SRS Think I'm going to see someone

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Deadhead9150, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

So I've put up a couple threads and stuff here and people have said that I should go to see a therapist and I never have. I finally think I might. I don't know if I'm bi-polar (The more I research these things the more I think that is is likely especially considering it runs in the family) but recently instead of having days where I'm really happy and feel like I can do anything to days where I want to kill myself my mood is swinging from I'm the greatest to stick a fork in me over a matter of hours.:hs: It's just difficult because I'll feel terrible and I'll convince myself I should go and then by the time I think about going to talk to someone I feel fantastic so I just don't. I'm just so exhausted from these ridiculous swings in my mood. We'll see if I actually do something this time, it doesn't help that I'm deathly afraid of talking to someone about my problems. Wish me luck:sadwavey:

2. t-t-t-today

t-t-t-today New Member

People on this forum tell everyone with a problem to go see a therapist. I wouldn't listen to them. I don't think a therapist is going to solve your problems. Only you can do that.

I have to say though, you're pretty show some love :hs:for thinking that a therapist will solve your problems.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2008
  3. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

This is not an appropriate post for this forum. Show some respect.

4. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

show some love :hs:. Not only did I never say that it would solve all my fucking problems but you don't even know anything about what i've had to deal with in my life and you're sitting there making assumptions and calling me dumb. It's really very classy when someone is struggling to do something positive for themselves and you go and poke them with a stick. You're the kind of person who would have been heckling the kid who jumped off the building in England a couple months ago.

5. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Deadhead, if you think you may be Bi-polar, I just want to give you a heads up. I recently read a book, it was absolutely fantastic, and it was written by a psychiatrist who herself suffering from Manic-Depression (Also known as Bi-polar, depending on the various severity or swings into depression).

At any rate, it was an excellent book as it tells her life story, and she writes it from a point of view as though you're going along for the ride with her, you experience her highs and lows and the difficulties she had.

It's called "An Unquiet Mind" -- I highly recommend it.

6. Hey I feel you. Over the past month(s) I feel exactly how you feel now. It does suck and I know where you're coming from. Some days I'm happy as can be, other days I wouldn't mind being dead. Today is an inbetween day...I feel alright I guess. If you don't mind sharing (of course you dont have to!)...what is it in your life that makes you feel down on those days where you feel so miserable? Is it something specific or just life in general not being kind to you?

I do recommend seeing a therapist though. I've seen them in the past and although I didnt like going to the sessions, they did help. Right now I'm trying to find a new one as I didn't really like my old one so much...she talked to me like I was retarded and I hate that.

7. t-t-t-today

t-t-t-today New Member

BOOM! You called me dumb because I quit my job when i found out my employer was taking hundreds of dollars out of my paycheck. And now you freak the fuck out when someone calls you dumb? show some love :hs:

8. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

You had a job illegally, quit after you smash up some cars, and then come and complain about not getting unemployment. I don't see how they are even remotely similar. Oh, that's right, they aren't.

9. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

Who is the Author?

10. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

The real "diagnostic" term is bipolar, manic depression is the old one.

11. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Yes, exactly. It's a wide application term -- a relatively new one. Many people still know it by it's previous term and so many studies and authors still use the terms interchangeably. The polarity is so different between different people, that the manic or depressive phases may be minor or seemingly not present at all in some people, and this can lead to a misunderstanding when using the prior term of "manic-depression". Not everyone specifically follows the same debilitating cycle at the same specific time, and the original term implied that abrupt depression followed the manic episodes.

There is much debate presently over multi-term confusion with this illness. The primary reasons the term has been shifting have mostly to do with stigma and stereotyping combined with accessibility to categories that are better fit to the actual patterns of the illness.

12. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Dr. Kay Redfield Jamison

13. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

You've been reported.

Your thread is going to be deleted if you continue violating TOS. Both of you need to stop right now.

14. eljefedetonto

eljefedetonto OT Supporter

There isn't a :hsugh: big enough for what you've just said.

Yeah, people can solve a lot of their own personal problems if they put their head to it. But sometimes there are things you can't just sit there and reason out on your own, and a therapist can help YOU put those things in perspective.

15. vipergts24

vipergts24 New Member

show some love :hs:

16. t-t-t-today

t-t-t-today New Member

show some love :hs:

17. Come on guys, don't post that kind of nonsense in here. He's looking for help.

BTW, replied to your PM. :wiggle:

18. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

I wish you the best of luck with whatever decision that you make. However you might want to go see a psychiatrist who could diagnose you with any disorder(s) that you may have. Bi-Polar runs in my family as I have just recently found out, my aunt (mother's sister) and uncle (gma's brother) both have diagnosed cases and that same aunt's daughter is on several of the meds her mother is on but I have not been told if she is bi-polar or not. this really scares me as I have problems with severe depression, self image, anxiety and stuff myself. I too am noticing that I have days or periods of time where sometimes I am having a "high" where I am in good mood, nothing can go wrong, I exercise a lot, go out and do things I don't normally do, have racing thoughts or have to do things several times, and then I also have my days where I'm down, blue, and just want to crawl under a rock and not come out (or in my most recent case lock myself in my bedroom for about 3 days and come out for under 2 hours a day :hs: ).

19. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

My sister is going to be a psychologist, she has showed a lot less effort to investigate herself, and from my highly speculative and unreliable yet close observation, appears to be suffering the same plight as us.

While they are certainly well trained, and no one is going to argue with that, I am going to argue that you are the best one to train yourself. My sister is quick to point out any insecurities, and for me this is a valuable tool. Does she hold valid evidence? On what grounds? To learn about ones self is great.

I fear that too many are being told what they have, and that turns into who they are, how they are, etc.

I don't think we would see quite so much mental turmoil if people investigated seriously into an answer within themselves.

I find it hard to believe that those with sincerity will never find the answer. When you are ready to leave hell, the way out is there.

20. roose

roose Guest

:hug:

show some love

21. illectronic

illectronic I'm Coming Home OT Supporter

You should definately see a psychiatrist (doctor) as well. It sounds like bi-polar, but you should get a few opinions first. Bi-polar is very similar to borderline disorder. Going to a therapist is important, but I think he/she will recommend you get properly diagnosed first.