GUN thinking about buying an SKS

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ices, Oct 5, 2005.

1. ices

ices New Member

Hello, I recently made a thread about buying the 10/22. http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2025622 . I'm enjoying it very much, but I've always had my eye on the SKS since the beginning. I like the fact that it was designed to be rugged and tough. Ammunition is plentiful, and although the accuracy isn't top-notch,I'm sure that its well beyond the capabilities of me. There are a few things that I want to clarify before spending.

-I plan on buying from AIM surplus or SOG, since they seem to be very reputable. Are there any other sites I should look into? Gun shows in my area are apparently spotty, and I'd hate to be sold a POS by someone trying to make a couple dishonest bucks.
    -I live in Maryland. How exactly does the FFL transfer work? Does a gun dealer in my area purchase the gun from SOG or AIM, and transfer it to me for an additional cost?
    -I noticed that there are many 'grades' of condition. Shooters, good, very good, excellent, etc... do those grades pertain to the quality of the stock, or the gun overall? In other words, are guns bought from the above mentioned sites new, and mechanically identical? I care most about the function of the rifle, and a couple dings here and there would only add character.
    -What kind of ammunition should I get? Milsurp, or a brand name? Where is the best place to buy ammo in bulk?
    -How is the recoil of the 7.62x39? The only real firearm I've shot is the 10/22 (my parents aren't very supportive).
    -Although the primary purpose of this gun isn't for home defense, is the SKS a capable home defense rifle? How are the ballistics of the 7.62? How much should I worry about over-penetration? If possible, could someone give me some examples? (how many phone books, sheets of plywood, etc. it could go through). Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I can't find this cartridge tested on the box-o-truth, and my searches for ballistics on google only return results concerning ballistic gelatin.

Well, I think this is it. Thanks a lot!

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I can help on a couple.

FFL transfer the person you are buying the gun from ships the gun to a FFL you pick, he does the background check etc usually for a small fee.

7.62 I shot (AK47) had a kick to it, it wasnt unmanageable. I wouldnt shoot one in my house, if you consider a AK (same caliber) will go though a car.
    Even a basic 9mm round will go through 9 sheets of drywall with no problem. I would guess a 7.62 round would likely only be stopped by outside brick.

3. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

from what i've read, using milsurp ammo is okay, just as long as you clean it after using corrosive ammo, and the SKS is supposed to be pretty stable as far as recoil goes. There are some boards out there specifically talking about the SKS, you could probably find them on google

4. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

www.thehighroad.org

SKS were built with military ammo in mind. Just clean it after using mil-surp as a lot of it is corrosive. Windex is great for this as the ammonia neutralizes the corrosive salts.

5. chris5vx

chris5vx New Member

Rifles are not for home defense unless you live in the middle of nowhere. Order from aimsurplus, they have a better reputation than sog. They are not new at all, but military surplus. I got the top condition from aim, it was made in 1986 and never issued to a soldier so it was in quite good shape despite being old. They should all shoot great.

If you buy surplus ammo, you need to clean after shooting. The recoil is plenty soft. I would personally order the golden bear ammo from aimsurplus or the barnaul from http://www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp

To order you'll find a local ffl holder to do a transfer. I like pawnshops because they don't get their feelings hurt when you don't buy the gun from them. They'll charge you about $20-25 for their service. They'll fax in a copy of their license to AIM, or if they're behind the times and don't realize its legal they'll mail in a copy. If you mail in a copy you'll put your money order to aim in with it. If they fax it in, you'll call up aim to be sure they got their license, place your order, pay with cc, and by the end of the week it should be waiting for you at your dealer, pick it up and fill out the paperwork.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  6. sextech

sextech New Member

I would not use one for home defense we had a house shooting here 17 rounds in the front 12 went through the first wall of the house behind it and there was one inteiror wall in the first house.

7. ThreeUp3Down

ThreeUp3Down New Member

Buy Russian not Chinese.

8. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

SKS = sexy little brother of the AK

before you order straight from AIM or SOG, see if your dealer can order direct.. might save you some money.