SRS Things were going great until the summer

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Drifter87, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I will start with the good stuff first...

**(Three Sentence Summary at the very bottom, this is the details of everything)**
    College:
    My first year of college really sucked, so I set my self up some goals for next year and I pretty much met all my goals that I had for college. I made friends with a great group of people, there were plenty of parties to go to, I finally picked a major that I love, I pulled my GPA up (Finally a 3.0 overall and I made the deans list this quarter with a 3.75), I hit the gym 3-4x a week, I avoided all the assholes from my first year of college, and overall I was very happy. Out of 9 months of being there I had maybe a total of 5 bad days.

This is where summer hits...

Work:
    I just got a new job in NYC with a small company as a programmer. When I get there I end up having to work with 3-4 languages I have never even seen before. On my resume I put down what I knew "fluently" and the stuff I am working with has nothing to do with what I know.

My boss thought I could pickup these languages quickly, but the program I am adding on to has no Comments so It takes me hours to figure out what each block of code is doing. The previous coder (My Supervisor) did not follow any naming convention. (IE. instead of saying 'var backRack:String' he says 'var br:string'). My boss is kinda of understand that I am having a rough time learning 3-4 new languages, but he is also upset that it took me 2 weeks to program a recycle bin. When I email my Supervisor for help he tells me he can't help currently or tells me something I already know and gets me off the phone asap. (Yes my Supervisor telecommutes).

Yes I am working in NYC which I love, but I seriously hate my job, programming isn't my number one choice and it doesn't help that I work with languages I have never seen before. I don't feel like I am accomplishing anything and it gets me really down during lunch and after I leave work. Right now I am counting the days until I get let go. Honestly I am spending my own "free" time at home trying to learn these languages and its just to much to learn in 10-12 weeks and to complete a large project. (I am about to start week 3 of 10/12 of my job).

I talked to my parents about quitting and going back to my old job as a general IT guy, but both of my parents told me to stick at my current job until I get fired, because I make $5/hr more then my old job. Which I hate, I only like to get paid when I do what is expected of me. I hate getting paid for not completing anything.

Women:
    Current Girl:
    There is a girl I am really into, we have had sex a bunch of times, and we get along great with each other. Now the kicker... she is living with her grandparents while she does her internship, so she is about 1.5 to 2hrs away from me. I work M-F and she works Thursday, Friday, Sunday. So whenever we try to plan something shes busy or I have work or she cancels.

I am going to give it one more shot and try to set something up for Friday, if that fails... I think I may just give up. Since it is me who calls and tries to set stuff up and she shoots it down or cancels. Our conversation tonight after she canceled was maybe this coming Friday will be good. One last thing, the reason she was busy on Saturday was because she was hanging out with a new guy she was telling me about :hs: (I swear it is the distance that is killing us, if she was living with her parents there would be no question).

This One Girl:
    I found out a girl who is graduating from my High School will be going to my College in the fall. So having nothing else to do on a Saturday night my one friend and I went to check out their play. It was funny as hell and I ran into her. We talked for maybe 3 minutes about college and the play, but she was in a rush to cleanup. So now I am wondering how to get to know her better... I didn't get her number, she was in too much in a rush and other people wanted to talk to me.

Meeting Girls In General:
    Normally I meet girls through School or my friends, but my college is guy heavy (talking 75-80% male) and 3 of my 5 best friends are out of state, so we aren't throwing nearly as many parties as we did last year. So I am at a lost were a 20yr old guy goes to meet people? My one buddy was talking about going to a club together, but other then clubbing and bars where can a guy go?

In Short:

I met all the goals I set for my second year of college and I am really happy BUT, I really hate my new job, I have no idea why they hired me. My relationship with this girl I am really into (she even told me she really wants me) is being destroyed by distance. Trying to figure out how to get to know this girl who is graduating from my high school and going to my college better, and trying to figure out where to meet new people and girls since my college is guy heavy and most of my friends are gone for the summer.

2. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

first of all NO ONE should be that unhappy at their job idk if you make $1000/hr more if ur not truely happy then there's no point as far as meeting girls goes can't really help you there try and make it work with this girl now imo id quit go back to my old job and do my best to make the relationship i have now work

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Dude, your job sounds like me at my old job. I was in systems development (first job out of college) and I was the unhappiest I had ever been in my entire life. I had to learn a shitty proprietary language that was of no use outside the company, working 40-70 hour weeks of unpaid overtime, mandatory weekends, constantly lost at work with no clue wtf was going on with the aforementioned shitty proprietary language, hard to get help, etc. I stuck with it for almost 2 years until finally I couldn't take it anymore. I had been talking about quitting my job ever since about the 6 month mark, but I didn't want to be a quitter at my first job after college so I stuck with it for just over 23 months and then one Friday I called my mom and I was like "I think I'm gonna quit on Monday." She was like "I think you should..." So I went in on Monday, gave my 2 DAYS notice, and that was that.

The point is, my job was ruining my life. I dreaded waking up because I had to go to work. I never knew what time I would be able to leave work. Some days we had to stay until 8, 9, 10, 11pm, or later. When I was getting my wisdom teeth pulled, I was happy because I didn't have to be at work that day. I got sick constantly from stress, etc.

After I quit, I was unemployed for almost 6 months (which was awesome, but that's another subject). So my advice about your job is based on your answers to the following questions:

- Are you financially stable enough to quit? If not, don't quit. I'm a frugal bastard and had some money saved so I was able to quit with no problem.

- Can you get a new job easily?

- Are you really fucking miserable or are you still adapting to the learning curve of a new job? Don't quit because something is hard at first. And if this is just a summer job then who cares, anyway?

4. Drifter87

Yes, my brothers company is looking for an IT Intern for the summer and he said I would be perfect for the job. It is just I would make $10/hr instead of $15. To be honest my parents pay for college and all of this money I am making I just hand to them to help pay.

If you look at it... right now I pay ~$450 in travel (Monthly Train Ticket, Subway Pass, and Gas/Insurance to get to the train station from my house).

If I worked for my brother I could car pool with him and pay $0. Though when I do the math I would still make $400 less a month after expenses.

To start this job isn't even related to my major, so I'm not getting credit towards graduating. The learning curve is a very steep one, if I was a Computer Science major and I was going to be here for 6 months, I would suck it up and do my best. But I am a Networking Major and I have 10 weeks total. (Currently on week 3 of 10).

As much as I want to quit, I had a talk with my Mom this morning. She is saying to just hang in there and that it is only 10 weeks and this can really help my resume. I can understand what she is saying, just to suck it up and do my best, but at the same time I really don't look forward to going to work. At the end of the month when my Train and Subway tickets run out we will see were I stand. (Then it will be the half way point).

I called her today to set something up (Figure 5-6 days in advance she would have to be free). Turns out Saturday and Sunday is bad. She said she was busy. She suggested Friday, but I had plans two weeks in advance with some friends and I can't just blow them off.

I also told her my parents are going to be gone all next week, so she could come over the days she is not working. We could get dinner and go do something and if it was late she could crash at my place. She told me she would think about it.

Well if she claims she is "busy" again when she doesn't have work. I think I will just forget about her and move on. You are right, if she wanted me she would make the time to come see me. Over my spring break I drove out to her college so we could hookup. When it came time for her to come visit me she just kept canceling on me until the summer started.

To me it seems like if I go to her on her terms everything is OK, but if she has to come to me, it is just to much effort for her to get in her car and drive out.

:werd: and I like it blunt :hs:

5. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

put in your 2weeks at that job, explain to you boss that its not working out and how they'd be better off finding someone that already knows the languages. It'd be better to leave on your own terms under good conditions than to wait until it gets worse and they fire you. If i was your boss i'd respect you 100x more if you made that decision in a responsible manner than just collecting paychecks until we fired you.

6. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

I would also be more likely to re-hire you at a later time or provide positive references if you came forward with the decision to leave than waiting to get fired.

7. Drifter87

Well today during work things were just clicking, two weeks of struggling and I managed to get the Recycle Bin to function properly and these two status bars to update.

When I got handed a new task, I did my normal thing were I find out where in the program I need to add on to, took out the book and read the chapter a few times, check out the Live Docs, did a general google search, and emailed my supervisor with questions. (The program I am updating has no comments and follows no coding standard).

Once again my Supervisor gives me some BS reply and pretty much just says "Research It", when I am asking what the hell lines 500-1500 are saying since its complete gibberish.

I thought I did a great job today, I actually produced something, but my Boss seemed to not be as happy as I was.

Every Time I talk to my parents about quitting they keep speaking of the learning curve and that I will eventually get it, but I fear by the time I get it, my internship (the 10 weeks) will be up and the project will only be 25-50% done at the current rate I am progressing/learning.

So right now I think the plan is to see how far I get in the next 15 days (until the end of this month), If I am still doing a terrible job, I think I will just thank my boss very much for hiring me and maybe in the future if he needs a Networking Guy or if I learn more about programming languages I could come back.

What gets me is on my Resume I stated what languages I knew and could just dive right into, yet they throw stuff at me that I've never seen before and would take me 10 weeks to learn well enough to be able to sit down and just code away.

8. Drifter87

Update:

Work:
    The boss and I had a talk this morning, if I don't get so far along with the project in the next one to two weeks, we are going to have another talk (I think thats when I will resign).

Right now it is not helping that I got thrown a huge task to do this week and my supervisor (Original Coder) is no where to be found so I can ask him questions.