Thinking about building a rig..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RenesisRotary, Apr 7, 2007.

1. RenesisRotary

RenesisRotary New Member

So here it goes...

Im thinking of building a computer, It would be my first.

I am looking to spend around $1000, preferabbly less.

I need the computer mainly for gaming/music (downloading and such) and regular college level papers..

I would like to be able to run BF2, WoW, all the current gen titles.. I do not need a monitor included, nor speakers.

Is this a good idea? Can anyone point me to directions for assembling a PC? Can anyone reccomend me a list of parts or perhaps throw together a list that would make a full computer in the range of what I want?

Thanks for the help

2. Create

Create :free at last:

Motherboard (MB) + Processor + RAM + Video must be compatible and run at full speed. MB and Processor match 'socket type'. MB and RAM match (on newegg's site) 'memory standard'. MB and Video match socket type 'AGP 8X' or 'PCI-e x16'.

Most of the guru's in here prefer Asus or Intel motherboards. You want the 'form factor' to be 'ATX'. An Intel brand 'south bridge' is preferred over an nVidia brand. Intel's Core 2 Duo E6400 or E6600 are the best 'bang for your buck' processors.

The old video interface is AGP 8X. The new interface is PCI-e x16. You can even run two PCI-e cards at once in what's called SLI. It's not worth it to run two as there are no games that really push a single top-end card. A nVidia 7600 series video card would suit you nicely.

Hard Disk Drives (HDD) come in two interface types, IDE and SATA. SATA is a bigger pipeline and smaller cable, thus preferred almost always. CD-ROM drives typically still use the IDE interface. SATA 400-500GB are the best value.

You can salvage HDD's, CD-ROM drives, any PCI cards (such as sound, network, phone line modem) from your old computer, and the case. Alternatively, keep the old box fairly intact and sell it.

You *will* also need a Power Supply Unit (PSU) @ ~$110. If you need a case expect to pay at least $50, no more than $150. If you salvage from the old box you can use your old HDD in the new build to save a few bucks.

If the budget allows, I'd recommend a DVD burner as well. They are fairly cheap and provide a very convenient >4GB data backup on a single disk.

So, that *should* be enough info for you to go to newegg.com and pick out some parts. Post links of what you've picked and we'll make sure you've got a solid build.

Start with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131070

Note that it only has one 'PATA' controller (this is another name for IDE). One controller means you can use a maximum of two IDE devices. You're likely going to want those devices to be your two CD-ROM's since CD-ROM's usually only come with an IDE interface. This means that your HDD will have to be SATA. No worries, the MB will take up to 8 SATA devices.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  3. RenesisRotary

RenesisRotary New Member

Wow, Thanks Create...Thats defintely a helping hand to start me off.
    I'll look through the site, and in a couple of days I will throw together a list and see what you guys think.

4. Create

Create :free at last:

NP at all.

Listen to Doc Brown and jollyogre if they post.