thinkin of upgrading, AMD 64bit ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, May 12, 2005.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

so thinkin of upgrading mobo/cpu. should i get an AMD 64bit? i was browsing around Monarch computers, and there is no selection of mobos with DDR2 for 64 bit mobo/cpu combos. for example, this asus one. what's the difference between dual channel and DDR2? and wats the diff between AMD64bit and AMD64bit (939 pin)?

so i was thinkin of AMD64 or regular Pentium 4. comments? deals?
    thanks!!

2. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

nothin much. school work, webdev (php, java, etc). i use photoshop often, and some games but not too hardcore. in other words i dont intend this to be a gaming rig.

3. Ridley

Ridley Guest

It would be worthwhile if you plan on heavy multi-tasking, or rendering. But it doesn't sound like you need that big of an upgrade.

What kind of rig are you running now?

4. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

some shitty mobo/cpu i got last year for way cheap from fry's. one of em shitty ECS boards with AthlonXP 2600+. got decent vid and sound card tho :p
    its been feelin rather slow tho, and i think i may have shorted something on my mobo a couple months ago. dont ask.

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  5. Ridley

Ridley Guest

I'd stick with your processor, maybe do a MB upgrade and get more RAM. You don't need to go all out.

A good MB will improve a lot of things, especially if the one you have now has crap bus speeds. I don't know if I can make good suggestions, but I've been using my DFI board for about 2 years now and it's gotten some good reviews at NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Brand.asp?Brand=1307

6. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i got 1GB of ram, i think thats good.

yea the bus speed on my board is shit. its supposed to be able to go up to 400 but for some setting reason i can only set it to 333, cept i have a PC3200 which means i am not using the full capabilities of my RAM :(

DFI is it? wat of ASUS? i luv their stuff. o yea what is dual channel vs. DDR2? i dont think my board has DDR2 either, just dual channel, unless those are 2 of the same things...

the listings for AMD64 says like this:

AMD Athlon 64 3000 + 512K

is that 512K the L2 cache or something?

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  7. Ridley

Ridley Guest

Go to Tomshardware.com for a comparison of the two.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do not do this. Tomshardware is a biased piece of shit with unreliable reviews, and horribly inaccurate conclusions.

9. Ridley

Ridley Guest

So instead of giving a good reputable "un-biased" source, you just spew a bunch of garbage...

Real helpful </sarcasm>

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

take ALL review sites with a grain of salt... But for the more-reliable sort of reviews, hardocp is good.

11. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

True. Man, I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone or something agreeing with you twice in 2 minutes.

Edit: As far as HardOCP, they used to be my preferred source but I haven't seen them doing much reviewing as of late. Sure they're doing some, but they seem to be more a link site/"here's our opinion about what the industry is doing" site. I'd stick with Anandtech or just recommendations from forums like this one.

12. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Eh, I don't think it's really worthwhile upgrading to a new mobo for an old processor with very little upgrade capacity at this point. I'm in pretty much the same situation (2500+ with an A7N8X-X that has issues), and if I upgrade I'll probably go with a low-end socket 939 proc and a decent mobo, so I can upgrade the proc later if I want to.

13. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

I'm a little biased seeing as how this got delivered to me today:

[​IMG]

I originally bought a 3000+ winchester and a cheap motherboard, wasn't happy with it so I ebay'ed the chip and just came out of pocket for the asus nforce4 sli delux. I am 100% happy with the set up now.

You would probably be happy with a 3000+ rev.E chip ($150) and go with a non sli nforce4 board since you aren't concerned with gaming too much ($80-$120) then for a video card you could pick up an nVidia GeForce 6600GT for like $150 and it will handle most anything. Anyway, that is what I would do if I were looking to build a amd64 system right now with your goals in mind.

On the other hand the Athlon 64x2 dual core will be out in July if you want to go all out.:naughty:

14. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

oooooooohhhh dual core...