GUN Thiking about a Yugo AK

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by idleprocess, Feb 3, 2008.

1. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Hey - it's not another AR thread!

I have a WASR-10/63 that I'm not entirely satisfied with (occasional weird FTFs/FTEs and other ).

I've heard good thing about Yugo AKs. They seem to be a step up from the Romanian AKs while not being as expensive as Polish or .ru AKs (which can encroach on AR prices).

Centerfire systems has them for about the same price:
    https://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=971

Do these come with a siderail? Worth buying?

Figures that AIM Surplus would stop selling the M70B1 as soon as I got serious about buying one.

I was originally interested in the M70B2 AKs that AIM Surplus was selling:
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_AK_M70AB2_7.62x39_Under-Folder_Rifle.html

Are these usable with the stock folded up? Does the stock interfere with the safety? Is cheek weld a distant rumor at best like most siderail-mounted optics?

Almost everyone that buys from AIM seems to be satisfied with their purchase. I've bought ammunition from them on a number of occasions and hand no complaint about the service (they offered to help me out with some problems I had on a box of silver bear 7.62x39).

EDIT: Yeah, I need to learn how to spell for the subject line.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No side rail, shootable folded but dont expect to hit much unless its real close, cheek weld not that great, if you put a rail on it some mounts may interfere with the stock folding.

3. idleprocess

A siderail on a folder doesn't make much sense. I was curious whether or not the fixed-stock model had the siderail.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Don't think the yugo's used them at all, you can always add one on.

5. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

The Yugos are great guns for the $$$, I have over 3k rounds though mine without a single malfunction. The finish is excellent, build quality is great for the price range, and the sights were perfect right out of the box.

6. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

Yes, the controls function when folded. Cheek weld is terrible. I had one (one of the very first M70AB2's produced) and ran about 1500 rounds through it. It was very reliable but as round count went up it became less and less accurate.

But for $429? You can't beat it.

7. idleprocess

8. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I would get the fixed stock. I've never fired a yugo but I haven't heard anything but good things about them. :dunno:

9. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

i've got a wasr-10. It's ok, and all black furniture on it.

I really want an under folder and probably will never build one if i get a parts kit. The prices for these are pretty good, and pending the current political situation picking one of these up and a couple of AR lowers is cheap insurance. I've got enough mags and other accessories from the WASR-10, but I want something of better quality. Are the yugos chrome lined? And how does one go about the process of getting a transfer to a local FFL?

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yugo's are non chrome. If you want chrome line then you'll want polish or one of the romy's that have been built here(not CAI) I don't know why everyone wants an underfolder the triangle side folders are MUCH better. To do the transfer find a place that does them cheap, then he'll have to get a copy of his FFL to the seller, pay the seller then the seller ships it to him, you fill out the 4473 and pay the fee.

11. xpinchx

FYI the fee is usually around $20, but I've seen some as high as $50. Depends on your area.

12. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Khyber Passes are pretty cool. They are probably the most comfertable/functional 47s.

13. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

well i'm wanting to pick up a couple of aks and ARs, as well as any other potential bannable fun things, before November this year. I already have an AK, so I have the ammo and mags to support a 47 at this time, but the prospect of 5.45 would be nice too as the ammo is/was cheaper and the recoil is lighter. So i don't know if it would do any good to get another 47, which is similar to my Rommy, but just the addition of an underfolder.

Anyone know of any good cheap 74s that are under folder?

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not going to find a 5.45 underfolder unless you build it yourself. Other then krinks noone put u/f stocks on 5.45's.

15. xpinchx

Like squid said you'd probably have to do it yourself. I was hesitant about 5.45 when I was looking at WASRs, but I ended up buying a WASR-2 on an impulse and I haven't looked back. It's about 11 cents per shot and has a lot less recoil and IMO much more suitable for a range gun just to mess around with.

16. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

well at this time i'm less worried about the range time, and more about the investment in a future gun considering that we have the high probability of the dems getting elected, and we all know what that would mean. I've always wanted an underfolder, and have a lot of the 47 mags... like 4 dozen or so. I'll probably go ahead and get the underfolder, but I should wait and give it to myself as a masters graduation gift.

...Choices :run: