GUN Thinking about getting a Kershaw Leek as a carrier

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bad Mojo, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

and retiring my SOG Flash II.

Anybody got any personal thoughts on the Leek?

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i couldn't find the leek on kershaw's site, but then, i'm also an idiot. anyways, i currently carry as my daily knife a kershaw blackout. i like it, and the speedsafe opening. i was 10 million times more happy with my kershaw avalanche, before i lost it, but no one wants to keep them in stock, so i had to settle for another knife like it, but with a different handle. back on track: if the leek is in the same line as the scallion and chive, i'd say sure, get it. the quality of kershaw knives is great, and the speedsafe mechanism is even better. if this "leek" isn't a ken onion design, then ignore everything about the speedsafe thing.

3. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

That was actually one of the knives I looked at :)
    I'm partial to open-assist now though (my SOG spoiled me!) and Columbia River (who makes kick ass knives!) hasn't adopted the technology yet. I'll probably get a CR when they do though :bigthumb:

4. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Thanks for the info :bigthumb: It's a Ken Onion knife, and actually the bigger brother of the Chive. I'm surprised it's not on the site yet, it was voted knife of the year in 2002. Here's the Chesapeake Knife & Tool companies page on it...
    http://www.chesapeakeknifeandtool.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/ker-leek.htm?L+scstore+xxcf5711ff5f8f5f+1063130531

Two of my buddies carry Blackouts and that's what got me interested in Kershaw - I had handled one of their regular folders a long time ago and didn't like the feel of the knife, but the Blackout has a much better open-assist feel than my SOG. It opens with a *snap* sound where my SOG more opens with a *click*. It's still a good knife (my SOG) but the Zytel handle has taken a beating causing the clip to become loose... So I'm looking to move on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2003
  5. Redmouse

Redmouse Just looking...

I carry a Kershaw Leek 1660 non-serrated. After a week of carrying it, I stopped looking at other knives. Maybe except for the half serrated version...

6. Mikel

Mikel .

I've had a whirlwind for 2 years :hs:

7. footratfunkface

the whirlwind and the blackout are good knives, but the handles are slippery, compared to the boa and the avalanche. the avalanche has by far the best grip i've ever found on a folder. EVER.

i've never had the opportunity to play with a SOG knife, so i can't make my own comparisons, but you've had the chance to play with it and the kershaw, so you can do it yourself. if autos weren't such a hassle, i'd also recommend a benchmade that fits your hand. however, police and the likes generally frown on autos unless you've got less than two hands. the ken onion knives are good because they're legal, and if you work where you need quick access to a cutting tool, a liner-locking speedsafe-opening knife is awesome. one handed opening and closing.

8. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

The Leek has a solid stainless steel handle, with no texture so it's probably not something I'll use in wet/slippery situations... For work that dirty I usually fall back to one of my cheaper knives. I work with electronics, and do a wide range of stuff, to include cut/fabricate cables and stuff on occasion, which is one reason I carry. Maryland has pretty light laws on knives, with only fixed blade and automatics being prohibited (fixed blades are allowed if your hunting however). On folders they really have no guidance, pretty much if it folds and isn't an auto, it's legal. However, working on a government installation, federal law states no bigger than a 2 1/2" blade. The Leek is a 3", but I've never been hassled before and the Leek is 1/2" shorter than my SOG, so I should be good.

Thanks for all the info, youve been a great help! :bigthumb:

Just ordered a Leek off eBay for $37.38 shipped =)

9. footratfunkface

be careful, because while your job does justify the opening mechanism, it may not justify the length. and they may be sticklers for the law if you're caught. so don't stab anyone with it. not that a 2 1/2" nonserrated blade would make a good stabbing utensil.

10. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Actually my job does regulate length... I work on a federal installation, and federal law limits the blade to 2 1/2 inches when on a federal installation (military base, pentagon, etc. etc)... Unless your job specifically spells out a need for a larger knife. Most allow the carrying of Leathman or Gerber multi-tools even though they have longer than 2 1/2 blades because it's generally considered a "tool" and not just a knife.

But, since every now and then the need does arise for a blade I just take the risk and carry. I usually float between 3 and 3 1/2 inches. Don't want to go to big, I think walking in with my Gerber Bowie might cause a scene :bigthumb:

As for stabbing utensil's, I have a certain respect for small concealable knives - They may not stab well, but they cut. I watched a fight outside a bar in Texas, and one guy had just a small Old Timer that he cupped inside his hand. When the fight was over, his opponent looked like he had been attacked with a chainsaw. He had cuts all over, face, arms, chest, stomach. This guy just kept going in and giving shallow cuts (he only kept about an inch of blade visible). Even though he got quite a beating, it was obvious who the real winner was, the one not getting several hundred stitches :eek3:

But, I got better knives for defense, this will be purely a tool :)