Thinking about buying this Desktop v. advice please?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by advocatusdiablo, Jan 6, 2008.

1. advocatusdiablo

advocatusdiablo New Member

http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-M820...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199649005&sr=8-1
    Best Buy also has this for about $60.00 more.

I currently have a 1.80GHz Pentium 4 1GB ram with a GeForce FX 5200
    This thing is very slow with webpages and loading anything for that matter. My internet is faster than my friends computer via speedtest and is loads sides and programs very fast (same PC pretty much)

I have run CCleaner, ad-aware, spyware and mcfee from comcast. This PC was a store model only about 6 years ago and it did NOT come with a windows boot disk, so i am assuming i would need to go buy XP at the store.

oh one more thing, im not sure if any of you are familiar with the game viper racing or not, but that game is very jittery when i have damn near everything off :wtc: solitaire works though :hs:

thanks for any input or help! I am not very confident at building my own PC so buying one this way is probably my best option. I want something that will be fast and last me a few years, i like the 6 USB 2.0 slots for my printer and camcorder and external, and the reviews look good except for the video card (i have done that with this so putting a new one in that computer later on down the road "should" be easy) thanks again!

:wavey:

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

The geforce 6150 graphics are really at the bottom of the heap.

3. Doc Brown

Fwiw, you could put together a very decent build for the price range you're talking about.
    Especially if you already had the os.

4. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

Since when is DDR2-667 "top-of-class"?

Just wait for that potroast guy to say don't buy it because it's AMD. :rolleyes:

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Okay dude, you REALLY need to read all that shit you just posted, figure out what isn't marketing BS, and repost just the meaningful stuff. I'm not going to read a whole goddamned sales packet for you. It doesn't matter what they say it can do, it matters what parts it has and what you're going to use it for.

6. Doc Brown

The link he posted has the straight details in it. It's not so hot. Nor horrible, but not great either.
    He can do better on a good deal from just about anywhere.

7. advocatusdiablo

advocatusdiablo New Member

deusexaethera, does that help?

I want to be able to play "some" games, nothing major. I see that a better video card would be a good option

8. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

HP pcs = lose. I would never buy one. I like Dells PCs and the new XPS 420 is nice. You can get a similarly spec'd XPS 420 (it would have the quad-core 2.4ghz intel) right now for $849 with four year warranty.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's about what I'd expect from a midrange computer nowadays. It's pretty clearly geared towards media use instead of gaming, as evidenced by the built-in video card. You noticed that yourself, though.

You could add a better video card to that machine and get pretty good performance (compared to a purpose-built all-out gaming machine), but it will never be stellar. On the other hand, you don't seem to be looking for stellar.

The price is good, though it doesn't come with a screen, so be prepared to spend more money to get that unless you already have a good one on-hand. For the same price you could build a better machine, but you'd have to have connections to get the software without spending hundreds of dollars more on it. So if you don't know people who know people, this looks like a pretty good way to get a pretty good computer with legal software without spending a ton of money to get it.