Thinkin about changing up my system a bit for the next car

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FyreDaug, Aug 26, 2006.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

ive got a dvc 12" type R at 2ohms right now. Its in a larger-than-normal box but it sounds pretty damn good. Its been powered by the silver RF amp at [email protected] Im considering getting rid of the type R for 2 10's. Id like to run them in a sealed box because they always seem to sound better, but really it doesnt matter. I like the 10" kick a little more than the 12" pound but I dont want to lose loudness/clarity because this type R sounds pretty damn good, and got a higher-than-normal rating on the db-ometer :p

Anyways, need recomendations for 10" subs, pref 250rms range, so I dont overpower them. And need to be able to wire for 2ohm one way or another. I will have a budget of about 300 bucks for the subs, so its not gonna be really high end stuff, but it still needs to be better than this type R... preferrably all around.

WHAT I DONT LIKE ABOUT MY TYPE R: Is partially the tuning of the box, I cut off the sub at 50hz with the subsonic on, so really its only getting "30 frequencies" but alot of times the bass takes over. Silverchair - Anthem for the year 2000 sounds amazing with the MBQ's up front with this type R, good clean crisp responsive bass, but I dont like how it "amplifies" it too much. I mean the sound is good, but some of the rammstein songs gets a little voice into the sub from time to time and it really throws off the vocals. I cant turn the freq down anymore, and I Dont want to turn it up, the MBQ's take over at 60 so I am missing a little bit there. With the 10's though, I imagine I could run up a little higher in freqs and have them "quieter" because I pulled the Type R and the amp the other day and have just been using the MBQ's powered by scoche(sp?) and it sounds good, the bass is a little lacking because they are only 6.5's but Id like a sound that doesnt have an overly strong sub, but can still produce the same (or close to) db's as the type R, because occassionally I like turning it up. If that makes any sence

2. trism

trism New Member

ok, basically, 2 mediocre subs will never sound as good as one great sub.in an aussie....so $300usd is about.....$400AU

then factor that things will prob be a bit cheaper over there....

you are looking for punch clarity and 2ohm....
    basically n SQ woofer..

look at image dynamics...the IDQ, boston, the Boston G2, or if you ca find one the G5, alpine type x, hertz...