Thinking about getting a bike in the Spring...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by hurleyint1386, Feb 3, 2009.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

So I've been contemplating this for a while now, and I think I've come to the conclusion that I want to get a bike this spring. I've been looking at the R6 in particular. My friend has an R1 and loves it, but I'm thinking 1000cc is a bit too much for me. I want to get something around 600 because I'm a bigger guy (230lbs) and need something with a little power, but not necessarily too much. Anyone have an R6? Also, are there any other ones I should consider? Maybe a GSX-R? I don't know much about motorcycles, so if you've got suggestions, please let me know what you would suggest and why. Thanks a lot!

2. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Since you confess to not knowing much about motorcycles, I'm going to assume this is your first bike and you have zero riding experience.

If you're buying brand new I would recommend an SV650, FZ6, or a Ninja 650R.

If you're not actually concerned with developing your riding skills and just want something pretty, but whatever you want and make sure there's nothing in front of you when you want to hit the throttle stop.

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

have you sat on these bikes? they are not the comfiest. any 600 sport bike will kill you just as fast as a 1000+ bike. fine something that fits your style/comfort. remember, they can all pull out slowly and put around just fine

4. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

sv650 as bus said is a great starter bike

5. hurleyint1386

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. You are correct. This will be a first bike and I have no riding experience. I will be taking a "Learn 2 Ride" course to get my license, though. I want to make sure that I am doing things as safe as possible. I'll definitely look into the bikes you recommended. I don't think I'll be getting anything new because it can be a bit expensive. Instead, I think I might looks for something I like and have a friend ride it and make sure everything is working out with it. Thanks for the advice.

6. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

Get a 250 then.
    Just because you're big, doesn't mean you need a big bike.

7. hurleyint1386

I haven't sat on them. Although I don't know how (un)comfortable they are. I'll need to check it out. I know a 600 can be dangerous as well. Any bike is dangerous.

8. hurleyint1386

Every person I've ever talked to has told me to get a 600. :dunno: I'll look into them, though

9. mtnbikekid08

That doesn't necessarily make it a good choice.
    If everyone told you jumping off a cliff was a good idea, would you do it?
    Actually I forgot, but the Kawasaki EX500, the Suzuki GS500, or the Suzuki SV650 would both be great beginner bikes, esp. for you.
    The 500's are not too powerful, but powerful enough that you'll enjoy it much longer than the 250.

10. le_rocks

le_rocks New Member

Yea take the MSF class first and ask your instructor for recommendations afterwards since they will know your ability best. Also the class will tell you how much you really are into bikes, there was a guy in my class that realized he didnt like bikes as much as he thought he would after taking the class.

11. mtnbikekid08

The GS500 looks cool too:
    [​IMG]
    This is the Kawasaki ex500:
    [​IMG]
    Or the SV650:
    [​IMG]
    SV650s:
    [​IMG]

12. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

definitely get a used bike that isn't too pretty. you're going to end up dumping it sooner or later. you'll feel better if you destroy a $2k bike over an $8k bike.

13. hurleyint1386

I think the cliff reference is a bit different because I'm asking other people with bike experience what they think. I wouldn't be able to ask a cliff jumper their recommendation because they would be dead. I do understand your point, though. I think I would be more interested in a 500 than a 250 because if I spend money on a bike, after 6 months, I don't want to buy something new because I want some more power. I'd like to start off with something that I will be happy with for a few years before possibly upgrading.

14. hurleyint1386

I don't think I would have a different feeling towards riding bikes, but then again, I don't know. So you're definitely right. I know a friend who's friends with the owner of the class so I could probably talk to him.

15. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

I hate to say it, but a large majority of sport bike owners don't really know how to *ride*. Sure, they can take their machines up and down the street in relative safety, but if you put them on a curvy backroad they don't have a clue.

That said, the question is if you care about this or not. If you live in an area where curves are rare I can see how it wouldn't really be important. I know there are plenty of places in the country where the overwhelming power of a sport bike can be far more entertaining than an easy handling bike that allows you to learn how to corner efficiently.

It really just comes down to what you want. If you just want something that accelerates fast, get anything. If you want to set yourself up to learn the intricacies of motorcycle control, get one of the bikes I recommended.

If you choose to go with the supersport though, never forget your skill limitations when you approach curves. That's how you put yourself through a tree.

16. hurleyint1386

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I do live in the city, so there aren't really many curvy roads. I haven't only asked sportbike riders, though. A couple of my friend ride Honda's, and some ride Harleys. I'll keep all of this in mind when I decide to start looking for a bike :bigthumb:

17. mtnbikekid08

So you're taking sportbike advice from Harley riders..... lol.
    But seriously, I said the cliff reference to refer to the fact that just because someone owns a bike, and can ride it, doesn't necessarily mean they know what they are talking about.
    And IMO, a newbie does not need to start on a 100hp+ 600cc sportbike.

18. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

a 230 pound guy on a 250 will look like a monkey fucking a football.

19. hurleyint1386

I never took sportbike advice from anyone with a Harley. Anyone that owns a Harley wouldn't recommend a sport bike (probably). If it's 600cc, does that necessarily always refer to a sport bike? Maybe it does, I'm not sure. But I thought many different kinds of bikes could be 600cc. I just thought about the R6 because I personally liked how it looked.

20. hurleyint1386

:rofl:

21. mtnbikekid08

R6 is sexy, but will kill you. That bike puts down about 100-120hp stock, and has tons of torque.
    And FYI, I've seen some pretty big guys riding the new 08 250's. It may look a little funny, but they pull it off, and they are fucking fast on them.
    Oh, and a 600 pretty much does refer to a sportbike, as there are almost no other bikes that are 600cc that aren't sport bikes.

22. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

any bike will kill you if you're a dumbass. a hayabusa and zx14 are capable of cruising at sensible speeds.

23. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

It really comes down to what kind of experience you want. Personally, I'm a big fan of the slower bikes, because to me it's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow. That and I live near some decent mountain roads, where the slow bikes are easier to handle and tend to go just as fast (all curves considered).

But if I lived in the midwest where you could ride in a straight line for hours, I'd probably go for the most powerful bike I could get.

It is true that you can kill yourself on anything if you're not careful. But if you choose a supersport for your first bike, be sure to take extra care. Because those bikes are not forgiving at all and will spit you off before you have any idea you did something wrong.

24. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Oh, and set aside money for QUALITY gear. Motorcycles come and go, but good gear lasts a long time. You don't have to spend $600 to get a good helmet, but do consider getting something nicer than a $50 HJC.

Ditto for pretty much all the rest of your gear.

25. mtnbikekid08

Any bike is capable of cruising at a sensible speed, but a Hayabusa is a lot easier to fuck something up on than say a 250.
    Same applies for the R6 vs a ex500 gs500. Release the clutch too fast, or rev it up before releasing it on the R6, and you're going one-wheel-up down the road without even knowing wtf happened.:rofl:
    Actually, like short bus said, crotch rockets are extremely unforgiving in general. They are powerful and fast, and sometimes inspire false confidence until you get a situation where your confidence and luck both run out at the same time, and you're left not knowing what to do.:hsd:
    And please invest in a good set of gear.
    This means Pants, gloves, a jacket, a helmet, and I strongly recommend a back protector(the foam thing in a jacket does not count.)