SRS Things to do in a brand new city

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pantheR, Apr 23, 2010.

1. pantheR

pantheR New Member

Graduated in march, just moved to DC for a job (started this week) - don't know a single person. Looking for social networking suggestions other than the standard stuff (go out with your coworkers, join a tennis club, gym membership, etc.)

2. hawk_196

hawk_196 Light Yourself on Water

Go to a coffee shop and talk to other people. Tell them you're new in town and dont know what there is to do.

3. percent

percent deluded

That is about as standard as you get.

I'm a little confused as to why the OP specifically asked for non-standard stuff? Anything non standard would most likely be weird and/or creepy. (Purposely get sent to jail to meet people? Stand on street corner with sign that says "i has no friends.")

Just do the standard stuff. There is a reason it is standard.

4. aaarn

aaarn New Member

join a pool/bowling/kickball league

5. Alexqzilla

Alexqzilla New Member

How old are you? Co-workers are a great place to start

6. hawk_196

hawk_196 Light Yourself on Water

Not exactly. What I understood when he said "standard stuff" was to place yourself in a situation where it is generally encouraged to socialize and meet with other people (i.e. a book club). Going out somewhere and talking to complete strangers is a step further.

Anything further and you risk being a complete weirdo I suppose. Door-to-door soliciting a religion/atheism and making friends with those people? Giving out surveys at the mall and getting people's contact info that way? Can't think of many more outlandish things you would want to do to meet new people..

7. pantheR

pantheR New Member

I said non standard because they are things I am already doing. Just trying to get some new/different ideas. thanks so far :)

8. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

dc has shit like this out the ass for all the other early 20s throngs that moved here from kansas to change the world and get their masters

coed kickball, softball, ultimate, etc leagues all over the place

9. NappyTurk

NappyTurk Banned

10. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

DC is an awesome city man shouldn't be too hard meeting other people your age. Kinda helps us to know what your interests are though. Meet up with some DC OTers maybe :dunno: either that or social networking groups for things you are interested in. Example I tagged along this weekend with a friend to this beer thing he was going to he found out about it on twitter b/c he's into home brewing I didnt know anyone there really but it was pretty chill and had a good time. Maybe volunteer for something habitat for humanity something like that lots of young people do that too.

11. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

I'd start off with co-workers. Then branch out from there. Lots of my friends I met at work.