The "You must power off..." screen

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Dec 22, 2006.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

Yesterday I was playing a game on my G4 Powerbook and in the middle of playing I got an overlay screen that said something like "You must power off your computer.." and explained how to hold the power button down until iit turned off. It also explained it in other languages.

So I powered it off and waited a few minutes. When I turned it back on, the laptop powered up but nothing came on the screen and I didn't get the startup noise. I powered it off and on again and it finally started. Once it was almost all the way into OSX, I got the above screen again. The above just repeated it self again.

After the third reboot I was able to use it and viewing the log file I determined it was some kind of Kernel error.

Since then it seems the laptop is lagging a lot more. It seems like it's paging a lot more (using the hard drive as memory). This could just be in my head but I'm not sure. Anyone have any info about this?

2. ih8mice

ih8mice New Member

i have experienced that on my g4 in the past...i'm not sure if this is the correct thing to do but i repaired permissions and it hasn't crashed like that since.

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

How do you do that?

4. Pr0Xima

Pr0Xima SPY ZAPPIN MAH SENTRY!

Finder > Utilities > Disk Utility > Click HDD on Left > Click repair permissions

Also booting from the OSX disk and repairing the disk will help.

Kernal panics are a fucking pain to troubleshoot sometimes.

5. verbal

verbal Active Member

Found my issue...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303173#faq1

Only one of my 512 chips is recognized. Swaped around the chips and there's nothing wrong with them, so it's what's mentioned on the above link.

Problem is it seems that there's a TON of Powerbook G4's experiencing this problem outside of the serial number range they're replacing out of warranty and Apple is doing NOTHING about them. Fucking ridiculous.

I know I can just buy a 1 gig chip and I'll be fine but I'd rather have it replaced. Has anyone ever had a motherboard replaced on a Powerbook before? How much was it? Someone mentioned in the Apple forums it was around $300, which sucks but isn't THAT bad. Then Apple care tells me it's $650 + $100 labor. No. Way. I'd rather buy a new Macbook Pro. Anyone recommend any third party repair places?

6. verbal

verbal Active Member

No one has had an out of warranty repair?