thermal paste w/ i7 920?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TireSmokinSRT, Aug 13, 2009.

1. TireSmokinSRT

TireSmokinSRT Bring in the stunt cock

So i got my i7 920 and noticed that there are already thermal pads on the cooler. Would it behoove me to add some thermal paste as well or is that too much?

:wavey:

2. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

im running with the stock cooler that had the thermal paste already on it and i sit at 36C idle which is pretty good. make sure you attach those screws correctly, before i realized i was doing it wrong my cpu was at almost 60C idle

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

you wouldn't want to add to it because it would turn into more of an insulator instead of conductor.

If you have some decent thermal paste, you can scrape off the existing thermal pad with an old credit card or something plastic, wipe the base down with rubbing alcohol and apply a thin layer of paste and smooth it out with the same plastic card.

Honestly though, if it's just the standard intel heatsink, I don't think you'd see much difference in changing the thermal material.

4. TireSmokinSRT

thanks, i searched and saw your thread about that. I'll remember to push down and turn when installing it!

5. TireSmokinSRT

cool, i'm not planning on OC'ing or anything

6. DIABLOS

DIABLOS New Member

Personally i woudl apply my own thermal paste as the stock heatsink sucks ass and needs all the help it can get.

7. TireSmokinSRT

well i put everything together last night. What i was seeing was actually NOT a thermal pad but actually thermal paste that was pre-applied.

even with the warnings i still managed to not seat the cooler correctly the first time around :rofl:

8. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Typically, if you are an enthusiast, you would scrape the pad off the heatsink, wet sand it to a mirror finish, and then use your own thermal paste.

Otherwise, it should be fine as is, just don't OC it, though OC'ing on air is kind of dumb now anyways.

9. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

WTF?

10. GOGZILLA

:rofl: yeah dude that was a complete fail. basically because i put the heatsink on once the board was in the case so i couldnt really see it that well. definitely make sure that shit is on good and secure

11. GOGZILLA

yeah :facepalm:

12. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Ya I guess getting an extra 1GHz to 1.5GHz out of your processor is kinda dumb :ugh:

13. CodeX

CodeX Guest

lol all the poor people getting their panties in a bunch because I said OC'ing without water cooling is dumb.

Pro-tip: get a water cooling setup, you poor people :mamoru:

14. GOGZILLA

it takes about 30 seconds to go into your bios and OC your processor to a moderate level and not have to do any hardware work at all and it runs no trouble with air cooling. but you being mr insecure and getting shown wrong again go straight to personal attacks. i did miss your posts though makes it very entertaining

15. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Shown wrong?

I never said you can't OC on air cooling I said it was dumb because for 5% of the total cost of the computer extra you could get the hardware needed for water cooling and get 10x the benefit without damaging your hardware day by day.