that great.

Go for it. You will love it.

8. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

If you're a good driver the F-body will be just fine in the handling dept. You'll have to just get used to the differences between your Honda and the F-body then you'll be fine. It's all about the driver (when speaking of the cars in question).

9. Konowl

Konowl New Member

Stonesfan: Honda's are great, sorry to break it to you. Different strokes for different folks.

Ryuhei: Been reading a lot lately that the Fbodies handle like a$$. Dunno wtf I want haha.

10. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

F-bodies do handle like ass if the driver drives like ass. It has a solid rear and it's nose-heavy, so it's definitely not IDEAL for road courses or auto-xing. HOWEVER, if you drive well and adjust to how an F-body handles, you will be very happy with it's capabilities.

11. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

And are you worried about how it handles on a track or how it handles on off ramps and stuff like that?

12. Blaise

Blaise Twisties > *

Fbodys will feel like ass stock, even with a 1LE. Prepare to get used to a TOTALLY different driving experience. They handle a lot better than it feels, but it will need some better than stock tires and a VERY different driving style.

13. Konowl

Konowl New Member

Not worried about how it handles on the track no.

I've driven big heavy RWD cars before, so I don't think it'll be a problem adjusting. May as well go test one and see (man, it's hard to find a 6spd!).

14. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

If it's handling you want, it can be had, and the aftermarket is kind to guys who also like courners. the best shocks out there are the Koni double adjustables, but it will cost you just over $1000 to do all four corners, well worth it though in my opinion. Also you should get sub frame connectors to strenthen up the body and get rid of chassis flex, it's also going to help get rid of any squeeks or rattles that sometimes pop up. Springs, lower control arms, and torque arm should also be replaced. I spent about $3200 in the suspension on my car, and left the front and rear sway bars stock, I can guarenty you there isn't a honda out there besides an NSX that can outhandle me on a road course, in fact I've given several Vettes and Supras a embarassment out there. F-bodies can handle, but you have to dump extra wieght, go with good tires, and do the right mods. It doesn't have to be expensive, but you do want quality. Look to Global West, and LG Motorsports to get the best suspension parts for handling. Companies like BMR makes great products, but they are more geared to drag racing.

As far as interior quality goes, it's not that bad in the 98+ cars, though I think the Pontiacs have a cleaner interior than the Camaro. The early 4th gen F-bodies gave it a bad rep, but they really improved alot in the last model years.

One other thing to consider with the LS1, is it's reliability. This really is a good motor, it's very reliable, and it gets pretty good gas milage. The worst thing about F-bodys more than anything else is it's rear end. The 7.5" 10 bolt unit in our cars sucks, it's the weak link! If you plan on running slicks at the track and dumping the clutch, also prepare to dump some money picking up a new rear, in wich case, you're going to want to pick up a nice 12bolt.

15. My84Z

My84Z New Member

16. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Mine doesn't feel like ass :dunno:. There is a big difference in feeling though, even going from my LT1 1995 Camaro. I was shocked at how different the two cars drove... Mostly from the difference in low down torque though.

17. Konowl

Konowl New Member

MMmmmmmmm torque... :)

I love the Firehawk styling - yum!

Fuck the insurance is a knockout on those puppies though!

18. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

I'm not too overly joyed about the F-body suspension. I've got a 94 Z28, and have driven many friends LS-1 powered Fbodies. And comparing them to the Corvette is like night and day. I noticed the F-bodies LOVE to swing the asses around. Though they're a lot easier to control than the Vette and are a little more pradictable, I just think the handling in the F-bodies could be a little more "tighter" i guess you could call it. My friend Daniel dumped about 2,500$ in the suspension of his SS 01' and I've got about 1,600.00$ in suspension on my Vette and I hang on his ass like it's nothing in the corners. Though the rack-pinion make it more easy to drive and all that fun stuff I'm just not too pleased with the suspension.

Just my .02

But I will give the LS-1 and LT-1 their credit. Extremely strong and reliable motor's. My Z28 have 98,000 miles on it, and aside from the few mods it's still really strong. There's no black smoke or anything. I'm really pleased with the drivetrane in these cars.

19. My84Z

My84Z New Member

tell your buddy to get global west uppers trust me

20. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

I don't know what all he's got. But, I figured with all he's spent he should be able to dust me. Even when I drive it It's not as good as I thought it would be. But It's WAY better then my Z28

21. My84Z

My84Z New Member

it's not about how much you spend it's about what you spend it on

22. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

true...

23. Mordecai

Mordecai Guest

see AV

And your vette has IRS, and is about 300 lbs lighter. Both of those would give you a big head start on the handling.