Thinking about buying a Tablet PC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Raimeiken, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Raimeiken

Raimeiken OT Supporter

Im thinking of getting one, but i dont know which one i should get. I thought i could get some help from you guys :hsd:

Im not into the slate model ones. I'd rather get the tablet/notebook kind of models. i found this website that gives comparison on these kind of models but i still dont know which one is the best pick.

http://thetabletpc.net/comparison-convertibles.htm

http://thetabletpc.net/acer.htm
    http://thetabletpc.net/fujitsu.htm
    http://thetabletpc.net/toshiba.htm
    http://thetabletpc.net/thinkpad.htm
    http://thetabletpc.net/gateway.htm
    http://thetabletpc.net/hpconvertible.htm

2. Raimeiken

Raimeiken OT Supporter

anyone own a tablet pc here to give me any suggestions? :hsd:

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'm not a fan of the tablet pc. the handwriting recognition just isn't up to par.

Use one extensively before you buy -- I can't stand em. But if you do buy one, get the IBM (Lenovo) Thinkpad X41.

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I almost bought a Tecra M4, but after doing research, everyone is saying they are loud, and run pretty hot. Also, I am going to wait until they have something similar with a Core Duo chip.

5. Raimeiken

Raimeiken OT Supporter

so should i just go with a notebook? :dunno:

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

When was the last time you used a Tablet with digital ink? I used one last week and it kicked ass.

Then again, I write everything in all-caps block print like a 2nd grader, so maybe that's why it worked well for me. Anyway, if you stay away from cursive script, the digital ink should work fine.

- - -

The Lenovo X41T lacks one big feature; a built-in DVD drive. What's the point of having a laptop if you have to carry accessories, I ask?

- - -

I dunno why people bitch about laptop fans. Not a one of them is as loud as your average desktop computer. And Toshiba offers a Core Duo in their Portege M400. I'm planning to get one as soon as I'm done buying new parts for my mountain bike.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If you buy a toshiba (core duo or not) you are a fucking moron.

And I used a tablet pc a few weeks ago... not even a month. I hate it. I can type faster than I can write.

8. deusexaethera

Who am I to argue? You clearly present superior logic.

9. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Yeah... gee... isn't Toshiba #1 laptop manufacturer in the US? And please don't tell me that Dell is a manufacturer...

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Toshiba is not the #1. If you know anything about notebooks, then you would know that toshiba fucking sucks. And dell fucking sucks, too.

There are three and ONLY three manufacturers worth buying:

Asus
    Apple
    Lenovo (IBM)

11. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Ok, you are wrong for so many reasons. I've been in the industry for a long time. First off, ASUS is not #1 in the US. I know one person with an ASUS laptop, and he got it from a conference that we went to where ASUS was a sponsor. Apple is not a manufacturer... their laptops are made by EliteGroup and Compal, both out of China. Apple is far from #1 in anything. Lenovo is also far from #1 in sales in the US. IBM may have been at one point, but sure as heck not anymore. Where the fuck do you get your information?

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I base my information off of RELIABILITY and QUALITY...

you obviously base your information off of "sales" which makes you absolutely worthless.... Sales doesn't mean shit. Just means a lot of people are stupid, and businesses like Best Buy and Circuit City will shove anything down the consumer's throat.

If you trust sales over reliability/quality then you are a douchebag and have no business telling anyone what to purchase.

13. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Wow, and where do you get the idea that Toshiba is unreliable? I've owned 4 of them, and didn't have any issues with them. In fact, I've had more trouble with my PowerBook G4 then all of my Toshibas combined. Secondly, I'm not talking on a consumer level, I'm also talking a corporate level. I don't give a fuck about what general retail consumers think. The fact is, my corporate and educational customers buy Toshiba and will continue to do so. There must be a damn good reason for it (let's see... reliability and service??).

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wow, I think you're an idiot. I can't count how many toshibas I've had to service. Besides the shitty shitty deault OS install that comes bundled with spyware (but lets assume, for sake of argument, that you reformat) you have that fan that's basically guaranteed to fail just outside of warranty and cause the system to overheat. Add crappy screens, and lackluster performance with oversized packaging and you have Toshiba!

Does your school lease them? And Lenovo is point for point better than Toshiba in every category.

15. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I've never seen a laptop that had a default OS install that I liked. My customers have images that we load onto the laptops that get rid of the crap that is preinstalled. This even goes for Lenovo, Sony whatever brand laptops. I've never had to replace a fan in a Toshiba or a Lenovo laptop. I've had more fans go bad in Dell, HP and Compaq laptops. Crappy screens? I'm not sure where you get that. I've had my PowerBook's screen replaced twice under warranty. Along with that, my ThinkPad had 2 dead pixels, where I've never had any on any Toshiba I've owned. Lackluster performance? Where do you get that? Most of the performance issues are caused by a crappy default load. Wipe them, reload with a clean OS installation, and you are good to go.

Also, how many Toshiba laptops have you dealt with in the last month? I've had about 150 Tecras go through my company to a local university in the last month. I am pretty sure I know what I am talking about.

No, the schools and school districts that I sell to buy them, not lease them. So far you have not given one single reason why Lenovo is better...

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I refuse to sell Toshiba. I saw close to a dozen last month. I had to replace several fans in them, btw.

I think you need to go do some research... check out hard forums, for example. Thus far you have said nothing other than "I am a douchebag that sells what I'm told" you are a salesman.

17. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

A dozen??? Oh shit...

I sell what my customers want, and they want what they want for a reason. If they were as bad as you claim, they wouldn't be buying them. I'm leaving it at that. Are you like 12 or something? The douchebag comments are great... keep 'em coming.

18. deusexaethera

Frankly neither one of you are acting very mature at this point. This thread has dissolved into a shitfest.

:lockd:

19. Raimeiken

Raimeiken OT Supporter

so a tablet pc is out of the question now? :hsugh:

20. deusexaethera

No, it's not. But computer guys are not the most socially-adept bunch, and it's hard to get them to play nice. There are plenty of people who love their tablet PCs. Check out www.tabletpcbuzz.com for reviews by people who actually use the damn things.

21. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Yeah, definitely went further than I should have... my apologies. :hs:
    Good luck in finding a tablet PC! :bigthumb: