they need to start making smaller capacity hard drives for less $$

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Sep 26, 2007.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i'm upgrading and my dad's office computers. i have to go with 200gb hard drives, because thats the cheapest possible price. it's such wasted space, after installing everything, he still has like 170gb free.

it would be nice if they made 20gb drives for like $20. that way nothing is really wasted and they are nice and cheap, disposable
    i could just get them on ebay, but having a warranty is essential. also, you can buy like 40gb drives, but for the same price you can usually get a 200gb drive

yeah i know i can get like a 200gb hard drive for $20 on black friday, i bought 4 last year

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

There is overhead cost, the casing and everything else that needs to be there independent of the storage capacity is the majority of the production cost.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I don't know if you've ever caught one of my post on the 160gb Western Digital drive, but it's the fastest drive in it's class, and it's only like $55 shipped.
    It's not that much slower than the Raptors, believe it or not.

They're so fast and cheap that I bought a handful of them, to use for alternate os's, as well as extra drives for my kids computers.

WD1600AAJS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136075

4. dorkultra

i should probably mention that the drives i used were PATA, which is usually about $10 less than SATA

the mobos in the office computers are athlons, kinda old but still work. i figure that replacing a hard drive every few years is a good thing to do

5. Doc Brown

Oh, that's too bad. That WD drive is really a good deal.

If you feel like poking around through the benchmarks, this Toms hardware link has quite a few drives matched up.
    Using the drop down arrows, you can see how any two drives match up.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html

6. dorkultra

thatnks for the insight, however speed is not much of a concern at his office. he runs dental software on it and types out a few letters, nothing intense

i usually end up getting seagate drives for my home use because of the warranty. they tend to be loud though, i find that WD and hitachi drives are very silent. i need to upgrade my main pc, it's still running sata II drives at 150mbs because thats all the board can handle. my macbook is my main computer btw
    i'll eventually get with the times and make a decent HTPC some day

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The majority of the cost of a hard drive is the motor and the reader arm and the chassis and the circuit board, none of which are affected at all by the bit density on the platters. A 10GB hard drive is 90% of a 1000GB hard drive -- the only cost savings comes from being able to use less-precise readers and from the OEM being smart enough to know nobody will pay top dollar for a small drive. Still, there's only so much they can trim before they're selling the thing at a loss.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they make 40gb drives for under $40... otherwise, shut up and get the better drives

9. Doc Brown

I understand that, but I think you might as well pick out a small capacity drive that performs well.

I spotted an 80gb Seagate in the upper part of the list.

10. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG