GUN Thinking about getting an AK

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by VanCandy, Mar 5, 2006.

1. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

I saw the sale page for dunhams today and it listed the WASR-10 hi cap at $320 (i think it was around there). Ive never owned an AK type rifle, so im looking for others opinions on this gun. How is the price? How is the quality compared with other AK's?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

$320 meh its ok AIM was selling them for $280 not to long ago. This place local to you? Its worth a few extra bucks if you can go through some of them to pick out your own, things to be wary about with WASR's are trigger slap(wont know till you fire it) and canted sights, which sometimes you can tell by just looking at it. Might have a bunch of metal shavings inside it, Century doesnt seem to clean them up after they dremel out the mag well. If you can afford a bit more for a Yugo kit go that route, but over all the romanian guns are all decent as long as they dont have any of the above mentioned problems.

3. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

Yeah, im kind of on a budget, so cheap is good. The place is local, just a few miles away. Ive heard trigger slap could be a problem on these, but i guess it can be fixed also. Im just looking for something cheap to go with my sks when i take it to the range. This would be good since they both take the same ammo.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trigger slap can be fixed with a G2 trigger from Tapco for $30-40 no personal experience with them, I have a RSA trigger package and love it the RSA is a bit more can find them for $75ish, I liked the first one enough on my SAR to get a second one now both my SAR1 and SAR2 have RSA, neither had trigger slap originally when I got them, just wanted a better feeling trigger.

5. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

Ive never bought a rifle online. Is it pretty easy to go about transfering it through a local dealer? This way i may be able to get this same rifle cheaper through someone like AIM

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Talk to a couple local shops see what they charge you to do a transfer(should be $20-25), usually if I'm not saving alot of money I'll just support a local shop, figure out what it'll cost ya after shipping and the FFL's fee if its a decent ammount of money get it online.

7. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Good luck finding 7.62x39 ammo

8. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

uhhh wolf ammo from dunhams. i saw boxes and boxes of it there today.

9. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I saw cases and cases of wolf 7.62 at the last gunshow I went to. 159.99 for a case of 1000. I dont know if that is good or not, but the .223 wolf was 119.99 for 1000.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Meh hopfully the 7.62 comes back down once all the backorders get caught up, last 1000 round case of Wolf I paid $90.

11. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

I bought a sardine can of 640 rounds of 122 gr. fmj non-corrosive for $60, so you got a better deal than I did. Where'd you pick your's up at?

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This was before the shortage started when everyone was selling it for $89 a case, I keep most of my ammo stockpiled, since the shortage my best price was $54 for a 640rd wolf spam can from sportsmans guide. I still have like 4k rounds of Wolf left.. closer to 5k actually if I take into account all my mag's :o

13. mooredodge

That's where I got mine too, my price including the shipping was about $60. I think it's about $60 now without shipping, but I don't know if it's in stock or not. I haven't even opened my can yet, I don't shoot my sks much. :hs:

edit - yeah, it's $70 now, here's the link: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=205292

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I placed the order back in Oct got in Jan :mad: but the original price was like $64 shipped but I had an online coupon code for $10 off

15. mooredodge

:mamoru: I've had mine for about a year now, got the buyer's club discount on it which was about $5. I dunno if I'll ever open that fucking can. :rofl: I've only shot about 40 rounds through it, which was some winchester ammo I got at wal-mart for about $20 a box if I remember correctly, may have been $15 each, not sure.

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've got a few unopened spam cans of different calibers, I'm trying to shoot up all my loose stuff and keep spam cans for my stockpile, you need to shoot it more, I've not shot anything but my handguns and 9mm AR lately though too cold for outdoor range, and no point in shooting rifles at indoor where max range is like 25 yards.

17. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I am going to probably buy a Wasr-10 later this year, I will buy locally for $349.
    You might find it a tad cheaper online, but then factor in shipping and FFL and how long you want to wait for it.

18. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

$320 is what i paid at the gunsshow for a wasr10 as crappy as it is, it's a decent plinker

19. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

How much for a good AK?

20. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Arsenals start out $5-600 and up, I'de say Arsenal is one of the best available right now. If you shop around you can get a good used AK for less, used stuff thats good and would be cheaper, SLR series, Chinese(I consider the non slant cut recievers better then any of the rommy rifles and alot of the kit builds currently available) havnt seen a good deal on used arsenal ak, they seem to always sell for close to there new price.

21. Y2kAccord

Its an AK, who cares if its pretty, get a Wasr-10 and save the money for some Wolf.

22. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

Well, i got it. Doesnt look like its canted at all, and if it is its very minor. Magazines wobble a bit in the gun but i hear that can be fixed by using those waffle ones instead, which ill have to try. Now to just get out to the range.

23. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:cool: mags will wobble in the WASR more then others due to lack of magwell dimples, dunno if waffles will make them sturdier, my wasr is 5.45 no waffle mags for that. As long as it doesnt effect any reliability I wouldnt worry about it, can usually get 2 steel mags for price of one waffle, may as well stick with the steel ones for the price, or get RPK mags for price of 30rd waffles.

24. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

Yeah, it wont effect it at all... so i hear. But its just small things like that that bother me.

25. Y2kAccord

My friend has 2 Wasrs and his mags fit in pretty good, he is happy with both, I plan on getting one