LGBT there's looking good, and then there's looking trendy

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by RedGoober4Life, Nov 8, 2004.

1. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

And I must say it seems like there is a very fine line.

Now a trucker hat, meh. Okay, it can work on some people. But when you add it with a pink polo and a track jacket all from the same store at the same exact time you begin to look like an imense crunchy bowl of bandwagon.

But I think some of the people that buy all of these burn through their money since I saw quite a few wearing sandels. I don't know about those people because I woke up and it was cold.

This is apparently a "lifestyle" now. I heard two of...we'll call them "them" because I really don't know, talking about how they live an "abercrombie lifestyle." Uhm. WTF does that mean.

Excuse me I'm going to go live the Aunt Annie's pretzel's lifestyle now.

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I couldn't agree anymore.. I'm so tired of seeing the abercrombie 'lifestyle' and trends.. As you said, there is looking great, and being trendy.. Don't forget American Eagle too.. That place reaks of fashion trends..add hollister as well. The trucker hats, the flipped collar on the pink or bright green polo shirt, flip flops, brown dirty jeans, track jackets, etc..

No thanks. Even though it's not my style, I can appreciate when someone is dressed nice. This style doesn't even carry a nice appearance. It appears (to me) as sloppy and lazy..

Maybe I'm too critical since I try to be very cleancut and organized (appearance wise - just call me Will Truman) but these are the same kids that will be wearing a completely different trend next spring when A/F and AE change their line to match next years look... I just can't stand the bandwagon.

As I always say - Fashion isn't wearing what's trendy and "IN".. fashion is wearing what makes YOU look good and stand out.

3. RedGoober4Life

I'm not completely "YOU SUCK YOU WEAR _____" but sometimes I think people buy things at these stores just because it has that name associated with it. And that bothers me only when it looks bad, which is about half of the time. Or when they buy half of the store; the half that looks bad.

4. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

I have a set of these! It also happens to be the faded very comfortable set. Mine go back to normal when I quit playing in the garage and throw them in the washer.

The dirty looking ones are the most annoying thing ever. I dont like it when my favorite pair looks like that, I cant see why anyone would want a set that always looks dirty.

5. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

I'll wear anything as long as it looks good, and just as important, fits well. My wardrobe is equal parts: A&F (mostly for the gym), Banana Republic, Kenneth Cole, Quiksilver, CK, Gap and a few things from other brands. I don't really think I own anything trendy. No shredded jeans, no trucker hats and definitely no track suits. I've been told I have a very simple, well-put-together, look.

I believe that you have to fit a certain look though. Some people can pull off some looks while others can't, it's just a fact. Brands choose models who make their clothes look best. Hence, why A&F clothes and their imitators tend to have chisled young white guys who probably would've been deified in ancient Rome. It's for this reason that people believe that when they buy clothes, they're also buying into a lifestyle and an image as well. If you advertise right, you can sell absolutely anything...even busted-ass jeans, which this season come pre-paint-stained :ugh:.

To some extent, I believe that you are indeed buying into an image, that's just how brands work. However, I also think that it's important that you fit that image you're trying to buy into, because if you can't pull it off then you'll just look like a trendy wannabe.

6. DatacomGuy

Agreed.. you helped make some of my points for me. ;)

ExDelayed - 'dirty' jeans look is OK, it's just if you walk into AE, it's all they have hanging from their displays.. those or shredded jeans. I too have one set of 'dirty' jeans, but they aren't over-bearing.

7. RedGoober4Life

Confusing image with lifestyle is kind of like confusing "red car" with "red corvette Z06." :)

It just doesn't work.

And speaking of the dirty jeans--my dirty jeans never look like their dirty jeans. I don't know, they never wear out on the thigh above the knee--always at the knee. And I never get the oil or tranny fluid on it that evenly. It's always, splattered. And if I am over my friend's house and her dad asks me to help him with something and I don't want to get good clothes dirty--I put on coveralls. I don't see what the problem is with this. grrr

I think I care too much about what other people are doing.

8. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

I stopped. Makes me a much happier person. :wiggle:

9. cedric

Funny you should mention that. There was a red Z06 at my gym today..along with: a 2001 Diablo, a Porsche GT2, a 993 turbo, an NSX, and several Z's. There's the occasional Ferrari now and then too. I think the company next door manufactures crack or something.

10. RayC

RayC Don't 'cha wish your offense was hot like me???

I couldn't agree with you more. Take for example a few months ago I got a gift certificate to the mall for my birthday, finally decided to go clothes shopping and decided to go to A&F first thinking I would go all the way and deck myself out with "in" clothing, I walked out empty handed. The style was just not me, what I noticed was that a lot of the shirts had something stupid printed on it, and casual clothing was way overpriced. Hollister and American Eagle had the same thing going; if anything only their athletic apparel seems practical and fairly priced.

11. RedGoober4Life

I saw a testarossa today. I think it may have been a kit car.:ugh:

12. cedric

That's unfortunate. IMO, the look of the car means nothing if it can't back that look up with quality and performance. They're just glorified body kits.

13. Jaycee0521

Jaycee0521 New Member

is following the trend but looking ridiculous in it considered looking trendy?

14. DatacomGuy

Following the trend in of itself could be considered somewhat trendy..