There is only one obvious solution to this problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by canIscream, Feb 10, 2010.

1. canIscream

canIscream Dog Crew is Best Crew

That is buy a new computer.

However, that is not an option. A few months ago I replaced the hard drive on my iBook G4 with a bigger, non failing one. It worked fine for a few weeks. Now I'm having some pretty serious issues.

When plugged into the wall, the charge light cycles from charged to charging every 45 seconds or so. Prior to this happening, it was on regular charge cycles and maintaining a 2.5 to 3 hour battery life. This was not a gradual change. This just started happening.

Around the same time, I noticed that the computer will not save anything that I try and download. If I try to download a torrent, it will just say it's corrupt and not download it. If I try and download a purchased MP3 from iTunes, I have the same problem. I can download the MP3 from my iPhone, but the computer will typically lock up when transferring purchased items from my phone to my computer. Right now, it is trying to transfer podcast 1 of 44 to computer and has been stuck on this one for 20 minutes now.

Photos transfer to the computer without a problem. Otherwise I'd assume I did something wrong when I put the new hard drive in. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: The computer is pretty much only used for downloading songs for my iPod, and just keeping iPhone backups and that sort of stuff. I have a desktop I use daily. If I have to do something drastic or cheap, I'm not opposed to it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  2. canIscream

anyone?

3. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

i cant think of anything other then:

a) ship it to apple to see whats wrong
    b) go to the genius bar to see whats wrong.

4. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

reformat?

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Sadly, this seems to be the only solution.

6. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

how does it help this problem though?

"When plugged into the wall, the charge light cycles from charged to charging every 45 seconds or so. Prior to this happening, it was on regular charge cycles and maintaining a 2.5 to 3 hour battery life. This was not a gradual change. This just started happening. "

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

It would probably solve the other problem, which seems to be the bigger of the two.

But i'd assume something got fucked up over the course of time and it probably could benefit from one. Especially since it isn't regularly used either, it's not like he'd lose much.

8. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

Erase and Install in my opinion. Reinstall the OS after reformatting the hard drive with a boot disc.

9. canIscream

This is a new hard drive with a fresh format. The charge cycles aren't really a big deal at all. I just thought it was weird that they started happening at the same time and thought it might help to know for diagnosis. It would be nice if they didn't do that, but this computer is mostly just for iPhone backups and holding my music and podcasts and photos. Most of it is backed up on a portable hard drive also.

I'll try a new format like you guys suggest, but I'm not sure that's going to be the solution. I've read a lot on this since I made this thread. It seems as though the issue might be the DC inverter powering the hard drive. Interruptions in power might be what's causing this and might have been what caused the last hard drive to die. This could be a whole issue with the logic board also.

Basically this thing is a money pit at this point if I have to start looking into logic boards. I'll just have to get a new computer at some point in the near future.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make a Windows computer work with an external Hard Drive that was originally formatted for an apple computer?

10. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

11. canIscream