thermogenic foods

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by craigl33, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigl33

craigl33 New Member

2. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Bullshit. Not being mean but- yeah, it's pretty much bullshit.

3. craigl33

craigl33 New Member

i don't think so. it's pretty much a science. thermodynamics and cell/molecular biology.

4. Elfling

Elfling New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

. except for the green tea

6. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Green tea has been proven to raise metabolism by ~4%. The capsaicin bit isn't *entirely* false, but it sure as hell isn't 25%, and the amounts administered were ridiculously large.

Stuff like "if you eat a large bowl of soup which is mostly water you won't be as hungry" is just a duh. Simple volumetrics.

Ice water burns calories to heat it up? Technically true. Is it going to magically make you lose more weight without diet/exercise? No.

Etc., etc. Those are some egregious overstatements.

7. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

this one's the best:

High water intake reduces fat deposits and rids the body of toxins. Simply drinking eight 16 oz. glasses of water throughout the day, cooled to 40 Fahrenheit, will burn 200 calories; that's equivalent to running 3 miles! Ice water will burn more calories since your metabolism will increase to warm the water to body temperature. It is also very effective for reducing cravings. If you're not a water fan, we suggest you experiment with purified, spring or reverse osmosis water. If you're still not convinced, add a little juice for flavor. Don't drink Ice Water with meals as it dilutes digestive enzymes. A little warm water or herb tea is a good choice then.

lol.

8. craigl33

craigl33 New Member

how is that lol? for someone who goes to berkeley you seem to be oblivious to simple thermodynamics.

no one of you can deny this:
    ice water = 0 deg C
    body temp = 40 deg C
    1 calorie to increase 1g 1 deg C
    8 16oz glasses = 3628g water
    145,000 calories (145 Calories) to raise 3628g of 0 deg C water to 40 deg C

145 Calories burned to heat up ice water. while their calculations aren't precise (maybe they factored in walking, reaching, and pouring the 8 cups), it still proves that it takes energy to process water. oh or maybe they included filtering, transporting the water while in the body.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  9. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Sorry, but 8 cold glasses of water a day is not going to replace running 3 miles. Not to mention that 3 miles is more like 300 calories, not 200.

10. craigl33

craigl33 New Member

then drinking 8 16 oz ice water is like running 2 miles.

11. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Or that's a retarded article full of dieting half-truths that women's magazines loooove to print.

Yes, there is thermogenic evidence for capsaicin. Nobody has a recommended dose yet. Green tea is proven thermogenic; but it's not going to get you ripped in the face of a bad diet. Great, celery is a "negative calorie" food. Super. You going to eat celery all day? Wow, a bowl of mostly water soup fills you up and makes you eat less.

I'm not busting on you, seriously- that's just not a great article. Food PERIOD is thermogenic, you realize? Your body burns some percentage of the calories you take in while digesting. It's not enough to make up for not watching your calories.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  12. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

HOLY SHIT! I need to drink a gallon of ice water to burn a marginal and insignificant amount of calories to lose weight!

secondly that perspective is flawed. room temp water is at 20 C. so in reality, you're only burning 70 cals more than if you were to drink it at room temp.:mamoru:

and if you want to get even more technical, at 1atm and 0 degrees water, you're at a steady state between liquid and solid states of water. since you can't drink ice, let's be safe and raise the temp 1 more degree. also, body temp is more like 37C. so in all, that yields 15 cals less than the 145 calculation u gave. but what do I know, i prolly burnt the same amount typing this reponse.

lastly, all foods are thermogenic. however drinking that volume of water and its effects upon satiety, have greater impact on weight loss than its thermoregulatory responses.

13. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

That's just plain retarded, sorry.

Far easier not to eat those 200kcal in the first place rather than worrying about what temperature your water is at and relying on thermogenesis for weight loss.

14. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

from now on i'm warming all my water up to room temperature before i drink it when bulking, don't want to waste any precious calories!

15. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

You can heat the water to boiling and save even more calories :noes:

16. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

http://www.burnthefat.com/fat_burning_foods.html

17. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Awsome post!!!

18. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

What if someone else gets me the water?