there has to be a better way

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Leb_CRX, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

one of my clients wants to upgrade one of their win 2000 pro servers

going from some pos whitebox to some pos IBM eseries server

is there a way to copy everything over cleanly? it's running all sorts of services and custom applications that I do not know anything about, and dont want to deal with headaches of manually copying everything over...not sure if there's a better way or not, figured I'd post here first

any ideas? :wtc:

2. 7960

7960 New Member

vmware, I believe ESX is what you're looking for but I could be wrong. If that's what I'm remembering, you can migrate one "machine" to another with zero downtime.

http://www.vmware.com/products/esx/faqs.html

Or you could just swap the disks from the old one to the new one and hope w2k finds all the new hardware on bootup :hsugh:

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Any version of Windows NT should be able to handle detecting all-new hardware. I haven't had any problem.

Another option is to do a full MSBackup of the old server onto a network folder or an external hard disk, including the creation of an Automated System Repair floppy disk. You can then install Windows on the new server and instruct it to use the layout saved on the ASR disk to recreate an exactish replica of the old server's hard disks.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

That only works if you are moving from a physical server to a virtual one (called P2V, and it's an add-on to ESX Server)