GUN There is exactly one 01FFL in D.C. that is going to sell guns

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Buzz Killington, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

According to WTOP radio this morning :rofl:

There are 6 01 FFLs who reside in DC. This one guy is the only one who conducts any business and apparently he has been doing so from a low-key warehouse in Anacostia, selling firearms to security companies.

They said this morning he had "not yet decided" what he would charge for transfers in the interim period that guns are permitted but no public gun stores exist.

FUCK ME, what a great monopoly :rofl: :bowdown:

2. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

1. Pick up an FFL
    2. Profit?

3. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Um, any one of the other 5 that don't are violating Federal Law.

4. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Good luck getting a store front.

5. Admitted

Don't need one. You can do it out of your home as long as you have the proper safe.

6. Admitted

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

You can't just have a FFL and sit on it. You must have regular hours and deal firearms.

8. Buzz Killington

To get me to move into DC to sell guns, I would HAVE to be surrounded by an arsenal of weapons :rofl:

9. Buzz Killington

Maybe they are "home" guys that do limited transfers. I don't know. There is one guy that advertise at the NRA range for that service, I think all he does is transfers.

10. Admitted

You are 100% correct. The US government has a federal law that forces someone to do business.:ugh:

Free market economy ftw.

11. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

You still reserve the right to not conduct business with anyone for any reason.

12. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Yes, they do have federal laws that deal with firearms :ugh:

13. Buzz Killington

I wonder if I could have C&R guns sent to my office now instead of home :o

They probably would not like that :o

14. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I believe the transferee must be an FFL if the shipper is a person who is a (1)dealer (2) engaged in the business of selling firearms (3) with the principal objective of livelihood and profit, criminalism or terrorism. Here are some definitions from the Gun Control Act of 1968. [Note, I think this means the shipper must be an FFL, but the “dealer” as defined, does not necessarily have to be unless he is a “licensed dealer” (FFL)].
    (11) The term "dealer" means
    any person engaged in the business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail,
    any person engaged in the business of repairing firearms or of making or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms, or
    any person who is a pawnbroker. The term "licensed dealer" means any dealer who is licensed under the provisions of this chapter.
    (21) The term "engaged in the business" means –
    (A) as applied to a manufacturer of firearms, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the firearms manufactured;
    (B) as applied to a manufacturer of ammunition, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition manufactured;
    (C) as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section 921(a)(11)(A), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms; Note: I call this the collector exception
    (D) as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section 921(a)(11)(B), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional repairs of firearms, or who occasionally fits special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms; [Note: I call this the hobbiest exception]
    (E) as applied to an importer of firearms, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to importing firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the firearms imported; and
    (F) as applied to an importer of ammunition, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to importing ammunition as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition imported.
    (22) The term "with the principal objective of livelihood and profit" means that the intent underlying the sale or disposition of firearms is predominantly one of obtaining livelihood and pecuniary gain, as opposed to other intents, such as improving or liquidating a personal firearms collection: Provided, That proof of profit shall not be required as to a person who engages in the regular and repetitive purchase and disposition of firearms for criminal purposes or terrorism. For purposes of this paragraph, the term "terrorism" means activity, directed against United States persons, which…
    Now, when can a individual ship a firearm
    First, here is what is illegal, and where the exception is found [Section 922 (a) (2) (A)] for an owner (not a licensed dealer, licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed collector) to ship a lawfully owned firearm to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer or licensed collector.
    922. Unlawful acts
    (a) It shall be unlawful for
    (1) any person –
    (A) except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce; or
    (B) except a licensed importer or licensed manufacturer, to engage in the business of importing or manufacturing ammunition, or in the course of such business, to ship, transport, or receive any ammunition in interstate or foreign commerce;
    (2)for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that –
    (A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;

15. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Clearly, it is illegal.

16. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

So if i open up a gun shop and NOBODY comes in to buy my guns, I'm conducting an illegal business?

17. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They maybe grandfathered in from back when getting one was much easier, and "tabletop ffl's" were much more common.

18. Admitted

You don't know shit. That is talking about a transfer to an FFL. NOTHING ABOUT WHAT IS REQUIRED OF A FFL. Way to quote the wrong law dipshit.

19. Admitted

No law in the United States requires anyone to conduct business if they do not which to do so. I know many people in IL who have FFLs and only ship stuff to themselves. But, I do not know when they acquired these licenses.

20. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Because those that deal with firearms are the same as those that deal baseball cards

:rofl:

Yeah, ok.

21. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Now a days to get one your suppose to have some sort of storefront, I think might still be able to base it out of your home but only if your in a zoned commercial area. But yeah as far as doing transfers and what not you dont have to, some shops here outright refuse to do them or charge an amount that noone would bother. The ATF made it much more difficult to get them, back in the 80's people were using them like c&r's just for there own collecting thats a no no now.

22. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

The law was passed in '68, I doubt Sugarmann from the VPC is that old.

Also amusing to note, the VPC is the "dealer" location of his FFL.

23. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I can see that if you are selling guns but don't do transfers you are fine, or vice versa.

But if you are dealing no firearms at all, you are violating the '68 law.

You can refuse business from people, but you can't refuse business from everyone.

24. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Maybe our resident lawyer can shed some interpretation on the law

25. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Storefront can also mean a virtual storefront.
    There are many FFLs who do business from their homes, no physical store but because they have an e-commerce website they are covered.