things i don't like about my macbook

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Feb 22, 2007.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

this shouldn't be a long list, just nitpicks

-i don't like how the superdrive makes noise when i bring it out of sleep, i also don't like how it spins up a disc if it's in the drive

-the super drive is super slow when it comes to recognizing a disc or starting a dvd, i've had much less powerful laptops that were quicker at this

-the speakers are weaksauce

-if i hit F3 to mute the speakers, sometimes the sound icon in the corner will not change

-when i type sometimes i bump the trackpad and it moves my cursor, however the "ignore accident input" option usually fixes this. but then you have a tradeoff because my pointer takes an extra second to emurge after typing sometimes

-battery life suffers by about 30 - 40 mins when you have airport on

-the white case scratches as easily as a first gen nano

-no easy way to organize the icons in the upper bar (bluetooth, battery, wifi, sound, clock). only way i've found is to go into system prefs and toggle wether to show it or not, then do it in the order you want

-my digipix look like crap on this screen(1280X800), but look amazing on my desktop lcd which is 1280X1024. the pix look distorted and low quality and the actual size button seems to reduce the size to less than half, but quality is restored

-parallels keeps trying to do the disk compression everytime i open it up (resume my virtual machine)

any fixes for any of these? other than the obvious- keep it in a sleeve, get some nice headphones etc
    now, i could make a list of things like, but i would be here all day because i love my macbook
    -magsafe power
    -isight
    -thin and light
    -battery life is decent with the screen dimmed low
    -doesn't get as hot as an ibook
    -all the keyboard commands in osx, 2 finger scrolling, amazing multitasking, etc etc etc

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

cmd-click the icon and drag to arrange, or drag off of the task bar to remove it.

3. dorkultra

hey cool, cmd + click and drag works, thanks!

bluetooth is disabled, airport still eats up at least a half hour though. i posted a thread about this a couple of weeks ago.

my macbook has a brighter screen than my 17" samsung lcd, colors are better on the macbook too

macbook is super quiet, with exception of the superdrive. only time it gets loud is when i open up parallels and the fan speeds up. i'm coming from a 700mhz generic laptop that didn't have a fan, that thing was super quiet

4. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

The only complaint I have is the non-illuminated keyboard like the MBP...

5. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I :love: my backlit keyboard

6. notwist

notwist Active Member

I am happy with my Macbook. I upgraded from an old G4 Powerbook 12". I originally was gonna go with the MBP but decided to go with the Macbook since I don't really need the video capabilities or larger screen of the MBP.

7. BlaqueMan

BlaqueMan New Member

i love my NON-INTEL, powerbook G4, there are absolutely no flaws with it:wiggle:

8. bheld

bheld I'm paying you with your own money...

I hate how when I mute the speakers they never seem to stay muted for long.

9. dorkultra

thats what i was going to say...it's possessed

10. KuntryFresh

KuntryFresh Midwest

i love my macbook :bowdown:
    unfortunatly its a secondary computer to my imac. however i take it everywhere with me. the only thing it doesent have on it is pics and my entire music library ( gotta have some tunes)

it does the job. school work, internets, chit chat, poems :mamoru: ( from another thread i still laugh at when i think about it ) blogging :hsugh:

if it were my main i woulda got a MBP.

wish i woulda gotten an apple my first yr of college shitty HP FTL....but then i would have had a powerbook all these yrs.

11. slfmade

slfmade New Member

:hsugh: thats a weird list of things that you dont like. i dont even notice the sound of my computer, for some reason that has never ever gotten to me or even been noticed and it seems like there are a number of people that complain and the sound of external HD and other stuff, never really understood that.
    a lot of those other things are kind of obvious.
    obviously the battery life will be reduced when using the wireless internet as it uses an antenna and has to receive a signal vs just having a cord plugged in, is this not true for other laptops?
    obviously, when a computer is brought out of sleep it is going to identify all of its inputs and drives, hence spinning up to see what is in the drive, is this not true for other laptops?
    i havent noticed the superdrive being slow, but i rarely watch dvds on my computer as i have a tv and dvd player but i have not noticed it taking a long time to recognize other cds, i guess it depends on our definition of super slow
    even the laptops with the harmon-kardon speakers suck at producing sound, i usemy headphones when i listen to music and just th regular speakers doing everything else as i dont really care, i have a stereo that i can plug into the headphone out jack on my computer to play anything i want to actually hear.
    i havent noticed the menu bar speaker display not changing so i dont know what to say about that, i dont really mind not being able to organize the menu bar, works fine for me
    not sure what to tell you about the picture quality, do you have the glossy or low-glare screen?
    i dont use parallels enough to know anything about it really.

not sure if youll be able to find a way to fix these problems i guess youre having but good luck

12. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

you do realize that having wireless turned on on any system will eat it's battery life right? 30-60 minutes is normal for any system.

13. tehaviator

tehaviator what u think badass that me

my biggest gripe is accidentally hitting the eject button instead of delete :(

14. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

I do that all the time...:noes:

15. Corporate Whore

Corporate Whore New Member

my only problem is whenever I open my MB the speakers make a crackling sound 2 times as it's waking up from sleep

16. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

i hate that. i wish you could change it so cmd-eject ejected it.. i don't think you can though.

17. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

i'm not a fan of the quality of the case. and the OS is kind of buggy once in a while :hs:

18. dorkultra

i also wish i would have put up the extra $200 for the blackbook, even though it's the same speed. a bigger hard drive probably my next upgrade, and the blackbook just looks hot

19. ih8mice

ih8mice New Member

you know what they say about going black :naughty:

20. HomosexualThug69

HomosexualThug69 I like Big Black Cock

i dont like the build quality of the case-- not as sturdy as i initially believed it to be. a small plastic piece broke off right where the magnetic latch comes down the other day... thank God an apple store is down the street. Small flickering issue on the screen everytime i wake it up. Otherwise I love the macbook.

21. Queenpkn

Queenpkn New Member

wtf most stable OS ever.

22. Rip The Jacker

clock is never correct if it goes to sleep, a bunch of little annoying stuff like that. and i get this wierd black screen teling me i need to reboot all the time.

i'm going to get flamed for this, but XP has been way more stable for me on my macbook, and so far its looking like vista's more stable for me too.

23. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

sounds more like a hardware problem than OS X. maybe you should get that checked out.

24. Rip The Jacker

i'm sick of hardware issues on this thing.

25. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

you're getting kernal panics, did you install memory yourself?