GUN Thinking about getting a Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Demo Dick, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Demo Dick

Demo Dick I will treat you all alike. Just Like Shit!

Dicks has them on sale for 449.98

>>>>>link to gun<<<<<

Pretty much the same as the police model (tactical) but has a shitty stock and a wimpy scope on it.

The stock will be replaced as will the scope. I would most likely replace the stock even on the tactical, and I can use the scope on one of my shitty rifels

Now .308 or .223

I had the Savage 10fp a few years ago in .308

.308 is obviously way more expensive to shoot (i do not handload)
    .223 well.....what are the negatives?

input?

Thanks all

2. Demo Dick

3. If you're only going to use this thing to punch holes in paper at a distance of 200-300 yards, get the .223. If you intend to use this to hunt or to shoot targets past 300 yards, get the .308.

4. Demo Dick

kind of what I was thinking.....

I have heard on the savage you can switch out the barrels (never been much of a tinker when it comes to my guns)

hell I do not even know if I can find a place to shoot around here that is further than 300 yards

5. The Savages with barrels that can be swapped out use a barrel nut to lock the barrel in place, which allows for proper headspacing without having to match each barrel to each action. It's definitely easier than swapping barrels on a different gun, but it's not something that you just can throw together.

The general consensus here is if you're on a budget and you're only ever looking to use the rifle in its factory configuration to shoot occasionally, the Savage is probably a better buy than the Remington. If you're looking to get more serious with the rifle and start using aftermarket parts, then you'll definitely want the Remington.

6. Demo Dick

Thanks for the input man

7. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I considered getting one last year and never did, I will say the stock felt a lot better than I expected (though I would replace it on looks alone :mamoru:).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  8. Demo Dick

Pretty much

I have a 30/30 I may throw the scope on.....this will be a long ter project.....probably got for some good optics first, then replace the stock.......

Face it I do not need to be doing .1250 MOA at 4,000 yards right away;), just something to mave some fun with and maybe kill a critter or two.