Thermal paste: should i be concerned?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ryan112ryan, Jan 19, 2006.

1. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan New Member

[FONT=&quot]So im moving to a new case and I pulled out the mother board and tried taking off the fan of the heat sink.

what im concerned is that when I did, the heat sink moved and I was able to pull it off and there was a white paste on the CPU and the bottom of the heat sink, still moist, but I have had this comp for 2 years! Shouldn’t it be dried and firmly attached?

I put the heat sink down, put the fan on and tightened it with the metal straps and it’s very tight on there; do I need new thermal paste? Am I alright? Im not doing anything hardcore or over clocking. [/FONT] :noes:

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You should always re-apply thermal paste to your heatsink and cpu every few months or so. Everytime you take off the heatsink and CPU you will most likely need to re-apply thermal post.

It's vital to the life of your computer.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

While some call it "paste" it's not like Elmer's Glue.

What it's called depends on who you ask and how it's made. Thermal paste, compound, or grease, it's pretty much the same idea.
    Personally I like Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound, it's more expensive but it's also better for cooling when applied correctly.

4. carlheinz

carlheinz New Member

It's not supposed to dry at all. But as for reapplying it every few months!!! Why would you so that?

5. mash4077

mash4077 Guest

its also called thermal grease. as carl says it ain't supposed to dry, that way it seals well, your supposed to make sure that when you lift the heatsink that you twist it about first before lifting to break the seal down between chip and sink so that you don't pull the pin out funny or displace it any by accident.

never heard anyone say owt about replacing the stuff every few months, had mine as is for over two years, no rise in processor temp.