GUN Thinkin' of purchasin' a pistol.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bloodred83, Nov 25, 2005.

1. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

Some info. about my usage:

Ok, so I've been exposed to pistols and rifles all through out my youth. I grew up in Monterey county, CA so there was plenty of open country side to shoot guns and what not (family and friends owned ranches and country property). Durin' my early to late teen years I shot the following rounds from pistols; 9mm, .45, .22, .44 mag, .357 mag and .38 special. Along with several rifles but, I'm not tryin' to buy a rifle ATM.

I've had training with the use of the 9mm Beretta in my Coast Guard basic pistol training course and the practical pistol course. Which I scored as a "marksman," which I later improved to "sharpshooter." But that doesn't matter much since the CG is gettin' rid of the 9mm for the .45 (edit: .40 hollow pt instead).

Now that all that stuff is out of the way, I'm lookin' for a bit more guidance on my purchase of a pistol. I've read over the stickies, and some more threads here, but additional info. would be much appreciated.

As of right now I'm interested in the Glock 19 or the 21. Though I'm kinda tired of the 9mm so maybe the 21 would be better for my taste. The gun wouldn't be used for anything other than range firing (since I live on Long Island now) and on standby for home protection.

Thanks in advance you crazy gun freaks.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

well if you're tired of the 9mm, the G23 is the same size as the G19, but shoots the .40 S&W round. The G21 is a fullsize .45 ACP.

So you got the G19, which is a compact 9mm.. and the 21 which is a full size gun..

but if its just going to be for range use or home defense, then you might as well get a full size.. which gives you the G17, the full size 9mm.. the G22, full size 40.. and the G21, the full size 45.

Then of course you got the longslide models, the 34 and 35, 9mm and .40, respectively.

I myself have the 34, and couldnt be happier.. its my range gun, and I'll hopefully be using it for competition some day soon.

So my advice, no matter what caliber, is go for a full size, or a long slide.. less recoil, less muzzle flip, and better accuracy due to a longer sight radius.

then of course there are some 10mm's and some 357's available as well..

heres a nice breakdown of their lineup:

http://www.teamglock.com/PistolInfo/pistolpage.htm

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As Krott said no reason not to go with full size, I have the G17 I have no complaints about it, I've never shot any of the .40 glocks, but I do have a Walther P99 in .40 and I like my Walther a bit more then the glock. Try to shoot as many of the ones your interested in, or at the very least goto a shop and fondle them see which fits most comfortably in your hands. I'm on long island too :wavey:

4. chawk57

chawk57 We want the ball and we're gonna win!!!

I have the full-sized .40 (22), it's a good and very accurate handgun. Felt recoil is managable and not as "snappy" as the 9mm. For home defense my personal preference is the 40, since Hawaii state law limits us to 10 round mags, but ammo is a bit more expensive for just casual range use.

Have you narrowed your choices down to various glock models or are you still considering other types of handguns (especially if you may be considering the 45)?

5. tragicher0

tragicher0 Before I couldn't even spell DBA, now I are one OT Supporter

Ive got a compact (23) comp'ed .40 which I prefer to the larger brother (the 22). Its more concealable, and you only lose 2 shots in the mag (13 vs 15 respectivly)

Mixed feeling on having the comp'ed glock for defense though, its great for second shot quickness, as muzzle flip is not that bad, yet in low\no light conditions, muzzle flash can be blinding and it is quite louder then a non-comp'ed model

I also have a 19, which I cant reccomend at this time due to some problems that its been having that I have yet to work out.

6. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

sig 220 would be a good choice

7. bloodred83

:wavey: @ TL1000RSquid

Hey thanks for the replies y'all. I'm mostly lookin' into the Glocks. From what I read they seem to be a pretty good gun for ppl with experience but also doesn't have all the time in the world to keep them in tip top shape, yet they will still perform. I've got a buddy that I work with who had a Glock 19 and said he absolutely loved it. Though he got rid of it after he moved from North Carolina to Long Island, and had a baby. Though I said he should of just got a nice metal safe to still keep it at his house.

I'd really like to get the G21, if not for the newness factor than just for the power. Though it looks like I'm gonna have to research the 9mm, .40 and .45 a lil' more before I make my choice.

Also, I'm leavin' Long Island for a new station some time before summer '06, but I don't know where I'm goin' yet, so maybe I shouldn't bother tryin' to get all the legal work done in NY when I'll just be movin' in less than half a year. =/ I WANT A PISTOL NOW THOUGH! lol

I'm gonna try and hit up some ranges in the next couple of weeks so that I can hopefully get a better feel for some of the pistols I'm interested in. There is a range just a couple miles away from me that I'll check out first, but does anyone else know of a decent range in Suffolk/Nassau county Long Island?

Oh and I typo'd, the Coast Guard is switchin' from the NATO standard 9mm ball round to a .40 Smith & Wesson 155 GR jacketed hollow point round, instead of the .45 as I posted earlier.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

if your leaving this summer dont bother then it takes 6 months for them to do the paper work when you apply for a permit, hopfully you'll land in a friendlier state, im hoping to be out of NY by summer too

9. bloodred83

Damn, that's a long time. I heard something about how I can get around some of the paper work & time by having my commanding officer write a letter of recommendation to the county chief of police for part of the permit requirements (home ownership or something). I'll have to look into that for more info. Hopefully it's true, I mean I'm a military member with formal training with pistols and have a federal gov't secret security clearance, so my background check shouldn't me anything.

Not to mention one of the reserves master chiefs that I work with is a Suffolk county marine police member, so I'm sure he can hook me up with some good info.

10. bloodred83

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Its a bitch not sure what total fees in suffolk are but i imagine it aint much cheaper then nassua about $300, if you moving soon ide just wait and get a nice shotgun for now

12. Ryno

Ryno Gun in hand

Shoot the Springfield XD before you make your decision. I was once in search of a glock... and ended up with an XD because it felt so much better in my hand. They're very nice guns. I prefer the service... but you can get the subcompact or the Tactical too. You can get them in .40 or .357 if you're sick of 9mm.

IBglocksackriderssayrust

13. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Perks of being under the DHS :cool: