SRS Things were going great for a while

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Mar 31, 2007.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I was 6' 0", 145 lbs. I hated being so tall, weak, and skinny. I was really depressed and life sucked. I read on the internet that one of the best things you can do it set goals for yourself if you want to get out of depression. So I set a goal that I would gain weight to about 170 and work out. Well for a few weeks I was eating more and got up to about 157 lbs. I could be wrong but it seems like when you are a little more than very skinny, you are happier. I weighed more and I was generally happier. It is like my body was chemically balancing itself and mentally I was happy.

I can't explain this next part, maybe someone can help. For no reason, I got really depressed again and stopped eating. My weight went back down to 150 and to this day I weigh the same, feel the same, and am just as weak and skinny as always. Why would this happen? Did I have a relapse or something?

2. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Generally speaking, when you set goals for yourself and can see progress (i.e. gaining weight), you tend to have happier thoughts. I'm not sure why you got depressed and lost weight. I would work on this depression and then concentrate on bulking up again. Good luck!:wavey:

3. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

That's your problem right there.

Are you serious? A few weeks?!?!

It takes along time to put on mass. This is not a short-term project.

You have to be in it for the long haul. Don't focus on your weight at all in the short term.

I was a fat slob and dieted down to 150 lbs. With water weight I made it to 160 pretty easily (I think at 150 I had gotten all the water out).

I went from 160 to 170 and was stoked. So what happened? You guessed it, dropped right back to 160.

But the next time I hit 170, I was able to hold it. Then I went from 170 to 180 and guess what? Couldn't hold it and went back to 170.

Eventually made it to 175, then I went from 175 to 200 too quickly and gained too much fat. Now I'm at 185.

This whole process took probably close to 3 years. I know it was more than 2 years.

It just doesn't happen quickly, and you can't let yourself get discouraged. Where would I be if I gave up each time my weight went backwards?

4. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

See what happened in your situation was:

You set a goal...

You achieved your goal...

Then you had nothing else to achieve, so you got depressed.

You can't stop there. You have to keep setting your goals. What is your ideal goal? Reach and stay at a weight? Be able to bech 200 lbs? Pick something that seems way out of reach (200lbs is impossible for me to bench ^.^).

For example, I told myself that I wanted to be able to bench my weight and have abs where I don't have to flex to see a 6-pack. I've been working out for about 4-5 weeks now with that in mind, and I really haven't gotten any closer to my goal. but I keep trying and trying cause I have something to try for. ( and if anyone actually knows me, I don't stop until I achieve my goal or I won't ever stop )

Keep setting goals for yourself. Make a log. Do this:

Daily Goal: Work out for 1 hour - Run for 30 minutes
    Weekly Goal: Gain 6 lbs.
    Monthly Goal: Get to 155lbs.
    Yealy Goal: Get to 175lbs and stay there.

Keep updating it. Adjust it as you much. This way you can lay out and see what you want to achieve and you will have a better chance of achieving it.

5. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

I'm 5'11 and used to weigh 115 lbs. I'm currently 180 lbs at 15% fat. I spent so much time when I was younger working out and trying to gain weight and then it seemed that I wasn't gaining anything. I don't know what's going on with you, but I'll explain what was happening to me, and hope this helps.

In my case, I started by overtraining, I would spend about 2 hours in the gym every day and would expect results. Then I'd go in overtraining mode where I would lose all energy and get depressed. Then I would stop working out for a few months then restart. Sure I gained weight, but I went through many difficult overtraining phases that are draining and disturbing to your life in general.

What i eventually needed to understand is that muscular weight gains are done over a long amount of time (took me 7 years to gain that weight), and that it is better to work out twice a week for 45 minutes and continue that all your life than workout 5 times a week, 2 hours at a time and having to stop after 2 months due to overtraining.

What you need to gain weight is stimuli for your muscles, increase in testosterone levels (caused by constant physical activity), proper nutrition, a lot of rest and most importantly, you must enjoy working out for working out's sake. If you don't enjoy going to the gym but are doing it only for the purpose of gaining weight, you will go in depression when there are no apparent immediate results. Therefore, if you don't like working out, find a sport you like to practice. It might not give you the physique of a bodybuilder (which is overrated anyways), but will help you become healthier and happier.

6. Kerberos

Kerberos New Member

Very true, working out is a way of life.

Of course, there are shortcuts like steroids and growth hormones. But those take all the fun and challenge out of working out. BTW, take into account that 99% of professional bodybuilders take steroids and or growth hormones, and that chances are that your classmates that look too big for their ages are taking steroids. If I remember correctly, about 10% of high schoolers take steroids. And remember that side effects of steroid include:
    Impotence
    Increase in nipple and breast size (gynecomastia)

As for growth hormones, they're expensive as hell.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007