GUN Thinking about building an AK...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Keesh, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Keesh

Keesh New Member

So, I know nothing about building rifles and I need some help deciding if it is worth it to build or or just to buy one. It seems like a pretty fun project but I don't know if I'm going to need special tools or not. I also don't know what I really need.

Can I just get a kit off of here and then get is a receiver and assemble it all or is there more to it?
    http://64.226.66.194/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CSI&Category_Code=AKK

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Although simple design AK is a bit complicated to assemble, first if you do build one, best bet atleast for your first one is to buy a complete reciever from a place like Ohio Rapid Fire, you can buy a reciever flat for like $10 but thats alot more complicated you have to fold it and mount the rails and what not ORF reciever already comes folded rails mounted and heat treated, barrel has to be pressed but people have successfully done it with bolt cutters instead of the press. I have a few kits in my closet eventually I'll try building one but ATM im waiting till I leave NY so I can build it how i want legally.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Hmm, I'm pretty mechanicly inclined but I think if I were to build one I think I would want to use the right tools to make sure it got done right. Sounds like right now I'll be better off just picking up a finished one out of a local shop or somthing. I guess that way I would be able to have somthing to go off of too if I ever wanted to build one. I think I may end up picking up a cheap WASR and then eventually getting a Yugo kit.

4. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

just buy a complete one.

5. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I was going to get a kit and give building one a shot but it's a pricy mistake to make if you have no idea what you're doing. I'm going to look for a cheap assembled one at this next gun show, too.

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking. I don't really want to blow a couple hundred bucks from one mistake. Looks like I'm gunna start looking around town for any good deals. Thanks guys for the help :bigthumb:

7. striker754

striker754 Chillin

notrly. Building one is tons better than buying one. You learn exactly how the gun works and you know you built that gun.

Building an AK is not hard.

8. black96gtvert

black96gtvert "Is that goal regulation size or what!" -Happy Gil

i can never get the top part back on, after i take it off its like its too big ro something

9. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

different folks, different :jerkit:

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well if you cant get your reciever cover on then you probably shouldn't build a kit :mamoru:

11. black96gtvert

black96gtvert "Is that goal regulation size or what!" -Happy Gil

i dont want to build a POS AK id rather buy one for 289