GUN Thinking about getting an XD

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mikel, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Mikel

Mikel .

I keep hearing good things about them, and the XD SubCompact in 9mm looks pretty sweet to me :big grin:

Anyone know of a place that sells them cheap? :big grin:

I've heard of people getting them for around $375, if I could find a deal like that, I would buy one today :big grin:

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Walther > *

3. Mikel

Mikel .

You should at least change your avatar before jumping on another gun's nuts.

4. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

I've got one of those too! I like it alot, and it's THE bang for the buck buy right now. It's cheap, well made, accurate, decent trigger and lifetime warranty. Only downside I've found is the finish isn't as tough as my HK's or other Springfields, but it's half the money.

5. Mikel

Mikel .

As soon as I find the best price, I think I'm going to get a 3" 9mm XD :o

6. Sideways

Sideways Do I look like I give a damn?

I don't like my 3" Sub Compact has much as my fullsize 4" XD40.

Really, it doesn't fell all that compact :sad2: other then trimming off the slide and the grip, it it still as thick. BUT for a 3", it is pretty goddamn accurate, I can hit some pretty tight groups with it.

But I still rather carry my XD40 over it, I don't really notice a difference in size, but it all depends on how you are going to carry it.

So far the XD40 has been the most reliable pistol I have ever owned. I have been shooting HOT .40 reloads and the barrel shows no signs of stress. Haven't had a single misfeed and I have shot some really shitty cheap ammo through it :o

I guess the only con is the finish, but so far the finish on my XD40 has held up well, pushing 4000 rounds and I am not even seeing any holster wear on the slide :dunno: only places that show any finish wear is on the barrel which is a given on any gun and on the rear grip saftey which is exposed to the sweat of your hand most of the time anyways.

If the finish becomes a concern, then you can always send it back to Springfield for a free refinish or http://www.trippresearch.com/ and get their awesome Cobra Chrome finish!

7. Mikel

Mikel .

Yeah, if I get one, I'll have it sent to Robar or something similar for plating.

8. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

Mine has wear on the grip safety and it just doesn't stand up to little nicks and scraps like my others. It has a few little nicks that bother me, but like I said, it's a $400 gun and shoots so well. I think I'll live w/ it!!

9. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

jeez, you people pay so much for something that needn't cost that much. once again, i'm going to chime in and say that if you're going to buy an XD, try to find an HS2000 first, since it'll be the same thing, just half the price. of course, i don't think you can find compact HS2000's. anyways, in my area, a glock 19 goes for $480 new. i'd gladly pay that to have something that's been tested harder, longer, and has performed better than any other autopistol ever. XDs just haven't been through as much, so for defense, i won't own one. for fun, i'd own an HS2000.

but they are good firearms, and more comfortable than glocks.

10. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

And worth every penny for it!! I can't shoot GLocks for shit, but I'm deadly w/ an XD. I know I'm paying extra for it to be labeled "Springfeild Armory" but I'm ok with that just knowing I'll have the support if I need it.

11. Mikel

Mikel .

I already have a Sig P239 :p

12. Sideways

Checked my logs... this officially makes just a little over 5000 rounds through it :big grin:

Finish is holding up great, dunno what the fuck the other people are doing with their guns :dunno:

Biggest decision now is if I want to buy a BiTone XD 4" or just get this one Cobra Chromed, BUT they are cheap enough I might just have to buy a 3rd XD :o

[​IMG]

13. Mikel

Mikel .

Anyone own a subcompact? :o

14. Sideways

:slap:

"I don't like my 3" Sub Compact has much as my fullsize 4" XD40."

15. Mikel

Mikel .

Reading comprehension > Me.

Why don't you like it as much? Grip size? How big are you?

16. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i believe some people have had success using Beretta 92 magazines. (Remembering that it must still work in the original gun after modding to be legal, i don't know if such conversions were legal.)

The 9mm XD trick is simply buy a XD40 mag and load it with 9mm. (14rd? 15rd? Don't remember.) Fits perfectly, and according to the XD crowd, functions perfectly as well. i'm sure the ATF will find someway to close up such a loophole eventually, but as it stands now, perfectly legal as it still functions and holds 10rds in the pistol it was designed for.

17. Sideways

It's not as comfortable as the fullsize, plus being as thick it doesn't really feel that much more compact.

18. Enigma

Enigma Guest

sideways.. i've heard others talking about the finish on their xd's looking like crap after a while too.. I haven't fired enough through mine to really tell.. but what do you clean yours with? I wonder if they are just cleanin em with some cheap stuff thats fockin it all up.. :dunno:

19. Sideways

XD40 mags are direct fit into the XD9 with no modification and will hold 15 rounds of 9mm.

20. Sideways

The barrel gets cleaned with Hoppe's #9 Nitro Solvent, otherwise only other cleaning is getting rubbed down with a clean rag, I don't use any other chemical cleaner on the slide.

21. Sideways

I used to reload my own ammo, but now my buddy does it for me. The ammo in the above picture was reloaded by my friend. It only costs me $5.50 per 50 rounds. So it's cheap enough that I can go shooting alot.

22. Mikel

Mikel .

Seen them around $400 on gunbroker, I'm going to see what I can do locally.

23. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

I paid 410 for mine.