A&P Thinking about a new camera for B&W

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by LKJR, Oct 10, 2006.

1. LKJR

LKJR Member

well my new fuji v10 broke on my trip home from europe this summer. So i'm back to shopping for cameras. I'd like something that has a lot of options. I saw the canon s80? I think it was mentioned in another post. I'd like to take a class on B&W shooting so I"d need something that has all the options I'd need to shoot good variables.

SLR? or something smaller?

2. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Are you talking digital or film? And what's your budget?

www.dpreview.com -> Buying Guide FTW if you want digital

3. If I was you

35mm slr - Canon Elan 7
    digital slr - Canon 30D

4. LKJR

LKJR Member

a digital is easier for me I think, less to mess with and more universal for shooting a lot of pictures. Correct me if I"m wrong but the slr digitals do everything a film version does correct? other than use film.

5. LKJR

LKJR Member

just looked at the canon 30d on ebay. is there an older model that isn't 8mp? maybe one that does 6. few less bones,

6. Blair

Blair New Member

hmmm, well if you are looking to stay on the budget side of things you are probably looking at digital rebel or a used 20D if you want to go with canon. D50 or D70 if nikon is your flavor. personally i would stay away from ebay no matter what, i love ebay for a lot of things but cameras is not one of them.

7. cvgwpg

cvgwpg Guest

Well depending what your budget is... if you are looking for a high end point-and-shoot that has the manual option and additional features, then I recommend the Canon S80.

I have it myself and LOVE the two main features... the 28mm wide angle lens (most dig P&S start at about 36 or 38mm) and the manual controls!
    In my experience, I have caught my self in more situations wanting to capture more in my frame than using tele-photo zoom. It's great, at a family gathering where you can capture everybody in a portrait without cutting people off at the edge if you can't back up further!

With the S80 being out a while, you can get a deal on it somewhere. There's also the S70 and S60, which are older models but highend with the features you'd need.

If you want DSLR, almost any Canon would be suitable, depending what your spending and what you expect.

8. cvgwpg

cvgwpg Guest

Also, on another note...

if you shooting digital anyway, you don't necesarily need to shoot in B&W. If you are doing any extra work to a photo in Photoshop or a digital paint/photo program, you always have the option of stripping out the color in any photo and create the B&W look.

9. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Used 10D or Rebel 300 / 350. :dunno:

10. LKJR

LKJR Member

I use photoshop on a intermediate level now. well, lower end of intermediate I guess, depending on how much of photoshop someone understands. But shooting in B&W and stripping the color out of a photo aren't quite the same. Difference? I don't know, but I'd experimented with it and shooting it that way is usually a better quality image. at least from my experience

11. slugsgomoo

slugsgomoo New Member

it is the same, if not worse as doing a greyscale in photoshop. Due to the nature of a digital, if you want b&w results that rival film, you need to learn how to do some half-decent post processing. Tweaking b&w is probably the easiest PP you can do as well.

If i'm shooting film, I filter the lens (usually with a green) and go from there. With digital I shoot color, because then I can experiment with the shot, and if it turns out that color would have worked really well, I can go with that. It simply gives you a lot more flexibility.

12. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut Elitist Member OT Supporter

i shoot an eos 650/nikon fe/pentax somthingorother for film :)

13. Blair

Blair New Member