GUN thinkin about gettin into IDPA or IPSC

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BROKE, Feb 24, 2008.

1. BROKE

BROKE Mr. Selfdestruct

ive been thinking about getting into some competitive pistol shooting but cant decide which to go with, the ones closest to me are about an hour and a half drive one way so it would be a lot of driving but i think lots of fun. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. BROKE

BROKE Mr. Selfdestruct

no one?

3. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Paging AB13...

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

go watch both matches and see what interests you more, or both. :)
    get the rulebooks online and browse over them to get an idea and away ou go.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  5. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

i luds me some IDPA.

6. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

7. sprite

sprite Active Member

Long story short: both can be fun, and both will give you an opportunity to drastically improve your shooting beyond regular "stand and deliver" from a firing line at a 7 yard target. Definitely pick one and start going to matches.

I've shot both, and definitely prefer IPSC/USPSA over IDPA. I'm in a bit of the same situation too... I have an hour drive to shoot either, so between the gas cost & time commitment I pretty much have to choose one over the other.

IPSC/USPSA is much more freestyle and fast paced. You are allowed to be a lot more creative in your shooting and how you breakdown a stage. IDPA is generally more restrictive on equipment, and their courses of fire and stage procedures tend to be designed to reinforce defensive tactics.

I generall get along better with the "crowd" that shoots IPSC/USPSA than the "crowd" that shoots IDPA (although there are lots of people who shoot both). At the few IDPA matches I've attended, I couldn't count the number of times I heard "now if this were a real life situation...".

AB13 shoots both and I've really have never really seen him express an opinion as to which he like better... but I think he lives in an area where he can shoot both reasonably nearby.

8. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

It is a great way to learn to shoot under stress. I haven't decided which group I prefer.

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

Sprite also is a SO and knows what he's talking about, so take what he says under consideration.

If you're totally new, I would recommend you join IDPA first and shoot it for a couple of months before making your way to USPSA aka IPSC. It is a little slower paced and will help you get some good fundamentals. Even more importantly, it'll teach you to go slow and be safe and learn the range commands that will be given to you by your SO (safety officer). And it's not so fast paced and your learning curve will be alot easier. And you also won't have to worry about being "DQ" because most IDPA cof's (course of fire) are designed to prevent that.

Besides all that, the initial "set up" in terms of equipment needed is also cheaper to get into than USPSA.

Once you get familiar with competitive shooting, learning the range commands and going under the timer, get into USPSA. What you'll notice is that it's really night and day. USPSA is really run and gun and more of a hose fest. I love it because it does allow you to be "creative". It's like giving you a "problem" and you have to come up with the quickest solution. So you have to been good with problem solving on the fly. But in order to go fast, you MUST have sound fundamentals or you will get "DQ" (disqualified) if you violate any rules, they are very strict on the rules here because it's a little more dangerous. But most that eventually get to USPSA, end up loving it.

As for what I prefer, I love them all. I compete in GSSF, IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge and a little bit of multi gun. I drive everywhere from 2 hours away, to 15 min away with 8 different clubs all up and down Washington state, and in OR, CA and Idaho for major matches. If you compete in WA, you'll know me, or vice versa as I'm fairly active. I shoot every weekend, and through out the week, so sometimes 4-5 times a week. My friend is trying to drag me into "Cowboy action", but I don't know about having to dress like a cowboy part. But if I HAD to keep one, I'd have to go with USPSA, because of the competitive spirit of the game, and me and my friends are very competitive, and like Sprite mentioned, they're a cool crowd.

If you have ANY more questions, like rules, equipment or how to get involved, let me know and I'd be more than happy to help, I love talking about this stuff so don't consider it a burden on my part.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  10. AB13

AB13 New Member

Here's the website to USPSA that has a very cool video on the front page that explains USPSA shooting quite well. Check it out!

http://uspsa.org/