Thermal compound question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by epitaph, Jan 10, 2004.

1. epitaph

epitaph Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus.

So I just installed my Zalman CNPS7000-Cu and I keep second guessing myself about the thermal compound I put on. I keep thinking I put too much. I got Arctic Silver 5 and applied it as per the instructions on their website (small dab in the center of the cpu heat speader, then lower the heatsink onto it). Right now I idle around 34-36 degrees celsius and it hasn't gone above 47 degrees at max load so far. I know those are good numbers, I also understand that the temperature will drop 2-5 degrees during the break in period for the compound, but I can't stop thinking I put too much. Will there be any noticable temperature difference if I used too much, or would it be worthwhile to remove it all and do it again spreading a thin layer?

By the way it's a P4 2.4C, running at 2.77 ghz, stock voltage.

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

yeah if u put too much (like gob it on like cocking) it will cause a problem.

what i find that works is put ur dab on... press ur heatsync against it. lift off heatsync, clean it off (alcohol and cotton swabs) and clean around the processor where it has overflown too (if it has)... now reapply the heatsync... i find that works better then the exacto-method.

but why are u so worried about ur temps? they are far within normal ranges, and a quick search on google would provide you an answer.

geez... we gotta make a thread saying "this is an acceptable range for amd and intel processors... now drink a cup of shut the hell up."

3. epitaph

epitaph Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus.

:o

Thanks. Yeah I know the temps are fine, still just paranoid I guess, being the first time I've done this. That and I plan to OC more once I get a better power supply.

4. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

sounds like you did it just fine to me. Average temps too. I wouldnt worry.

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

now *that* is an avatar