thinking about getting new ram

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by anfrey, Jun 19, 2007.

1. anfrey

anfrey ɹǝƃuoɯǝɔɐǝd

my box is fairly old... i built it back in 04.... asus a7n8x-e, athlon xp 2600+, 2x 512mb geil golden dragon pc3200.

i'm thinking about getting 2x 1024mb sticks, hopefully improving system performance a bit. i know i should probably just built a whole new system, but i haven't the money for it right now.

so, what do you guys suggest and do you have any product recommendations?

2. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Your processor is going to be the bottleneck. Buy all new.

3. anfrey

anfrey ɹǝƃuoɯǝɔɐǝd

that's what i figured... being 32-bit and all... i can get a 3200+ for free, but i doubt have any noticeable difference... will it?

4. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

well ya wanna make sure that the socket type on the 3200+ is the same as what yours currently is. and...

also ya wanna see if its a Athlon or Sempron, Athlons are better then Semprons and so on and so forth.. alot of technicle jump i dont feel like getting into

Post the full specs of your current CPU and the 3200+ and ill tell ya the differences...

anyway, a quick answer to your quesiton wth no tech specs

for it being a free upgrade do you think 200MHz would be worth it? I mean ya dont even really know if it works. I dont think it id worth it cause then you would have to put that heatsink paste on it all over again and make sure itsthe right socket type and there might be even more involved then that.

Unless your experenced, dont worry about a lousy 200mhz. just build a new computer...

and for your furrent 2.0GHz computer, all ya really need is 1GB ram. 2GB is alot and alot of it would not even get used.

I have 1GB in my AMD Athlon 2200+ Xp (1.8GHZ) maching and I never go above 40%

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007