GUN Think I am going to carry to work today.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RebootEnzo, Oct 16, 2008.

1. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

I paid all this money to have a CWL only not to be able to carry it too the places I am at the most. School and Work... Well of course I am not going to carry it to school because thats illegal, I can't even leave it in the damn car. So I am going to take it to work. I read over the work handbook and it said nothing about me not being allowed to carry to work but even if it did the worst thing that can happen is they fire me?

My gun is kinda big and with my work clothes does not conceal as well. That really being my only concern. Also, my work place is very very liberal and are 100% against guns. Some people there have swore never to touch a gun. Others have had friends killed by guns and think they should all be melted down.

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If they had a policy against firearms on the grounds, you could possibly be arrested for trepassing I suppose, but yes, really the only thing they can do is fire you. But if there's nothing in the company policy forbidding it, then you could argue that you were never told not to.

I'm pretty sure the number of people who "had a friend killed by a gun" outnumbers the number of actual guns in the world 100 to 1.

If you can't carry it properly concealed, find a way to, open carry it, or don't carry it. :dunno:

3. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

You can't open carry in Florida and besides they would fire me as soon as I walked in.

4. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Might wanna lookup the rule on leaving it in your car at school. The "gun free zone" means no guns inside the schools property.

Texas you can leave a gun in your car, but its illegal to use on campus or to have directly on you

5. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

I know we just had someone arrested at my campus for leaving it in his car.

6. LancerV

7. clarus

clarus OT Supporter

Unrelated.

8. LancerV

Yea I was wondering if thats what he was talking about.

This is flordias law about in your car:
    (5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

9. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

10. LancerV

Yeah but he was carrying on him, leaving your gun in your car should be fine.

11. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

But what about having a firearm on you with a CWL in a private place.

12. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

I work in a grocery store so it might go under public gathering.

13. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

I am unaware of a "public gathering" clause in FL, at least not one that is as bad as GA's.

If you are reffering to the public gathering clause in GA, then the grocery store is not off limits. Burns vs the GA in 1991 (I think that year is right) defined the difference between public place and public gathering. A grocery store is not a PG. I OC regularly into grocery stores.

14. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Yeah I was thinking GA.

I know I can carry into these places if I don't work there so is the only difference that I could just get fired? I just don't want to get charged with trespassing or something.

15. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

AFAIK and IANAL you can only be fired, but if you are asked to leave and do not comply, you can be arrested for criminal trespass.

16. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

In Florida the school can adopt a written firearm policy, pursuant to the Florida statute, which allows them to ban firearms even in your vehicle while on campus.

See §790.115

a person may carry a firearm:

3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.

For the purposes of this section, "school" means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic.

790.25(5)

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

17. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I haven't looked into the details of it, but since you are in florida and say you can't take you gun to school and even leave it in the car, I figure I'll pass this along and you can look into it if you want.

I have heard it said that "School [or at least university/college] is covered by the florida 'take you guns to work' law."

Don't take my word for it, but it is something to look into. Maybe send a letter to someone such as the Florida Attorney General requesting a clarification, or read the text of the law.

18. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Exceptions pursuant to Fla. Stat. §790.251

7) EXCEPTIONS.--The prohibitions in subsection (4) do not apply to:
    (a) Any school property as defined and regulated under s. 790.115.

However 790.115 states the exception...

3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.

790.25(5) is just discussing how the firearm must be secured.

To read the final Bill check here: http://www.flsenate.gov/data/session/2008/House/bills/billtext/pdf/h050303er.pdf

They like to keep it hidden that you can have a gun in your car as long as it is securely encased and there is no written policy waiving the exception...

Most schools do have the written waiver though however it is more about student and campus parking privileges. If you are a guest/invitee tables change.

19. clarus

clarus OT Supporter

Best bet would be to call up an attorney and check for certain.