Think I'll go ahead and become anorexic.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Thurman Merman, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thurman Merman

Thurman Merman OT Supporter

Been in a caloric deficit for 2.5 months now, eating around 1200 calories a day. Lost about 3 pounds. :ugh: Been lifting 3 to 4 days a week and doing cardio intermittently. My BMR is ~1950 calories. This should be working and it isn't at all.

Time to starve. :eek3:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now with more Uggo. These were taken 30 minutes after a workout. Kind of engorged with blood, so I'm looking a little more bloated than usual.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  2. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

Weight loss really isn't a valid measurement of success in some people's case. You could be adding weight (IE: muscle).

3. Drewski

Drewski New Member

:werd:

get a pair of BF calipers. not perfect, but better than a scale for tracking fat loss

4. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

aww don't do that... hang in there buddy!

5. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Use the mirror dude, not the scale.

6. Thurman Merman

I am, but I don't want to be. It's fairly obvious to me that I'm trading fat for muscle...slowly. I'd rather it not be this way. I'm not eating enough to really be building any new muscle. The whole purpose of this cutting routine was to burn fat while losing as little muscle as possible, but burning fat is the main goal. I'm already large enough at 5'9" 190 pounds. I'd like to lose 10 pounds of fat, not gain 5 of muscle and lose 5 of fat. I want to cut out and finally be able to see my whole abdominal sheath again. :mad:

7. Thurman Merman

Thanks. I do. From December to February I made the most progress. Since then, there has been no real noticeable change in my appearance save for my arms, which are cutting out a little bit. I can also barely see the top of my abdominals. It's been that way for over 2 months with no real change.

8. Thurman Merman

I'm hyperglycemic (thanks mom). It's damn near impossible for me to burn fat. I can't keep bulking, either, since even though I can put on muscle fairly easily, I also add fat along with it at an alarming rate.

9. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

Then you're perfect. Don't change anything.

10. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

up the calories 500.

11. Thurman Merman

After nearly 3 months, I should have lost a lot more fat than I have. For 2 months I've had the same fat stores around my love handles/stomach/back and it hasn't shrunk at all (first to gain last to lose, etc). The thing that pisses me off, though, is that I don't have much fat anywhere else, so it should be melting off of my midsection. It isn't.

Also, I geared this cutting routine so that I would lose fat, even at the loss of some muscle (I've got plenty), so I think I should be burning off this fat a lot faster than I am. It's not geared to gain muscle/lose fat equally, so I'm not sure why that is what is happening. :hs:

12. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

I would start doing cardio for 45 minutes per day-7 days a week. I bet you see changes rather quickly.

13. TZ

TZ Banned

Yes, it's impossible for you to lose weight; minus whale stop trying :hsugh:

14. Thurman Merman

Tried it. :o

Gained 5 pounds when I did. I went from 185 to 191 and then back down 190 in a couple days when I added 500 more cals. :sad2:

My weight has been really weird lately. In December I was 201. A week later I was 190. Fast forward two months to the beginning of march, and I dropped down to 180. I quit smoking and kept dieting/exercising. 3 days later I was 191 pounds again. I've been fluctuating between 185 and 190 for the last 3 weeks, with no clear reason why.

15. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

16. Thurman Merman

Who the fuck said anything about quitting trying to lose weight? Get the fuck out.

17. Thurman Merman

I'd rather keep lifting 3 to 4 days a week. I have planned on starting cardio on days when I'm not lifting, though, as both a fat burning tool and a regenerative tool for muscle repair. I'm about to sell my mountain bike and get a road bike so I can use it to get around town (gas is 3 bucks a gallon now :ugh: ). I'll probably start going this week on off-days to the gym and hit a treadmill or bike or efx. :dunno:

18. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Keep lifting but do cardio after your workout and on your days off. You're not really doing anything to burn the fat off. Obviously, working out is not burning the fat like you want so it's time to step up. How bad do you want it?

19. Memor

Memor Active Member

in general it's probably a good idea to take BDR's advice dude :mamoru:

20. Thurman Merman

I'm expending more calories in a day than I eat. I should be losing weight either way, whether it be muscle or fat or both. I'm pretty bummed about it because I'm an Exercise Physiology major and I've been studying this stuff for quite a while, so I should know what to do to fix this problem, but I can't seem to figure it out. I think my Hyperglycemia is a problem.

The first time I cut down to below 10% bf I didn't do any cardio at all. :dunno: I was working out 6 days a week, though (Arnold's beginner bodybuilding workout in his Encyclopedia). I simply don't have the time to make it to the gym 6 days a week anymore, and, honestly, don't have the money to feed myself enough to keep from withering away at that kind of intensity level.

I do appreciate your advice, and I have been planning on adding in some more cardio, but I really hate it and would feel like I'm losing a lot of energy that could go into my lifting routine instead, which I love. In fact, I'm glad this thread isn't filled with the usual F&N bullshit replies like "shut up and go lift."

So thanks everyone for the advice.

21. Thurman Merman

Rest assured I'm reading everyone's replies and giving equal thought to all advice anyone gives me. I wouldn't have posted anything if I didn't want to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions.

22. Thurman Merman

Heading to the gym with Tard Carnival ( :hsugh: ), hope for some more good suggestions and advice when I get back. :)

23. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

has your pants got any looser?

24. Thurman Merman

Not really, no. Not in the last 2 months, anyway. From December through January they got a bit looser, but since February (when I started my cutting routine), they haven't.

Been getting stronger, though, even in a calorie deficit. Bench press went from 60s to 80s (I can't do barbell, torn rotator cuff), Deadlift went from 285 to 350, and squat went from 225 up to probably 280 (haven't tried 1rm on squats, but I do 245 6-8 reps on my third set).

25. archangel

archangel Active Member

Isn't weight loss a symptom of hyperclycemia ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.