MIL They call me Mister 50%

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ranger-AO, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

So I got a fat envelope in the mail today from the VA. Apparently they are giving me a 50% disability for a knife wound I received (from another soldier) during my deployment. The fagtard sliced through the middle pad on my left thumb, partway through the bone, with a serrated knife. I've had reconstructive surgery to try to rebuild the nerve path, but it didn't take. I only talked to the VA once about it when I went for my post-deployment physical. Apparently they've been in contact with my surgeon (I elected NOT to use the VA doctors).

According to the letter, I'm due for $770/month for life - or until the disability is corrected.

So my question is this: Does this affect my ability to deploy? When I go through the pre-mob process, are they going to look at this and say I'm not fit to fight? The dead thumb is on my non-firing hand, and although I have to focus a little more when I grab with my left hand, in all other aspects I'm good to go.

2. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Wow... I know nothing about all that. But that's a hefty amount for a numb thumb.

3. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

nice.

4. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

You shouldn't get a penny of that money until you're separated from the military. Disability is compensation for injuries sustained, or conditions developed while serving to offset the effect they have on your ability to acquire and maintain a job.

That said, if the Army doesn't throw you in "non deployable" status, you have nothing to worry about. The best person to ask would be your primary care provider. Chances are none of us will have a clue.

I'll be pulling at least 50% disability at the point I retire for sleep apnea. This *is* a condition that can take me off of mobility status if I were to have it treated properly. Fortunately my physician pointed me towards a solution that treats the issue in a way that keeps me deployable.

*edit* I don't know if you're AD, Guard, or Reserve... my information is only useful if your AD. I have absolutely no idea how disability compensation works for Guard or Reserve.

5. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

so how do you go about getting bullshit symptoms giving you $$ forever. sleep problems? everyone has that in the military.

6. Ranger-AO

truth. The effective date is August 5th - the day after my last day on active duty orders.

Good advice. I'll shoot an email to my state mobility NCO. He's probably seen things like this many times.

I'm Guard, but you put me on the right track. Thanks. :wavey:

7. Ranger-AO

:squint:

8. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

the VA is completely seperate from the DoD, so no this will have no effect on your deployment status. If the military was going to do something then you would have to go in front on their medical board

9. Off

Off Memento Mori

:hsugh:

ask for ''stress leave''

10. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Did you develop sleep apnea while in the military or had it? Wouldn't of thought they'd let you in if you could "die in your sleep".

11. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Most sleep problems don't cause you to stop breathing in your sleep. I'm pretty sure you understand that not breathing = bad.

:dunno:

Since a sleep study is not a requirement for entry to the military, I'll never know. What I do know is that if at any point I need a CPAP, I'll be undeployable and eligible for 50% disability.

I honestly have absolutely no idea what the reasoning is behind giving those diagnosed with sleep apnea that level of disability compensation. I thought it was more hereditary than anything, and that there aren't any outside factors that could cause it. But if they want to pay me for having it, I'm not going to say no.

12. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

I have/had it, no biggie. Had some hellacious surgery that fixed it for me :bowdown:.

Had my nose crushed back into my sinuses :)rofl:) after I caught a fist with it, so they peeled back the skin on my nose and crushed it back into place, then took out my tonsils in the same surgery.

13. Parris04

Parris04 New Member

I can only speak if you are ARNG. On AKO look at your PUHLES if you have a 3..its going to be hard, if you have a 4. FORGET IT.

I don't know how you got disability and still actively serving though.

PaRrIs

14. Parris04

Parris04 New Member

Oh if you can pass an APFT unaided, (and not the alternate events) you should be gtg. but if you can do that how did you get 50%

PaRrIs

15. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Going to get 70% thanks to a Air Force Butcher.

16. whitecouch

Cliffs?

17. Ranger-AO

His shoulder looks like chopped pork. :noes:

18. whitecouch

:noes:

details?

19. dave5678

dave5678 New Member

Damn I hope when you go to the VA for your rating threw them they give you 100%.

One day I will go do that... still collecting 30% straight from the AF now though...

20. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

100% disability + E-7 or greater retirement pay = can actually retire at 38 years old :rofl:

21. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

how are you a WO flying an apache with your shoulder looking like meat?

:bowdown:

22. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

My dad is 100% from Agent Orange, gets a fat check every month, getting a raise soon, too. :cool:

23. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

My original flight physical was done for Combat Control, and all SOCOM flight physicals come through Army Aviation at Fort Rucker. So, after my surgeries, they just did updates to my status. Now, if i had to do a fresh flight physical today I wouldn't be qualified.

24. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

the thumb is, believe it or not, is the most expensive part of your body if you were to lose it

25. Ranger-AO

My thumb is a big ol' pain in the ass. My finger joints get sore when I spend a day moving/lifting a lot of heavy stuff because they have to grip without help from my thumb. But I don't think I would call this a 50% disability. Seems to me that they estimated a bit high. :dunno:

I'll be seeing my surgeon again next month for a final decision on the next move. We'll either leave it the way it is, or rob a nerve from another finger (each finger has two main nerves, running along each side). Right now I'm inclined to leave it the way it is. I don't like the idea of partially disabling one finger for a chance that I may be able to gain a few percentage points of use out of my thumb... :hs: