Thinking about getting a Jeep Cherokee. Educate me.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Cue-Ball, May 2, 2005.

1. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

I'm thinking about buying a Jeep Cherokee soon. I want a 4-door, 4X4 with the 4.0L six. Manuals seem to be nearly impossible to find, so I'll probably end up with an auto. I'm hoping to stay around $8500 or so and get a 2000 or '01, if possible. This will be a daily driver with some light off-road and winter ski duty. Can you Jeep guys give me pointers on what to look out for and/or things to avoid? I know the engine was changed in the '00 model year - anything good or bad about this change? What can I expect to have to fix if/when the thing hits 80-100K miles?

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

I bought an 00 XJ Sport last summer.
    Surprised to see that it has DIS ignition. Think that started in the 00 model year.
    Check the rear axle tag for the model. Try to get one with the Chrysler 8.25" rear end, not the Dana 35. (D35 is weaker). Also try to get one with the TractionLok limited slip (mine was an open diff, and it SUCKS trying to accelerate quickly on wet pavement.... spent $400 and had the TracLok installed).

As long as you change the oil on schedule, the 4.0 should last 200k miles without major repairs.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

avoid the jeep. Tranny will die.

4. rjh34

rjh34 Guest

where do you base this info - the Jeep he's looking at (if auto0 will have the Aisen Warner (AW-4) a VERY reliable transmission, both onroad and off!

my $.02

XJ owner x2 past 4 years on and off road

5. diranged

diranged New Member

Avoid the "yuppy" Cherokee -- they break down ALL THE time. I have several friends with them and they are all extremely unhappy. The 4.0L I6 has problems with its lifters and they start to make clack-clack noises alot as well. If your going to go with the Jeep, at least get the 360 V8... but I strongly urge you not to go with THAT jeep...

6. Cue-Ball

Yuppie Cherokee? The XJ is supposed to be one of the most trail capable vehicles out there. It's got solid axles and is designed for off-road use. Definitely not what i'd consider a "yuppie" vehicle. Putting a V8 in an XJ is not an option. It won't meet emissions and would increase the cost too much. Besides, why would you bother with a 360 instead of a Ford 302 or a Chevy 350? The latter engines are cheaper and parts are more readily available.

If you think the Cherokee is so bad, what would you recommend with similar capability and similar price? I need to be able to haul 4 people and 2 dogs, plus ski/snowboard gear for all the people. I need part time 4WD or AWD. I need a tow rating of at least 2500lb (the Cherokee's limit is 5,000lb). I need something 5 years old or newer that costs less than $10K.

I'm open to suggestions.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

um, part-time 4wd and awd are *VERY* different... One belongs only in very low-traction off-road situations, and the other belongs only in on-road situations.

BTW, there is no way in hell you'll get 4 people and 2 dogs and gear in the jeep you posted.

why are you posting the 5 year requirement? If you extend out to 6 or 7 years, then get a 98-99 Tahoe. They go for around $7-8k with approximately 70-80k miles on the odo, with 4x4 and a chevy 350... That's a hell of a rig.

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

ive seen good things come from the 350s in offroading scenarios.

9. diranged

diranged New Member

well alot of people refer to the Grand Cherokeee as just a Cherokee, so I wasnt sure what he was talking about. And I only call it a Yuppie Cherokee because 98% of people who drive them will NEVER use them properly...

10. borderx146

borderx146 Guest

i really like jeeps the only thing i would be worried about is gas milage but if you can afford it go for it man jeeps are nice and if you put a system in it they sound great.

11. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Damn dude... You seem to be an ass in more than one fourm...

Please explain why the trannie will die. Have you ever owned a Jeep vehice and have any facts to back that up? Sure a tranny can go bad, but that's more than likely the cause of the driver...

The Cherokees are great and more than a few people in my family have had them and other Jeep vehicles. They are very reliable.

I had a '93 Cherokee with the I-6 that I sold with 255,000 miles all original, no problems. I sold that to buy a '93 YJ that currently has 180,000 miles and runs strong with the same engine. I am going to buy another Cherokee soon that will have the same engine and problably run just as strong as the others with the same engine.

Just regularly change the oil at about 3,000 miles and it will run forever...

12. Zimmy76

Zimmy76 I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic

my current XJ has 243K on the motor/tranny and is running fine. If you take care of it, it will last you for quite a while.

I saw a XJ in an offroad mag years ago that had 435K on the orginal motor/tranny. It was a stock jeep and had the oil changed every 3K miles.

13. Cue-Ball

I know the difference. My point is that I need either 4WD or AWD if I'm going to be using this vehicle to go skiiing. If i get an XJ with part time 4WD, that's fine because I can leave it in 2WD during daily driving.

Why not? The Cherokee can fit 4 adults comfortably. The dogs can fit in the back. The skis/snowboards go on the roof rack. I fail to see a problem.

The 5 year requirement is not a hard limit. I just don't want to buy a vehicle with 90,000 miles on it or that's 15 years old. Most cars seem to average about 13-15K/year, so a 5 year old car would have around 70,000 miles. If I can find a '98 model that meets my needs and is in good shape, then that's fine too. As for the Tahoe - it's just too big for what I need. I'm sure it would be great for hauling stuff, but as a daily driver it wouldn't be my first choice, especially since my wife probably couldn't park one to save her life. Not to mention Auto Trader doesn't have a single 98+ Tahoe under $9K within 40 miles of me. Not one. Even if you up the price to $10K they still all have over 100K miles (okay, ONE has 98,000). I can get a Cherokee with half as many miles for $3K less.

14. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

Buy it. They're all around great vehicles