Thinking about buying a Jeep

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by FlyNReeLow, May 10, 2007.

1. FlyNReeLow

FlyNReeLow Elite Member #200

Hey Guys,

I have recently been looking into getting a 2002-2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I have been looking at the V8 with HO. My buddy up in the bay area has bought one recently, and it seems to be a pretty damn nice ride. He also got a really good deal on it. Im looking for the 4wd with leather, navi, etc.

What do you think of this? How many miles is to many. How reliable are these engines. What other problems should i be looking for? Pros/Cons?

He got a deal of about 13k for a 2002 with 65k miles. Seemed way to good to be true. I would like to spend about the same

What do you think. I have searched ebay, craigslist, autotrader, etc, where else do you reccoemend.

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

I prefer the 4.0 for dependability, they go over 250k easily.

3. FlyNReeLow

FlyNReeLow Elite Member #200

What about the power difference for both? Im looking to pull a boat.. can the 4.0 do it as well as the v8 4.7?

4. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

You definitely want a v8 for pulling a boat. My friend pulls a boat with his V8 dakota, and i cant immagine him pulling a boat if that truck had a 6 cylinder. Another thing about the grand cherokee is the climate control system they have. Apparently the blend doors in the system fail all the time either leaving the AC on all the time or the heat on all the time, so you'd be driving in the winter with the ac going full blast and no way to control it.

When i was interested in grand cherokees, i learned that some "special edition" grand cherokees came with all the stuff the limiteds came with, but they had a traditional climate control system. Only thing is, its really hard to find a V8 special edition.

They also made V8 laredos, but those have the unpainted body cladding, where the limited's have body color.

5. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

We used to tow our bass boat with a 91 Cherokee with the 4.0, this was before I was old enough to drive but my dad was very satisfied with the towing power of the Jeep.