Thinking about buying another Toyota.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mikel, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Mikel

Mikel .

I'm thinking about buying a 90-94 regular cab toyota 4x4. I had an 85 before, but sold it :(

I want another toyota for a daily driver, but I don't know a lot about the IFS trucks. I do go offroad, but I spend a lot more time on the highway, and I don't do any hardcore rockcrawling or anything, so a IFS will probably suit me better. Will 33's be ok on a IFS truck or will it break axles non stop? Also, 2-3" of body lift will clear 33's fine right? (I know it will on a straight axle, I don't see why it would be any different).

2. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

IFS will be fine for the type of off-roading you will be doing.

As for tires, I used to have a '93 and as I remember you can fit 31's on it without modification so a lift of 2-3" should get you the 33's. I'd check with a tire store to be sure.

3. Mikel

Mikel .

:cool: that's what I thought, I just know if you get too crazy with the axle angles on IFS trucks, they start tearing up axles.

4. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Toyota + Body Lift/Tires = Mikel's Daily Driver.

Should work fine.

5. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Well I've seen guys with newer F150's that have 8"+ lifts, go rock crawling and don't have too much trouble with axles. '97 and newer F150's have IFS.

6. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

The IFS trucks are awesome too. I assume you'll go with the 22RE/manual tranny since it's a bullet-proof set-up.

If I were you I'd go with 31's @ stock height or do a 2" lift + 32" tires. 33's are massive and will kill your power on the hwy. Whatever you go with in a lift, be sure to watch your front CV joint boots. If any of the fins are touching, it will tear a hole and lose all of its grease, causing a joint failure.

I have a Tacoma now and I still really like the older Toys. Watch out for chassis rot when shopping.