there is an IP address conflict with another system on the network

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2xPutt, May 12, 2007.

1. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

what the fuck does that mean?

been having problems with my actual internet lately, no biggie

now when my girlfriend logs into her laptop (with wireless airport(? i think that's how it's spelled), my PC that has the linksys wireless router connected to it keeps popping up an message balloon saying this "there is an IP address conflict with another system on the network". she is unable to connect 1. to my router and 2. to anything that uses the internet of course. it has never done this in the past 3 months of her being connected through my wireless router.

how do I fix this and what is going on? i appreciate any help in advance.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you have two gateways running two DHCP servers on the same subnet :mamoru: :rofl:

PEBKAC

3. Create

Create :free at last:

1. relevent info is lacking, but then we're here to ask the right questions

2. readibility of you post is too poor for me to give a fuck. edit and try again.

4. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

what does that mean exactly? I'm computer-inclined here :o

and how do I fix it? it's never done this before, it's been working great for 3 months or so.

5. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

fuck you, jollyogre could read it just fine and understood what was going on, so :gtfo: :wavey:

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Apparantly not.

why are you using two routers? Is your wireless? If so, eliminate the airport. If not, then eliminate yours and just use the airport. If you absolutely need both, then disable the DHCP server on one of them (whichever does not have the WAN connected)

7. Electric Jaguar

Electric Jaguar New Member

For the three people that have posted above me: learn how to use the fucking English language. On an Internet message board, your credibility all but goes out the window when you misspell words like "relevant" and "apparently," or if you think that "computer-inclined" somehow denotes an ignorance of computers. You'd think that after the thousands of posts each of you has made on this forum, some basic grasp of English would have been transferred, if only through osmosis.

I will help the OP, however, because of his awesome avatar. Check the TCP/IP settings of your girlfriend's laptop - ensure that it is set up for using DHCP, rather than manually configuring an IP address. Also, ensure that your wireless network is secured with WEP/WPA encryption. It is possible, albeit unlikely, that someone on the outside is fucking with your LAN.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dude, just don't even bother. It's a losing battle.

- - -

IP address conflicts occur when more than one computer has the same IP address. (duh....) If you have a laptop and you connect to a lot of different networks on a regular basis, this can happen even if DHCP is enabled like Electric Jaguar says it should be, because your computer will remember what its IP address was the last time it connected to a network, even if that network has already given that address to another computer.

Right-click on the network connection icon next to the clock on the Start bar, and select "Status" from the menu that appears. If the "Support" tab in the "Connection Status" window says that the "Address Type" is "Assigned by DHCP", go ahead and click the "Repair" button to get a new IP address. Otherwise, further steps need to be taken.

- - -

Also, "osmosis" is diffusion as specifically applies to water-based solutions. I believe Jag meant to say "diffusion". :big grin:

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you are a fucking tool and a n00b, therefore you mean nothing to me. In fact, your n00bness is apparant because you fail to grasp simple concepts. One such important concept is the longer you post on a forum, the worse your grammar tends to become.