SRS Thinking about getting into drugs...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Saw3624, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Saw3624

Saw3624 Guest

Lately I have been going through a very difficult time.

Lots of things are happening that are making me so depressed, and even a little suicidal.

I'm sure it can get worse, a lot worse, and I have a much better life than I give myself credit for, but for some reason I really could care less, as selfish as it may be.

I have also been contemplating doing drugs. Not cigarettes and alcohol...stuff like Marijuana, Heroine, Cocaine. The really bad stuff.

I have never touched alcohol, or even a cigarette before, but have been pondering both very much so.

Can anyone give me some tips on resisting the urge to do any of these things?

Someone told me to watch Requiem for a Dream, and I did. Albeit it showing some very negative effects of doing drugs, I thought of them as very extreme. They were done that way to strengthen the connotation of how bad drugs can get.

So obviously, that didn't work.

Any websites I could go to that could help with this?

Or maybe you all could try and help? Doubt any of you would want to take your time out to help someone you don't even know personally, but there is always that option, you know?

Thank you in advance for any helpful replies :)

2. Duck Hunter

Duck Hunter New Member

Drugs are all an excuse for a person who has a lack of adventure or "creativity" in their life.

I have tried drugs, and they are waste of time. Devote your self to a cause: travel. Do something fulfilling which will add meaning to your life.

Alcohol tastes shitty. Cigarettes may make you look cool, but they destroy your health, which has been rehashed many times.

Drugs just change your perception of life, they will not make your life any better. You are the one who has to change your life.

Explore this world is what you should do if you want to get away. You just need a change of scenery, and you will feel good again.

3. xxxxx2dop

xxxxx2dop Active Member

Don't do it man. People that start doing drugs for those reasons often lose control and hate the person they become.

I think Duck Hunters suggestions are good. People tend to assume they are more trapped in their situation than they really are. If things are really that bad just say "fuck it" and leave for a while. An acquaintance of mine in college was feeling depressed for a long time. He decided he needed to get away for a while so he got a job teaching soccer in Uganda. He loved it. When he came back he seemed completely re energized. Going away doesn't just have to be a vacation either. Go do something that will make you feel good about yourself.

4. BobBarkersSoup

BobBarkersSoup New Member

It's not impossible to use drugs and still wind up leading a normal productive, happy life, however, if you set out with the mind set of "I want to get in to drugs" and don't even really know what that means, you are basically guaranteed to fuck yourself. You sound like you have little actual knowledge of any specific drugs. (I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got)

If you're depressed, unhappy with something, that is DEFINITELY not the time to be experimenting with substances you have no experience with. If you did that with something like coke you'de probably be on it and think "Wow, I feel amazing! The world is great!" then 8am rolls around and it wears off and you'll feel worse than before and want to do more coke.

I don't recommend anyone decide to go do coke, E, etc. but if you want to, you should ONLY do it if you are at a good, happy spot in life with a generally positive mindset. Otherwise what I described above is likely to happen. Wouldn't exactly be the same thing with other stuff, but for the most part there will be something along those lines, either worse, or not as bad. Also, NEVER EVER do anything without thoroughly researching it first.

My advice to you? Look elsewhere for happiness, because you wont find it in a bottle, through a straw, or contained in a capsule.

Also, go to erowid.org, read stories. There are TONS of user submitted experiences from every drug imaginable.

In any case if you're going to do anything, go buy a joint and hit up the grocery store for some munchies. People don't die or fuck up their lives because of pot, and if they do, their lives were probably fucked anyway. Although like I said, I highly discourage doing any drug at all if you're depressed and looking for happiness. It is possible though to have very positive introspective experiences on certain substances, but if you're depressed to begin with, you could wind up having the opposite result.

cliffs: dont do drugs if you're depressed and looking for happiness, you wont find it there. If anything, smoke some pot, but you really shouldn't if it's because of depression. Never do any drug without research. erowid.org

5. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

It's "self medicating". Go talk to a therapist. I'm wasted right now. Not good.

6. BobBarkersSoup

BobBarkersSoup New Member

Also, if you go smoke pot or drink or something and think "Wow, this is not very extreme or addicting, now I'm curious about other things" know that everything is NOT like that. A lot of stuff WILL suck you in very easily and you wont even notice it until you're pretty far in to the hole.

7. c0dyblah

c0dyblah New Member

how old are you (if you don't mind)??drugs are totally not worth the time, and/or money. :nono:

i've been through alot of that(being arrested etc.) but anyways, its not that great of a thing to fall back on esp in the state that you seem to be in. pick up a hobby(that doesn't deal with drugs) or something that would allow you to vent your problems out(sports, cars etc something more physical the better, so you can get all the negative energy out of your system).

like a previous poster said, after the high is gone etc. you're gona be back to step one, and wanting to do more.

btw should this be in asylum??:dunno:

8. Axium

Axium New Member

Being depressed and suicidal is a very bad reason to want to start doing drugs, especially heroin, cocaine, and alcohol. That's a one way ticket to addiction, serious health problems, and possibly death. Wait until you're in a better state of mind and then start experimenting if you still want to. Many drugs, especially psychedelics, can be a wonderful thing if used properly and responsibly. When they aren't used responsibly -- which is what you are suggesting -- they can and most likely will only increase the problems in your life.

Drugs should be used for recreation (responsibly and in moderation) or spiritual growth, but most certainly not as a crutch.

9. Daria

Daria New Member

You should go see a doctor and/or psychiatrist/psychologist and get a pyschological assessment. They will recommend councelling/medication for you. If you end up going for councelling, the councellor can recommend activities for you based on your insterests and brainstorm with you on fun things you can get yourself into.

Drugs are only going to burn a hole in your pocket and make you feel good for a short while and even worse than before when you're sober.

10. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

All the Time and Money you would spend on drugs, could be put towards improving your life. I strongly suggest seeing a psychologist to help you get started in the right direction.

11. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

Agreed. If you're not able to deal with your anxiety in a healthy way, it's time to see a doctor.

12. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny I Doubt It

:werd:

13. Hemorrhoid Rage

Hemorrhoid Rage Those who would give up essential liberty to purch

Only cool people deal with their problems by using drugs and alcohol.

14. Don Ganja

Don Ganja Drunk Driving > *

Useing drugs to escape problems, especially very serious ones has got to be the absolute worst reason to dose up. Drugs are not magical chemicals that will take you to heaven. With a mindset like yours you will more likely end up amplifying your problems, especially with chemicals of a more hallucinagenic nature such as cannabis, cocaine, lsd, methamphetamine, etc.

As its been said already, see a psychiatrist/doctor. They will give you much needed emotional counciling and if needed a perscription to anti-depressants which if used as directed and not in excess will give you the chemical boost you need.

15. xfuneral4aheart

xfuneral4aheart New Member

First of all, while your problems may seem pretty bad now, you will always make it out. While turning to drugs may seem like a good idea, it will only make things worse. Cocaine and heroine are addictive, your life will revolve around the drug. Your life will be taken away from you. A problem that will go away and can be fixed is not worth that.

16. BCKane

BCKane KPS 99

I suggest you volunteer at a drug rehab facility or any medical facility that addicts go to. It is pretty terrifying to see what they look like and what their bodies are doing to them.

17. Igneous

Igneous \\ OT Supporter

everything it seems that you want to do has very serious consequences and can really fuck your life up if you dont have a strong will and self control. dont you have any friends and such you can hang out with and try to find something to do other than escaping to drugs?

18. Hemorrhoid Rage

Hemorrhoid Rage Those who would give up essential liberty to purch

Sorry about this comment I forgot I was in ON topic

19. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

marijuana is not the "really bad stuff"

its not even close to the same league as coke and heroin

20. wing3draw

wing3draw New Member

i dont think you should resort to drug use. Drug will lead to dependence. If you try to quit that wont be the only challenge. The second challenge is your depressive state. Drugs are only another source of procrastination. Your original problem wont go away.

21. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

First of all don't listen to all the people that say drugs are ALL bad and no good can come from them.

However, don't EVER play with drugs before realizing the great power they have. These are not toys you can fool around with carelessly. They can take you to heavenly states just as easily as they can take you to the most bitter hell imaginable, all with equal cold indifference. They can kill you while making you think you're on top of the world ...

Don't get into drugs to get away from problems. They will only cause your problems to get worse. If you're thinking of getting into drugs because you just don't care about your life anymore then I can assure you that your life will become as worthless as you deem it to be.

And for fuck's sake, stay away from coke, meth, and heroin. They're seriously physically bad for you and as if that wasn't bad enough, they're addictive as hell too.

If curiosity gets the best of you I recommend sticking to weed and shrooms as they are pretty harmless. Physically harmless does NOT mean that they will do no harm at all. Don't let them become your life, don't let them keep you from doing the things you need to do to live well and be healthy, and don't let them become tools that you constantly turn to for running away from your problems.

And remember, too much of a good thing, is not a good thing at all.

22. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

I agree with most of the sentiments here. If you're looking for happiness through illegal drugs, you're not going to find it. While their temporary effects may trick you into believing that all is well, the sum total of the experience is not good for you, your mind, or your body. If you're looking for happiness, start by finding a good therapist. You need someone to talk your problems out with and find helpful, lasting solutions.

If anything, there's really nothing wrong with smoking pot, just so long as it is done in moderation and so long as you're responsible with it (i.e. don't smoke all day, every day, don't drive, don't go to work stoned, etc.) It's a natural substance, not man-made like practically every other drug. If you're going to try it, do it with a friend, someone you trust. That's all I will say on this subject.

23. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I agree.

24. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

:hsugh: cigs and alcohol are worse than marijuana buddy

but hey if you wanna fuck up your life with coke and heroin go right ahead. You already know what the outcome will be, I don't even know why you have to ask.

smoke a bowl occasionally if you want to, but stay the fuck away from that other shit

25. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

agree with duck hunter drugs are not the answer