Thinking about a Macbook Pro.. talk me into it

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, May 20, 2008.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

My wife and I are looking into a laptop. Primarily it will be used for her school (but she only has 1 year left), but i'm sure i'll have my share of time with it when she's not using it.

I've traditionally been a PC owner, but i'm really curious about Macs, and OSX in general. I've never really used them for any more than 5 minutes. Leopard having Boot Camp pretty much sold me on it, since i can have my OSX funness, and still resort back to XP if i have to (which i'm familiar with if i suck at the Mac).

Basically, what are the pluses and minues of the MBP? Anything specific i should need to know before embarking on this? Anything a must-have accessory or option for a MBP?

2. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Oh, another question.... do i really need the AppleCare warranty? What is the normal warranty (and is it any good)?

Also, are there any expected updates/redesigns to the MPB that i should really wait for?

3. FINALBOSS

FINALBOSS

I was in the same boat as you, sort of.

I was a pretty big PC gamer, wanted nothing to do with Macs. I finally used OSX one day and I was completely shocked at how amazing it ran. The thing about OSX is, it works the way you think a computer should--i.e. the logical way to delete programs is to just put them in the trash, or installing programs by dragging them to your applications folder; this is how OSX operates. Windows is interested in making you jump through hoops to get these common tasks done.

I have a 2.33GHZ 17" C2D MBP, and I'm not lying when I say it's the best computer I've ever owned.

4. FINALBOSS

FINALBOSS

Depends on how careful you are. You get 1 year free of AppleCare when you purchase your MBP, so you have that time to decide. I bought mine in Dec 06' without AppleCare and I haven't had a single problem. She's still running almost like the day I bought it--and one quick reformat and it will.

As for updates, I'd absolutely wait until June 9th to see what is announced at Macworld. MBPs, if I'm not mistaken, were quietly upgraded a while back anyways, so don't expect anything fancy on the 9th.

5. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Ok, yea i did some other reading in this subforum and heard there might be some revisions around june 9... i'm just not sure if i'm that patient or not.

Thanks for the tips on AppleCare. I beleive i had it on my ipod, but never needed it. In general, i'm very careful with my tech toys, but my wife (nothing against her) i don't think is quite the same.

6. xuntilthexendx

xuntilthexendx New Member

I just bought a my first MB and I love it. I go to school with mostly macs so I had a chance to get comfortable. The AppleCare warranty is excellent and I would highly recommend it. Do your homework, read reviews other forums stuff like that. You need a genuine windows disk to run boot camp but other than that most of the excellent programs are either free or you can get them installed when you buy it depending on what you want and where you get it. The only cons I can think of is, for new parts and service without the appleCare is pretty expensive. Thats pretty much it. I have had mine for about 4 months or so and wouldn't live without it. It just works, no errors, no random restarting, no freezing, everything just works and I couldn't be happier. Good Luck!

7. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Thanks. And yea, i have a real XP disk from back when i was in school, so i'm good on that front. I assume that once the XP partition is made in bootcamp it acts just like normal XP? It is just Apple's way of dual-booting, correct? Not virtualization?

8. Correct. Boot Camp does not virtualize.

9. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

K, thanks, just makin sure i understand all this stuff, lol.

10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

AppleCare is worth it on a laptop. On the other machines I'd say skip it.

11. Budha

Budha Guest

you need an xp disc that has service pack 2 already installed FYI.

12. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

apple macbook pro

/thread

go buy it

13. TheGetUpkid

TheGetUpkid New Member

Just bought one on Saturday. I didn't think I was going to be this impressed but I'm completely blown away. I bought the extended warranty since I already got a corporate discount. Just FYI, you do have a 14 day grace period where you can return a product if you are worried about the June 9th.

My only complaint is the slight bend that most MBP's have.

Quick question for you guys, should I have upgraded the ram the 4 gigs if I'm not doing anything memory intensive like photo/video editing.

Also does anyone have experience with this hard drive and would this void my warranty?
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA988G/A

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  14. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i would say to hold off till summer is near over, only because you can usually get a free ipod nano with your macbook

15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Yeah, you need XP with SP2. However, it does not have to be a Genuine copy. ;) I know, I've installed copies of XP and Vista, no problem.

16. FINALBOSS

FINALBOSS

The ram through Apple is crazy expensive

17. scotty

scotty why don't you take a seat right over there? OT Supporter

I would suggest getting Apple Care. I skipped it on my MBP and I had a faulty keyboard and trackpad about a year and half later. I ended up paying ~$300 to get it replaced. Apple Care is $350 but now that I think about it I really should have gotten it since laptops are so prone to damage if you haul it around all the time.

18. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Wait... what? I have XP Pro, but its pre-SP2. Does that mean i'm fucked or what? I thought i'd just be able to install whatever XP version i have, and then upgrade it (like i always do with PCs).

I also have a personally made XP Pro SP2 disc that i made using nLite, but i'm not sure if that counts as 'genuine' in Apple-land.

I also have another XP Pro disc that i think has SP2 on it, but its a manufacturer cd.. i'm guessing that won't count either.

19. As long as your "made" XP SP2 disk is bootable it should work.

20. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

:bowdown: As far as i know, nLite makes an exact copy of the source disk, but you can manually add in hotfixes, service packs, and automate the entire installation past where you select the drive/partition.

I guess i'll deal with it once i actualy get the Macbook.

From the looks of it, we'll be getting just a basic Macbook, not the Pro.. :wtc: for me, but we don't need anything crazy, and can save some money.

21. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

i have a MBP and my girlfriend has a macbook.

the MBP is a monster, it's fast, big screen, awesome computer.
    only disadvantage is size and heat (though this core 2 duo doesn't get anywhere near as hot as my old MBP)

100% recommend.

as far as applecare - i'd say yes, but see if you can get it for less on ebay or something. they generally are good about replacing stuff no-questions-asked and i ended up with a brand new MBP without too much hassle. paid for itself many times over, enabled me to be super-nitpicky about my computer working 100% all the time.

22. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

If you know someone in the military or civilian that works for DoD, ask them to buy for you at a military exchange. If you don't have an exchange near you, order it online from the exchange website at www.AAFES.com . Usually you can get a better price at the store. $900 out the door, no taxes FTMFW. :bowdown:

23. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

get applecare on a laptop

24. Memphis

Memphis Active Member

love mine, have applecare because it was cheaper with it than without it (long story) you wouldnt regret the purchase

25. B7R

B7R New NASCAR Fan

I love my MBP, but you might have a hard time sharing it cause you'll want to use it all the time.